collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you ever rename your ponies?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Did you ever rename your ponies?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 09:03:08 AM »
I think we called "Hidden Treasure" something like "Treasure Hunt" because I could not remember her name for the life of me.
Aside from that, I call them by their canon US names unless I completely blank on it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
Definitely!  As a kid I either wasn't aware of or wasn't interested in the names (and genders) on the boxes/backcards, so I just named each pony after their symbols.  TAF Fifi was Bowties, Baby Gusty was Maple Leaf or just Leaf, Baby Bouncy was Beach Ball, Satin'n'lace was Wedding Bells, etc.  Tic-tac-toe was the same!  I did watch the cartoon but for whatever reason I didn't connect the characters with my toys.

Nowadays I try to use their given names.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
Guyflier and Fart Throb! :lmao:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 03:38:30 PM »
I don’t think I did. Even if I didn’t know the name, I just went by the mental image I had of them.  I rarely talked pony in depth enough to need to refer to lesser known ponies.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »
As a kid of the eighties, I knew most of the early ponies and those in the animated show.  Later, before I was banned from playing with ponies, I had three of the Sweetberry ponies, Magic Hat, and ordered MO Starhopper.  I never knew any ponies after that.  Fast forward to college 1996 or 1997, I find a Baby YoYo in a thrift shop.  But I don't know that's her name.  I had not discovered the pony website with names yet.  So I remembered Whizzer from the show, YoYos whizz, so I named her baby Whizzy and made her Whizzer's daughter.
That one newborn baby pony started me back on my pony journey, to where I am today.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 11:04:57 PM »
Yep. I didn't care about the names on the packages/couldn't read so I renamed almost all of them. Mostly easy names to remember associated with their symbols. Sugarberry was "Strawberry" etc.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 12:17:25 AM »
My orange unicorn is now called Esmeralda after hunchback of Norte Dame because of her Tambourines

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
To be honest none of my ponies had official names anyway. I named my Mommy Sweet Celebrations Balloons, and at first Daddy Sweet Celebrations was named Presents but when I was a little older I changed it to Mint because of his green mane and tail and I named their baby who I lost pretty soon after I got them, Confetti. I got the Pony Bride for my 9th birthday and named her Dove. I tended to name my ponies after their marks.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 11:14:23 AM »
I never renamed any of my ponies on  purpose, but there were a few I accidentally called the wrong name. For instance, for the longest time I had no idea Shoreline's name was Shoreline...I always remember calling her Sunshine (makes sense to me!  :lol:) When I found out her real name was Shoreline as recently as a few years ago, I was quite surprised!

Also, I always read Dainty Dahlia as Dainty Delilah (don't ask me why), so that's what she was called.

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
I don't recall if any of my ponies were renamed, save for calling Mommy Sweet Celebrations just Sweet Celebrations since I didn't have her family. But my best friend, who had a bunch of ponies shared with their sister, had a few.

The one that sticks out to me the most was Romperooni. Since she came nameless with Rainbow Flash, she was given a new name by the sister: Ola-oakla. Or... Holaoakla? Or... It was made to be said out loud, not written. I don't believe it meant anything, it just sounded nice. When I found out the real name, they both thought Romperooni sounded ridiculous, and honestly? I still think of the name Ohlaoakla when I see her.

Also, for a time G3 Bowtie was Bowtiey, but that's because my friend was still learning to read and misunderstood the name on the box. They were like six, it's excusable
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline dragglereeka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
My very first pony was the 1999 McDonalds Morning Glory, but because I couldn't read I just called her "Pinky" (creative I know..) Well we visited McDonalds three more times when they were on sale because I loved the ponies so much. I got a duplicate Morning Glory so I called them Pinky and Perky - and in my head they were twin babies.

Later when I started learning more about MLP I found their real name. I excitedly told my Mum "Pinky and Perky are actually called Morning Glory!" and she laughed and laughed! Kid me didn't get it  :pout: Its a flower okay, Mum!!

*Thankyou to Strawberry Swirl for my avatar*

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »
I would almost always go on Dream Valley as a kid to find out the names of all my ponies, but sometimes I'd forget.

My fancy pants babies were both called "Baby Diaper" jokingly by me and my brother.
Tiptoes (whose name I just had to look up because I still couldn't remember) was called Meadowlark after Clover's older sister in Tales. Her colours were right and she's a ballerina, like Meadowlark in the show.
Baby Cuddles was Baby Rattle until I found out her real name on Dream Valley.

I also disliked 4-Speed's NA name so I called him Trucker, his UK name.

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline aria_elwen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »
Bluebelle became Mummy Starlight because I was bought her at a carboot and even though I was told her real name Starlight didn't have a Mummy so...

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »
I keep the names for real MLP ponies but name fakies, especially Remcos. Usually after a G4 pony they look like or just a fitting name for them that sounds like an actual pony name :)
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2021, 04:06:37 PM »
As a kid I had a mix of ponies whose names and knew and ones I made up. The only name I made up that I can still remember is "Morning Song" which was my name for Brights Brightly (and to be honest I still usually think of her as Morning Song, it's a bit more normal sounding).

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal