collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wow, Ebay prices  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, Ebay prices
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 07:55:13 AM »
It makes a HUGE difference if the seller marks the package as a 'gift'. You can still get bitten by customs fees occasionally, but if you don't then it massively brings down the price of buying from the US.

Don't you also forfeit buyer/seller protection by doing this?

Happy to be corrected, but I’m not sure that you do. Consumer protection and customs fees are totally distinct areas of law. If you are mis-sold an item or it’s lost in transit, I think the onus is still on the seller to ensure your goods arrive as promised. And as for the insurance of the carrier, I’d like to think that a lost gift would be afforded the same protection as a lost purchase  :blush:

But someone else said that it’s technically fraud, and I think they are probably spot on with that so some seller might be reluctant to do it  :cry:

I can see why sellers would be reluctant if they have to pay everything including shipping back if the item doesn’t show.  I would really rather not take the risk.

The cost of shipping going up really makes me cringe.  Buying over seas is so crazy expensive these days.  When can we start beaming stuff around the world?

When they're able to start charging sky high prices for it. :silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2021, 08:26:29 PM »
I sold a g1 sleeping bag a few days ago ..I  just advertise free shipping and pay it out of whatever the auction goes for. Got a box just big enough to squeeze it in, no bigger. The post office lady cringed at the sight saying it was going to be expensive. $17 to ship it within the US. Plus eBay takes their big cut (big when you’re selling MOC anyway). Shipping keeps biting me. It’s not worth selling anything that’ll take a big box/will be heavy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
I will still sell and ship globally, but I have to let the buyer know all these "hidden" fees.  I will ship things as a gift...hey, it is a gift to find someone willing to ship internationally in this day and age!  Yes, technically it's fraud...but it's also fraud to charge taxes on used items, that have already been taxed.  That is a scam that shouldn't be allowed, so I'm just trying to balance things out a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also not selling thousands of dollars worth of stuff.  And the buyer can say no, and prefer to pay the taxes for larger purchases.  That is fine, if they are good with it.  Being in the community, I've always seen things are being helpful to other collectors, more than trying to buy a summer home.  Yes, I sell for a reasonable amount when I have more expensive ponies or items.  I'd rather deal with someone here, though, than eBay and have fee on top of fee on top of fee...

Maybe the more we help each other out, the easier it will be to rebuild our little section of the collector world.
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 02:53:08 PM »
Yes, technically it's fraud...but it's also fraud to charge taxes on used items, that have already been taxed.

Goodness, you are SO right...I wonder how Ebay and its ilk get away with this, when one can sell on craigslist or have a yard sale without any tax dollars being exchanged.

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2021, 02:20:43 AM »
I will still sell and ship globally, but I have to let the buyer know all these "hidden" fees.  I will ship things as a gift...hey, it is a gift to find someone willing to ship internationally in this day and age!  Yes, technically it's fraud...but it's also fraud to charge taxes on used items, that have already been taxed.  That is a scam that shouldn't be allowed, so I'm just trying to balance things out a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also not selling thousands of dollars worth of stuff.  And the buyer can say no, and prefer to pay the taxes for larger purchases.  That is fine, if they are good with it.  Being in the community, I've always seen things are being helpful to other collectors, more than trying to buy a summer home.  Yes, I sell for a reasonable amount when I have more expensive ponies or items.  I'd rather deal with someone here, though, than eBay and have fee on top of fee on top of fee...

Maybe the more we help each other out, the easier it will be to rebuild our little section of the collector world.

Oh, you are a saint. I really appreciate it when sellers at least offer to ship internationally. It's true that I'm not willing to pay outrageous shipping and fees for common items, but if a grail item should happen to come up, I would likely want to buy it regardless.

Wishlist

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2021, 03:47:46 PM »

Oh, you are a saint. I really appreciate it when sellers at least offer to ship internationally. It's true that I'm not willing to pay outrageous shipping and fees for common items, but if a grail item should happen to come up, I would likely want to buy it regardless.
THIS
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Faeriefalls

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2021, 05:45:21 PM »

Sometimes I have no choice but to beg someone to ship internationally because Australia seems to have less old ponies (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places??) and some of the og g1 sparkle ponies have gone from $20-30 here to almost $100, is that normal? Haha I've been out of the scene for a while since I fell pregnant and now I'm gobsmacked.

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal