collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did I get Magic Star's original ribbon?  (Read 722 times)

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
Did I get Magic Star's original ribbon?
« on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »
The first thing I do after getting a new pony, is go in the wiki to see what color ribbon to give her. My new Magic Star I picked up yesterday is in beautiful condition, and already came with one... and as I looked her up, I realized that the one she got was incredibly similar to the one on the picture of the MOC pony. I do have the euro version and not the US version, but I don't know if that matters.

Can anyone confirm/deny if this is the original ribbon?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Two more pictures:

Spoiler

Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Did I get Magic Star's original ribbon?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »

This is not a great picture, but it does indicate that the ribbon is also pink on the movie star. I've never had the MOC so I can't be sure if it's the right ribbon but it's in the right ballpark...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
I can't even make out where the ribbon is in that picture, but it's a start! Thank you  :happy: At least it doesn't seem like there's another color ribbon in there.

Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 02:32:25 AM »
I'll dig rhrough my archived photos to see if I have a better one, though I suspect if I did I would've used it on the site already. It's not my pony or my photo and it comes from a long long time ago so I don't have a bigger version of that.

I know that Babydoll and Leikin both have some MOC from this set, I'm not sure if either of them have Magic Star. I did a google search too but she doesn't seem to come up :/

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 04:09:21 AM »
Oh! Thank you for going through the trouble! I just spent a bit of time browsing your website and I absolutely love it, it brought back so many memories  :lovey: I didn't grow up in the UK or anything, but the Scandinavian pony releases seemed to be very similar.

On a related note, how hard are original ribbons to find? Does anyone have any in their collections? I think they're super neat and would love to have some, but I'm assuming it's hard to be 100% certain if they really are original. Ribbons complete the ponies for me... I always make sure my ponies have them, even the ones who originally didn't come with any.

Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »
It's no trouble! Unfortunately I don't have a better image of MOC Magic Star from the movie star release, fingers crossed maybe Leikin sees this thread and can help...

I think that there are a lot of crossovers with the UK and various scandinavian releases. Although Scandinavia did have the early unicorn and pegasus ponies and we didn't.

Aside ones MOC, I think it depends whether a pony has a distinctive ribbon or whether the pony has always been kept with its original accessories. I definitely have some with their original ribbons. One was sadly Movie Star Wind Whistler as she came off her card in transit :/ Others have come with their original ribbon, comb etc still fastened to stickers or leaflets. But it is pretty hard to know for sure if it's a pony with a common ribbon colour since they can fade and discolour. Sometimes there's minor differences in them from the start as well, Hasbro were also not always consistent.

Not to start a whole discussion about ribbons here, but my MOC Honeycomb (who is on the wrong card) has a much lighter brush and ribbon than some other MOC Honeycombs I've seen. But they don't belong to any other pony that I am aware of - they don't belong to the pony whose card she is on. So it must be batch.

I think in this case the pony coming with a pink ribbon makes it circumstantially likely it might be hers, but you will probably never know 100% without knowing what other ponies were also with that pony originally, how many homes it has been through, and what accessories were sold with what ponies in which places.

Some people are really fastidious about ribbons and accessories but I tend to mostly keep the loose ones I have in a big bag unless I am certain they belong to a specific pony ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 10:39:51 PM »
I find that the Wiki focusses on the USA, so I also use Taffeta's site and Chrissytree's site as well

https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com/pink.html

I'm in the UK so I save pictures of MOC UK ponies when I see them and try to use them as a reference. Since I would never de-box a pony myself I know I can never be 100% confident about original accessories, but I like to try
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 04:05:22 AM »
The ribbon on Magic Star pictured on that site looks SO much like the one I got... I really think I might have the original! Like I'm not going to claim anything 100%, but it seems likelier by the minute. I am probably WAY more excited than I should probably be about a 30 year old ribbon  :silly:

Might go back and ask the seller if they know anything.

Wishlist

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 08:04:35 AM »
The ribbon on Magic Star pictured on that site looks SO much like the one I got... I really think I might have the original! Like I'm not going to claim anything 100%, but it seems likelier by the minute. I am probably WAY more excited than I should probably be about a 30 year old ribbon  :silly:

Might go back and ask the seller if they know anything.

No that is really exciting. I would ask the seller if they have the brush too :D

Several ponies came with a hot pink ribbon but I don't have one. They seem a little harder to find.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 01:48:42 PM »
Of course, Chrissytree's site. Best site for accessories on the web. Well done Artie. My brain has escaped me this week, it's just been too hot and too chaotic to think straight :)

I would think that circumstantially it's likely that it is her ribbon :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal