collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Random stuff you've learned!  (Read 4724 times)

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
Re: Random stuff you've learned!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »
I just learned that in the Sims games 'Live Mode' is pronounced live as in liver and not live rhymes with five. I've been saying it wrong for 20 years.
I didn’t know that either!  And I have been playing the Sims for more than 20 years.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Shystar06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
I just learned we're considered a genuine "high-risk pregnancy". As in, we actually now have two different doctors with very different skillsets, instead of just one very worried doctor who speaks before she thinks a bit too much.

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2021, 07:24:57 PM »
I just learned that in the Sims games 'Live Mode' is pronounced live as in liver and not live rhymes with five. I've been saying it wrong for 20 years.
I didn’t know that either!  And I have been playing the Sims for more than 20 years.
Also just learned of this thanks to that post! Interesting...

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2021, 02:48:58 AM »
If you tell someone you're late because someone shot your cat, they will always believe you.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2021, 05:32:49 AM »
One quarter of all the bones in your body are located in your feet!!

Each foot has 26 different bones, which is 52 bones in both. Your body has 206 bones.
I learned this when I got a Lisfranc fracture in my right foot back in February.
That’s so many. I bet about half of those are broken for me with the amount of times I’ve gotten my toes banged up :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »
Today I learned there are only 24 "super tusker" elephants left in the world.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »
Mockingbirds and crows also remember individual people and if you were kind or mean to them.

I read a National Geographic article about this, and it's so cool! There was this little girl that befriended the crows in her yard by leaving them trinkets, and they would bring her gifts in return.

This is amazing to find out...
oh, a group of Crows together is called a Murder.  ^.^

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 10:02:50 AM »
In this 1921 newspaper I'm looking at there's an article about schools in Zion, Illinois.  Apparently they were teaching students that the Earth was flat.  I'll copy it out so you can see (yes, I am leaving in any errors they printed.)   :lol:

"Zion schools of which Wilbur Glenn Voliva, the overseer of the colony is president, have adopted his new theories of a flat world and the absence of gravitation, and the 1000 grade and high school pupils believe them implicitly, according to their teachers.
The public school maintained by the state board of education and attended by the children of nonmembers of Voliva's Christian-Catholic Apostolic church still teaches, however that the world is a globe moving through limitless space and that it was  the attraction of gravity which caused the apple to fall on Isaac Newton's head.
At the Zion schools the new course of study teaches that:
The earth is a flat circular world, with a north pole in the exact center, no south pole and surrounded by a wall of ice which keeps adventuresome mariners from fall off the rim.
That the earth has no motion but remains stationary in space.
That the sun is not millions of miles in diameter and 91,000,000 miles away, but is really a little orb thirty-two miles across and only 3,000 miles from the earth.
That the law of gravitation is a fallacy and when objects are thrown into the air they continues to rise until the force which impelled them is expended and then fall back to earth because they are heavier than air."

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
That's pretty much Flat Earth today too. The Sun and Moon are spotlights that move across the surface. Other planets are round, but Earth is not.

In a nutshell.

Flat Earthers are my favorite. I joined the official Flat Earth Society forum almost 20 years ago. Back then, it was mostly comprised of people who were trolling everyone... it was a way to debate ridiculous things to point out stuff that people really believe in. Kinda like Pastafarians. But now with social media I think there really are people who believe it and don't get the point of the original Flat Earth Society.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:06:18 AM by BlackCurtains »

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
I just learned today about an interesting piece of schizo-tech called electric-steam locomotive, which is pretty much like a regular steam engine but with a pantograph on the roof to power an electric heater that is used to boil the water instead of a regular coal furnace.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2021, 04:47:53 PM »
If you are sewing fine fabric on a sewing machine, you can use tissue paper to help stabilise it :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2022, 06:34:03 PM »
I recently read about a creature from Arthurian legends called the Questing Beast, which apparently had the head and neck of a snake, the body of a leopard, the legs of a deer and the butt of a lion. Sounds like some medieval bard was probably high when coming up with this completely baffling mishmash of different unrelated animals? Actually, a possible explanation is that the real source of this legend was simply some very poorly interpreted second hand accounts of travelers to faraway lands who just saw a giraffe for the first time in their life.
Inka Dinka Doo

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Random stuff you\'ve learned!
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
That's pretty much Flat Earth today too. The Sun and Moon are spotlights that move across the surface. Other planets are round, but Earth is not.

In a nutshell.

Flat Earthers are my favorite. I joined the official Flat Earth Society forum almost 20 years ago. Back then, it was mostly comprised of people who were trolling everyone... it was a way to debate ridiculous things to point out stuff that people really believe in. Kinda like Pastafarians. But now with social media I think there really are people who believe it and don't get the point of the original Flat Earth Society.

There are people who genuinely believe it now, pretty sure Louis Theroux made a documentary about them...

Post Merge: March 04, 2022, 11:20:31 AM

I other news a woman where I work has relatives in Ukraine but she's not worried. Apparently it's not as bad as leaving people in Afghanistan. The Russians aren't as bad as the Talibanis so its fine. I had asked her whether she had relations in Europe and whether they were ok.  I wasn't sure what she would say and I thought I was genuinely open to talking about it with someone with any view. Then I realized that I'm terrified and don't have the stomach for any sort of discussion really.  Lesson learnt.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:20:31 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2022, 04:56:49 AM »
Well, since i learn something new every day, here it all is... Tins of tunafish are more expensive and let's face it, smaller than they used to be. So yesterday, I tried mashing up the tunafish with half a tin of kidney beans to make wraps for him and me. I added salad and mayo. The thing I learned is that this does not make the tunafish any better. It's kind of about the same. Nutritous, probably, but not that exciting. Not the exciting life hack i was hoping for anyway.

Today learned that the randomly spaced curbstones and pavers in my driveway leave a space too small for the caravan we are getting. Second, they are heavily concreted into the ground to about 1ft in width and about 2ft below the surface. I learned that we will not be moving them.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:00:33 AM by Artemesia's Garden »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2022, 05:43:59 AM »
Today I read an article about relocating rhinos in Africa. They strap them upside down to a helicopter to transport them to the reserves and safe spaces.

Also, trained dogs that go after poachers have saved over 100 rhinos.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal