collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Random stuff you've learned!  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Random stuff you've learned!
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »
In going through old Newspapers on microfilm, I've learned some really random things lately.  So I thought I'd make a thread about it and then others can chime in with things they've learned that others might find interesting.

There was a butter surplus in 1939. 

Shirley Temple's pet dog was in "Just Around the Corner" and she gives it a bath in one of the scenes.  It got paid $7.50 a day.

One article I saw today talked about the cost of Ed Wynn's shoes.  He'd found a pair that was perfect for his act (they got him laughs) and since he couldn't ever find a suitable replacement pair, he paid to have them re-soled and repaired when they wore out.  He estimated he'd spent somewhere around $2,000 on his shoes. 

The local papers that I'm going through list all the outstanding taxes on properties from the previous year every January.  I guess that's one way to find out how in debt your neighbors really are!

When Babe Ruth played some exhibition games in Japan the posters that were made to advertise the events changed his eyes to make him appear more Japanese.

A living mermaid named Serpentina traveled with a trained Flea Circus (complete with juggling fleas) and marine show.  The picture of her makes it look like she was a real mermaid.  It doesn't look like a costume...  Found an article on her along with a picture.  Apparently she was born with no bones below her shoulders.  So she had arm bones but not a backbone. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12811227/serpentina-unknown

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Random stuff you've learned!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 04:21:14 PM »
I just learnt right now that some cars get confused on really hot days and stall.
Hurray car break downs.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »
I just learned that in the Sims games 'Live Mode' is pronounced live as in liver and not live rhymes with five. I've been saying it wrong for 20 years.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 07:17:02 PM »
I read an article about Soviet kamikaze dogs, basically during WW2 soviets would train dogs to crawl under German tanks while strapped with timed explosives that would then explode destroying not only the poor doggo but the tank too. The problem was that all dogs were trained on parked unmanned tanks, whereas in the battlefield the tanks were moving and firing. The dogs would either be too scarred to approach the moving noisy tanks, or the firing guns would frighten them so much that they'd run right back to the trenches with the bomb still ticking, killing the Soviets inside :lol: Another problem was that apparently the dogs were trained on Soviet diesel tanks whereas German tanks ran on gasoline, and since dogs mainly use smell for orientation, you can guess which tanks they often picked to crawl under based on familiar scent... I guess the moral of the story is: don't use dogs as bombs.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 07:41:50 PM »
I learned the Japanese word for idiot from Diamond no Ace.

Thanks to the Shoutbox I learned that an eyeliner sharpener works well on colored pencils. 

An amusement park ride that terrified me as a child was redesigned into a much less scary ride a few years after I rode it.  The ride still standing but no longer operates due to flood damage that cannot be repaired.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 10:19:12 PM »
I like to think I can write, so I do for fun, & for a fanfiction I had to research some animals & I rapidly became hooked on sharks. They're jawesome!!! There are over 500 species & only four have EVER attacked humans (& that's a rare occurrence indeed). One can walk on reef shallows, one has a beard (that one's name even means shaggy beard), one can gulp air for buoyancy, most (except your pelagic - ocean-roaming - sharks) can buccal pump, they can sense electric currents... If you want more fun sharky facts come to me. If you have sharky facts feel free to share xxx

Oh & I have a plushie sharky collection now, including the Ikea sharky perched on my leggie as I type xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 02:00:25 PM »
i'm not sure why it's taken me 30 something years to realize that when my Polish ancestors came to the united states sometime around the turn of the 20th century Poland wasn't a country. it was partitioned.

it dawned on me a while back when i was reading a book about the Russian revolution. I can't believe i never thought about it before :blush:
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
There was also a plan to have pigeon piloted bombs in the second world war. Thankfully it didn't happen BUT a pigeon was decorated for bravery in one of the wars after managing to deliver a message despite taking injury and losing a leg en route.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 03:21:34 AM »
There was also a plan to have pigeon piloted bombs in the second world war. Thankfully it didn't happen BUT a pigeon was decorated for bravery in one of the wars after managing to deliver a message despite taking injury and losing a leg en route.
Was that Cher Ami??? Apt name I think (anybody who risked life & literal limb to rescue me would be a dear friend indeed)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 04:10:58 AM »
Was that Cher Ami??? Apt name I think (anybody who risked life & literal limb to rescue me would be a dear friend indeed)

Quite possibly :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 06:22:25 AM »
That wasps like bees can recognize individuals faces, and remember them.

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 03:36:23 PM »

oh no. i just chased one off my patio this morning. it almost went in the house!
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 06:43:13 PM »
Mockingbirds and crows also remember individual people and if you were kind or mean to them.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 03:22:55 AM »

oh no. i just chased one off my patio this morning. it almost went in the house!

Heheh, it's definitely better to be gentle, skirt around them, and try to make peace, as they will eventually get used to you and leave you alone. Wasps are quite nice to have around! But yeah, one probably wouldn't want them inside the house  ^^;

On a slightly related topic, I just learned about the Boll Weevil Monument and now I want my own miniature replica  XD

Wishlist

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
I recently learned about this "brilliant" inventor who came up with a totally revolutionary way of storing excess energy in form of a huge crane that uses the energy surplus to lift heavy concrete blocks and then converts it back to electricity when needed by lowering them back to power the generator with gravity... which is pretty much like the plain old pumped storage except needlessly more complicated and much less practical :rolleyes:
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal