collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Perfume Puff hair question  (Read 1321 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Perfume Puff hair question
« on: July 13, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
Hey there,

I remember the craze years ago to turn everything into a perfume puff where people had yarn and made so many. I made several but I always had trouble with the hair being long enough. I use the (forgot the name) paddle brush with the curves teeth to brush it out, and I do rehairing with needle and thread not a rehair tool and glue etc.

I was never sure if because if my method I’d it caused the hair to break, but I could never get the lovely long fibers of hair everyone did, and I was always lucky to just get a few inches on my perfume puffs.

I recently bought a puff that needs hair since hers was cut. If anyone could
Be of help I was appreciate it. Do you know of any specific brands and types that would work well for my project? Pictures help if anyone has a picture of their yarn or at least can tell me the label info. I would really like one that could hold up to the way I rehair and give me long pretty, fluffy hair.

Thanks!
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Perfume Puff hair question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:49:58 PM »
I've never made one but I know you have to use 100% acrylic yarn and I remember someone saying that cheap yarn works the best. The slicker brush with the curved teeth is used to get mats out of fur, so I would think that's not the best choice since it tends to pull them out rather than brush them out. That said, I don't know what kind of brush should be used. Maybe a different kind of pet brush without curved teeth?

Hopefully, someone else will come along with more advice and experience.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 12:50:59 AM »
Use merion wool it’s perfect for perfume puff ponies

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
I've only ever used Merino wool myself, not acrylic yarn, but maybe some doll rehair tutorials would be helpful? I was trying to get into doll repainting and noticed they use yarn a lot, watched so many videos, lol!

Try this one? https://youtu.be/Q74jg6hn_OI
Instead of mesh I've seen others use wooden skewers.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »
I remember buying Lion Brand Super Bulky. I think I pulled out lengths of fibre from the yarn before I put them in the pony, rather than comb them out afterwards. It was a bit random how long the bits were so I graded them by length before I started re-hairing. Mine are not so much perfume puff as perfume locks though, you can see some here: https://florencemeade.com/2018/05/11/i-also-restore-1980s-toys/

Heart's Desire was made with two different brands so you can see how brands might vary:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 01:01:00 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 11:40:58 PM »
Oh boy, a fab question! I've also had my fair share of issues with yarn hair - I love it, but sometimes it's just dumb luck as to whether your whole plug will shred into pieces once you start brushing or not.

I did find it helped me a lot to 'cheat' to buy extra-oversized yarn that is, essentially, already just acrylic roving, loosely formed into a yarn shape. I use this brand I found at Michael's, it's called "Chunky Luxe Big! Yarn by Loops & Threads", see: https://www.michaels.com/chunky-luxe-big-yarn-by-loops-and-threads/M10519317.html

And I used it on this lovely fellow, Phosphene:

As well as this fellow, Tyto:

This was my very first custom with yarn hair (Peppermint Pirate), and I made the mistake of thinking 'a soft yarn will produce a better poof'. Not so! A soft-feeling yarn means many tiny fibers, which fall apart and shred when they are unraveled and brushed!

This Trixie Mattel-themed gal was made with raw (washed but not carded/brushed) alpaca fiber glued to wefts, and while it turned out well, it's not particularly poofy; I just thought you might enjoy a contrast.

I've also made several other customs with 100% acrylic yarn, and they've all turned out well! The brand I used was something like 'super chunky' by the Royal Lion brand, as I've heard good things about them. Basically, I bought the thickest 100% acrylic yarn I could find, but I was always afraid to brush too much to get rid of the wavy texture, lest they lose all their fluff like Peppermint Pirate. Here we have:

Galaxy

Bouncy Bones

And finally, there's a new type of hair on the market, it's from TheDollPlanet, and it's called "NP Fluffy"; right now it only comes in white, pink, and purple, but it's quite lovely! It's not as dense as when I root with yarn, but they are calling it a good replacement for Perfume Puff ponies. IDK if I'd say that, but that's because I really liked the dense feeling that I got with the hair I used on Tyto. But for comparison, here is my Marie Antoineigh:

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

OH and I forgot to mention - I have heard that it's best to use a metal slicker brush on the hair, it helps to smooth it down without pulling out a lot of hair! But I haven't had a chance to try this myself, I bought a plastic one and it just isn't the same! :blush:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:43:16 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 09:05:06 AM »
Well, I've been schooled :lol: Thanks Snap, that's a good post :like:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
Thank you everyone for the advice. Thank you Snap for such a detailed explanation and the links. I’m going to Micheal’s to check out their selection. Also, those ponies are breathtaking, and I love the Marie hairdo.

Formerly Maddie

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
LOL BlackCurtains you're very kind, thank you! I didn't even realize how many poofy rehairs I made, because I never really 'got in' on the perfume puff rush that happened a few years ago, I felt like I was very behind everyone else! :lmao: I have seen people get some incredible results with yarn, I just couldn't personally make it work for myself the same way! :blush:

And thank you for the kind words Maddie, and you're welcome! Best of luck to you! Yarn rehairing is a lot of fun, I find in some ways it's easier than rehairing with regular hair! It's easy to knot (no little strands to lose a grip on), and for many yarns (not the super mega luxe chunk whatever :lmao: ) it's just one strand of yarn per plug! I'm working with the needle/wire method though, so with the tool it might be a little trickier. Be aware that I did break several holes on each pony I rehaired, simply because yarn can be too thick by its nature, but it's easy to stuff a couple more yarn plugs in there and keep it from slipping out.

I did forget one example, one of my earliest group of ponies used mohair! It was from a site which no longer supplies mohair, so I can't really give you a recommendation there! :lmao: BUT it did work out fabulously, and it was very nice to work with! :heart:

Here's mama Ixion:

And the babies!

You can see the babies have more of a curl to them, I think it's because I tried to brush out mama's hair more than theirs, and I let the little ones be a little more unruly. Mohair has a beautiful natural curl to it, you can see lots of gorgeous doll wigs made with mohair!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 07:27:25 PM »
No problem, I’ve actually seen your rehairs on FB, but I didn’t know it was you because you know real names and all.  :lol:

Those are really pretty! I actually only use the needle and thread method instead of the tool. The mohair ones are cool, and I’ve done a few in mohair. I actually years ago bought mohair from Etsy and cleaned, dyed, and set it myself. I used it for few rehairs and MH dolls and realized I was allergic.  >_<

Formerly Maddie

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:54:03 PM »
Oh gosh, LOL! Well, hi again! :lmao: Thank you for your kind words, and I'm sorry you're allergic to mohair! T_T I hope you're able to find a nice alternative! I haven't experimented with adding curls to acrylic; I'm sure you could! I just haven't tried it yet!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 04:27:17 AM »
Snapdragon are you into Final Fantasey? Seeing as you’ve done the unicorn from FFX

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
Snapdragon are you into Final Fantasey? Seeing as you’ve done the unicorn from FFX

OT but I always wanted to make an Ixion custom, or one of those blade-horned monsters from FFVIII (Mesmerize)... Just never got round to it, there's never enough time for all the ideas! :lol:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »

I am, I enjoy Final Fantasy a lot! This one is actually the Ixion from the XI franchise! :heart: (She doesn't have babies in the game, however! :lmao: )

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 04:06:41 AM »

I am, I enjoy Final Fantasy a lot! This one is actually the Ixion from the XI franchise! :heart: (She doesn't have babies in the game, however! :lmao: )

Talking about Ixion I always hum the my little pony theme song anytime I summon it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal