collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Animal/pet thread!  (Read 1378 times)

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
Animal/pet thread!
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:56:40 AM »
I was unable to find an active pet thread (let me know if I missed it?) so I wanted to start one. :biggrin: Tell us about your pets, or about animals you have encountered lately!

I have two budgies I adore.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hayato is a female born in September 2016. I got her when I lived in Japan, so I wanted to give her a Japanese name, and Hayato is a boys' name that means falcon man. It's hard to pinpoint the genders of young budgies, so I thought she was a boy at first, but the name stuck even after I found out she's a girl.

She has been completely tame since day one, and she loves to rummage around and explore. She is very curious and will quickly fly over to investigate visitors. She is rather bossy (I am NOT allowed to touch her), but very sweet and loving, and she loves to sit with me while I'm doing my tasks, sometimes while preening my face and hair.

The portraits behind them were made very quickly to cover up a hole she chewed in the wallpaper. Lol. The frames are unfinished wood so they are safe for the birds to chew on.

Adelaide, or Adel for short, is a male I adopted in December last year. He was either born in spring of 2020, or three years prior... he had been through a couple of homes already and the people I adopted him from had taken in a bunch of budgies and lost track of which bird was which. He was an aviary bird before he moved in with us, and was fairly used to humans, but not completely tame. It's been a work in progress, but I've slowly but surely gotten him to warm up to me (he bonded with Hayato, who was skeptical at first, after about a week or two). Unlike Hayato, he allows people to touch him, and really likes to get little head scratches.

Adel is very loud and excitable and loves to sing and dance for us all day, but he is shy and awkward towards humans! Up until recently he never came over to sit with me on his own like Hayato does. He came over to sit with us twice today and I'm overjoyed with this development!

I love all animals and would especially love to own a dog again someday, but I'm not in the position for that right now. I grew up with dogs (Norfolk terrier, ducktolling retrievers) and was the proud owner of an Airedale terrier for over ten years. He was such a character and an amazing friend. I also had rabbits and hamsters growing up, and have an especially soft spot for rabbits, but I am unfortunately allergic to hay so I'm not sure how that would work out.

I'm rambling and could honestly go on, but :biggrin: Tell me about yours!

Wishlist

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Animal/pet thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »
Oh, your birdies are so beautiful!
I have pet ferrets, they're my evil little gremlins. I don't have any pictures on hand right now though.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »
Aw, your birds are so cute! I love the little portraits.

This is my almost 19 year old kitty named Mouse.

I came home from having Thanksgiving dinner at my then boyfriend's house and she was a tiny kitten on my porch. It was cold and raining and I said "hello kitty" - she looked up at me and sighed like she was saying 'finally someone noticed me'.

I had another cat then (who passed away a few years ago) and Mouse wanted to cuddle her, but Bastet didn't want anything to do with the small fluff ball. They eventually learned to live with one another and I had them together for 17 years, until Bass passed away. Now it's been just me and Mousie.

She got her name for a reason! As you can see above, she loves sink drinks, and always has. In the house I lived in when she was a kitten, the bathroom door was cut too short and there was a big gap in the bottom. Mouse was able to crawl under the door and pop up on the other side and would always do it when someone was in the bathroom. So she was like a mouse, squeezing under the gap :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »
Here are my crew:

Grey kitty to the left is Heather, she was my baby.  She passed almost two years ago.
 White kitty is Austin.  He has one stone-cold blue eye, so he is named after WWE wrestler stone cold Steve Austin. 
Black kitty is Carter.  He's named after Sheriff Carter from one of the most amazing TV shows ever, Eureka!
Orange kitty is Cena, named after John Cena.  Wrestling theme because kittens like to tumble and wrestle.  Cena was just diagnosed with lymphoma.

My outdoor kitty Sassy (I didn't name her, she came with it) and my dog Carmen.  Carmen is named after this character I heard on the radio many years ago who did prank phone calls on air.  They always started with "Hola, this is Carmen!"

These are my chickens Little Chick and Bernadette.  Bernadette fell off a chicken truck on the way to the processing plant three years ago.  I read that this meat breed, as a pet, is short lived.  Let's hope she lives longer than what Google says (3 years!). 
I wanted a companion for Bernadette.  My friend who has chickens offered me one of her's.  She showed me a photo of a beautiful lavender Buff Orpington.  What she brought to my house was this scraggly, ugly(no offense you other chicken lovers) Americauna.  So I never really bonded with her or gave her a real name.  We just called her Little Chick all the time and it became her name.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 05:00:53 PM by Gator »

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 02:56:17 AM »
@starrynights
I love ferrets so much! Evil little gremlins is a great way to describe them lol. I have a friend who's had a bunch of ferrets over the years and they're SO much fun to play with. Their little war dances and subtle noises are so cute!

@BlackCurtains
Aww what a sweet story! Mouse is a really beautiful cat! Love her little white tail tip :inlove:

@Gator
Ooohh I love them all! Best wishes for Cena, that's really tough. Are you going to treat it?

I think both chickens are beautiful, but I just really love all birds :biggrin:

Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 03:03:17 AM »
The budgies are adorable :) Also, you get away with the name Hayato, even though it is a male name generally. The 'to' is technically using the character for 'person', not 'man', which makes it nicely neutral for your purposes xD.

I haven't had pets for a long time. I used to play with the neighbour's cat a lot, but now I just watch the wildlife. We did have fish for a very long time though, when I was a kid. It's sad when people put them in tanks with nothing but water. We rescued our first two from a situation like that, as they were going to be tossed out (!). And we had a lot of great characters over the years we had them. One was an interior designer. She'd spend hours organising the gravel into different colour sections. Then Mum would change the water and she'd get all annoyed and start reorganising them again.

Fish definitely don't have 3 second memories. We had a fish jump out once when we were away...when we came back we found the fish dead and it had clearly happened days before. But when we got home, the surviving fish was frantically at the side of the tank trying to tell us something was wrong. She knew, and probably always knew, what had happened to her friend. :/

Our longest living goldfish was 9 or 10 years old. If you give them a good environment then they can live a really long time.

Lately, I've been going to see the baby moorhens at the pool. Watching the parents diligently making sure the babies get all the food they want before eating anything themselves is quite heartwarming. They've always seemed a bit of a reckless species, parenting-wise, but now I guess I'm seeing that's not the case.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 02:24:19 AM »
Fish are amazing, and they're so sadly misunderstood and people are so cruel to them. Your mother's fish sounds like quite the character! I have a friend who managed to teach their fish a few tricks.

Wishlist

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 03:04:06 AM »
I went to visit my friend yesterday and got to say hi to her mother's rottweiler, Titus :lovey: I managed to snap a rare photo of him looking very handsome and dignified. He is a giant bumbling oaf, and he loves to throw his entire weight at you. It's a bit too much to handle even for me, who loves huge rambunctious dogs. Lol. He is so full of love though!

Wishlist

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
Aaaw, I love pets!

Here´s my beloved silly Welsh corgi, Hiro. He is my faithful companion and partner in crime :heart:

And here are some random photos of my duckies! Right now we have seven.
They are so goofy and funny and loves to hang around. They think they are dogs.

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 10:02:55 AM »
Do I see Muscovies among the ducks??? They're the cutest xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
They sell turtles here like petco sells bettas, in little cups...
It was the size of a half dollar - now its the size of my hand

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:34:33 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 10:50:34 AM »
Do I see Muscovies among the ducks??? They're the cutest xxx
They are all Muscovys☺️ The pie-balds are still youngsters so they don’t have their caruncles yet.

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 07:31:25 AM »
Right now I have four little birds - one society finch and three zebra finches.  The zebras are all rescues and have various issues from the neglected state they were in when the bird rehabber got them.  The society does his best to show them how to be birds.  I've had him for about six years but I have no idea on the ages of the zebras.  I have really been enjoying their company while working from home, especially since my dog died last summer.  I had had her for almost fifteen years and we had so many adventures together, including living in England for over three years, working as a therapy dog team, going to agility competitions, doing fieldwork together, but mostly just spending time together out in nature.  We walked alot of miles and saw/smelled alot of things. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 11:50:41 PM »
I have a cat called Puma. Technically it's my husband's cat since he was found, neutered and taken care of etc. by my husband before we all met. Also I don't want to be responsible for him because he won't get into his cat carrier without being cat-napped in a towel and it's all a bit traumatic. He hates the car. He's black with a white floof on his chest and he has bright green eyes. He's naughty, likes to be in company all the time and barges his way into the house whether invited or not. He has a very loud voice, possibly because we never bothered getting a cat flap so he shouts when he wants to come in, with meows becoming more hurt and accusing the longer we ignore him. He is always hungry and also likes catching mice. I feed him pouches of slimy catserrole in return for gifts of little furry corpses of mice. He loves getting under my feet especially when I'm carrying something heavy, so I'm sure that's how he will eventually die...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 04:15:53 AM »
I have a gray tux named Zelgadis or Zelly for short,

and a medium long hair Calico named Scotland or Fluffybutt.

Fluffybutt was part of a litter that a random black and white tux decided to use our garage/shed to give birth to. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Even though her mom was comfortable with us Fluffy and her sisters are not well socialized since they didn't need us since they had each other.

Scotland is top left, to the right of her is (Ki)Mono, directly beneath her is Irissa, and ar the bottom is Cossette or "Zetta".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 04:17:30 AM by TwistedRiver »

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal