collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First So-Soft Obtained-need cleaning advice!  (Read 524 times)

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
First So-Soft Obtained-need cleaning advice!
« on: August 04, 2021, 09:46:53 PM »
I recently went to a vintage toy store and picked up a bunch of G1 and G3 ponies. I was able to clean and style most of them, and they turned out great! However, I am having trouble with one of them, Cupcake, who is the first so soft pony in my collection.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She's in very nice condition for a white so soft, her flocking is still full and soft and only worn on the tip of one ear. She's a little dirty around the hooves, and she has a stain around on the back of her neck that looks easily removable.

I'd like to fix her up and get her looking nice and clean, but I'm struggling  with how to best clean her in a way that won't damage her because she's in such good condition and don't want to accidentally ruin her on my first try cleaning a so soft. The trouble is, many people on the internet seem to have differing methods on how to best clean so softs. I've heard some people say to use conditioner to clean them, and others use dish soap. I've heard some people say to scrub them with a toothbrush, but others say to use your hands because the toothbrush would damage their flocking. I've heard that cold water is the best to clean them with because it won't loosen the glue, but I also heard that some people use warm water as well. Overall, I'm seeing a lot of contradicting opinions on how to clean so soft ponies, and want to make sure my first attempt goes smoothly. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
Re: First So-Soft Obtained-need cleaning advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:55:10 PM »
I personally start by washing their bodies in cool water. Once they're soaked, I gently lather conditioner over their body with my hands. I'll completely rinse the conditioner out after letting them sit a couple minutes. SS Paradise was my first cleaning, and I preserved her near-mint flocking with this process.

I can't vouch for whether it's safe to use dish soap, but I've found those other cleaning concerns aren't accurate.
Firstly, I'm almost positive a careful toothbrush scrubbing wouldn't damage flocking at all, especially one with softer bristles. When I deflocked Lofty, despite her numerous thinning and bald patches, that remaining fuzz was extremely stubborn to remove! Secondly, I definitely don't recommend hot water, since it's literally used for deflocking SS ponies. However, lukewarm water or cooler probably won't do anything if you clean gently.

SS ponies aren't too difficult to clean once you try. Good luck! ^.^

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First So-Soft Obtained-need cleaning advice!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
I have cleaned them with the toothbrush/paste method and it worked just fine.  The main key is to not use hot water, as that will loosen the glue.  Obviously you have to be gentle due to the flocking regardless and depending on how dirty, you might have to try a couple of rounds to get them clean.  Pretty much any of the methods will likely work, so it depends on your preference.  You can try multiple methods, as long as you make sure to clean and dry her very well between so the different cleaners aren't mixing.

She absolutely is adorable and you hit the jackpot finding one with such great flocking!  Some were like that right out of the package, so she is beautiful for a thrift store/vintage store find.  Congrats!
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal