collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you ever rename your ponies?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
Did you ever rename your ponies?
« on: July 12, 2021, 08:59:17 PM »
Do you have any ponies that you've given new names, either as a child, or part of your current collection?

I gave some, though not all of my G3's new names as a kid.

My namesake, Mrs. Prospector, was my name for Lolligiggle as a kid. She was named after Mr. Prospector, a prominent sire of racehorses whose name I overheard while watching the Kentucky Derby as a child, just because I thought the name was funny and reminded me of Stinky Pete from Toy Story.

Triple Treat was Candy Larry. I named a bunch of my toys Larry as a kid. I don't know why.

Rainbow Dash was Charlie Horse. At the time, I had no idea that a "Charley Horse" was a name for a muscle spasm. I just really liked the name Charlie.

Star Catcher was creatively, Pegasus. When I got Twirlerina, she got upgraded to Queen Pegasus and Twirlerina was King Pegasus.

Flower Flash wasn't labeled on the packaging with Petal Blossom, so I named her Baby Blossom. When I got a duplicate with the Skywishes music box, that one became her twin, Baby Petal.

Most of my babies I renamed, albeit very uncreatively. Butter Drop was Baby Cookie and Sandy Island was Baby Bucket.

Brights Brightly was Sunrise, Royalette was Sparkles, Royal Bouquet was Rose, and Pretty Pop was Gumball.

Crystal Lake was Twinkle Twirl, because I confused her for Twinkle Twirl for all those years.

What new names have you bestowed upon your ponies, past or present?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Did you ever rename your ponies?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 09:43:08 PM »
Yup.

Childhood ponies:

Sweet Pop was Popsicle.

I thought Salty was a dumb name and didn't understand the meaning, so I called him Tugboat.

Sunny Bunch was given to me by a friend and I didn't know her name,  so I called her Cassidy. I can't remember why.

Adult ponies:

Blushie was bought for me at a swapmeet, and I didn't know her name.  My daughter suggested I call her Bouquet,  and when I found out her name...well, her name is Bouquet as far as I'm concerned. Gorgeous pony, but Blushie is such a dumb name.

I didn't change 4-Speed's name, as much as I switched it to a regional name. Trucker is much better.

Its my belief that Hasbro had one too many mai tais when they named the tropical ponies. Hula Hula doesn't make any sense, so I gave her a Hawaiian name, Kalea.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 12:34:18 AM »
It's funny you say that, because while I don't rename ponies any more (unless it's accidental, LOL!), I had plenty of them as a kid! Probably because I was so young, I simply couldn't read/didn't remember their proper names. Dancing Butterflies simply because Butterflies - because she had multiple butterflies on her! "Beachy Keen and Baby" (both didn't even have a real name as I recall?) became Mommy Cat and Kitten! And so it went. Star Hopper became Space Ship, Sparkle Baby Gusty became Baby Balloon, Surprise was Balloons! Some of the names I like more than the 'real' names, because they just make sense! ;)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 01:17:08 AM »
Not in that sense, but several had nicknames that made them easier to remember - very obvious childhood nicknames, like Masquerade was Masky, Vanilla Treat was Nillie, Tropical Breeze was Tropi, etc etc. Baby Sister Sweet Celebrations was Cele (pronounced Selly). Nothing very original. Dancing Butterflies was Dabu. I remember that.

When my sister had the same pony as me they'd become twins, usually babies. So Baby Sunbright = Sunbright & Brightie, Tiddly Winks = Tiddly & Winks, etc etc.

...But when we found ponies at the carboot sale we didn't recognise (ones not sold in the UK) we'd come up with equally silly names for those. German Skydancer (Himmelstanzer) was Seagull. Pink Dreams was Kitty. Leaper was Baby Frog. I can't remember others. Those got updated once I knew who they were.

We always used the UK names so there weren't so many duplicate names to worry about. But even where there were, we didn't tend to rename those.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 02:04:37 AM »
Personally, I renamed a couple.

The new name is tambourine, let's not mention the old name.

Tootie tails is summer heatwave and Barnacle became captain.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 03:46:27 AM »
Dancing Butterflies is Dances with Butterflies in my herd :)

I don't think I re-named any of my ponies as a child, however Niddles and Dibbles/Dimples and Ruffles had an identity crisis as the puffy sticker names were different to their box name.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 04:47:10 AM »
@Kingluke, I don't think Summer Heatwave counts as a rename, as it is an official Hasbro name...any more than it would be renaming a pony to use the foreign language name in whatever country rather than the English one...

I still use the french names for a lot of my 1999-2000 g2 because we bought them in Paris...but they're the names on their packages so I don't consider that to be renaming them...

*ponders*

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 05:30:25 AM »
I renamed all of my ponies, but that's because back than i never knew they had names.
I never gotten a pony new in box so never seen their names.
Some of my renames :
Baby Tic Tac Toe = Regenboogje (Dutch for "small" Rainbow)
Dutch Diary Pony = Old Blue
Dutch Baby Cat - Kitty
Minty = Clover
Baby Fifi = Pipa Pixie
Windy = Magic
Nice 'n' Spicy = Raver (in my herd he was a boy and he had a haircut which kinda looked like a mowhawk)

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 05:33:38 AM »
Nope, I always referred to each pony by their canon name.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 05:52:39 AM »
My first pony, Sparkler, was renamed 'Tiffany', mostly because the package probably got thrown away in the chaos of birthday wrapping before I realized that she came with a name.

Some ponies, particularly those belonging to my way-younger sister, were designated as boys, because we needed boy ponies but didn't want to sacrifice our own ponies' identities and she was too young to protest. Gusty=Gus, Baby Cuddles=Carlos, Skyflier=Guyflier, Baby Shady=Wade,  Baby Heart Throb=Fart Throb. There were more, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 06:27:15 AM »
I think the only one I deliberately renamed was Starshine because I didn't know her real name.  Someone gave her to me when I was over at their house.  I can't remember if her name was Sunburst or Starburst but it was one of those two names.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 06:49:15 AM »
Duplicate names get renamed. Ponies called Baby this or Mummy that get renamed. I prefer the UK names unless they're duplicate names of other Ponies. And I never call a Pony Lil anything.
Aside from that variants of Ponies get renamed as well, usually along the theme of the original name.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 06:58:37 AM »
My first pony, Sparkler, was renamed 'Tiffany', mostly because the package probably got thrown away in the chaos of birthday wrapping before I realized that she came with a name.

Some ponies, particularly those belonging to my way-younger sister, were designated as boys, because we needed boy ponies but didn't want to sacrifice our own ponies' identities and she was too young to protest. Gusty=Gus, Baby Cuddles=Carlos, Skyflier=Guyflier, Baby Shady=Wade,  Baby Heart Throb=Fart Throb. There were more, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Guyflier and Fart Throb. That's beautiful.

And also a reason to see a doctor.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 07:18:27 AM »

Guyflier and Fart Throb. That's beautiful.

And also a reason to see a doctor.

XD Probably!

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 08:54:28 AM »
I remember calling baby starbow baby rainbow. I didn’t know any of the g1 ponies names so I usually called them by what their symbol was. I think I called sweet pop ice pop I always called twirler symbols because that’s what her symbol looked like.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal