collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wow, Ebay prices  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Jupiter

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Wow, Ebay prices
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:46:32 AM »
I've been out of pony collecting for a handful of years now and am going to start selling someone miscellaneous pony merchandise. I was checking eBay for sold prices and was kind of Blown Away by how much all the G1 stuff is selling for right now. Have the price has been this wild for a while or are they continuing to climb recently?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, Ebay prices
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
The pandemic put $ signs in greedy, unknowledgable folks eyes.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
They have been steadily rising since G4, and have only skyrocketed during the pandemic.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Star-Watcher

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Raven's Nest
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 04:10:54 PM »
It is only natural that prices will rise as demand does and availability steadily decreases.
-- Star-Watcher
This space unintentionally left blank.

Offline ScotchHop

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Another day, another pony.
    • View Profile
    • @Adventures_In_ponyland
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:35:52 AM »
It's crazy out there! What is especially annoying is that people are putting really shabby stuff online for insane prices. Like, at least give them a wash if you expect me to pay that much!
:art: @Adventures_In_ponyland on Insta
Currently seeking G1s;
Cookery pony Cherry Sweet, Picnic Pony (sweet clover) and accessories, Rosette (prize day), Lemon Treats & Mint Dreams. See my ISO list here http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401816.0.html

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 07:24:11 AM »
I never saw prices this crazy until this year.I even saw some normal common ponies for over 30$. I’m hoping the prices will lower because it’s been really difficult for me to find stuff that’s actually worth it’s price.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:46:56 AM »
Yeah a lot of things rose up in price during the coarse of the pandemic. People have been scalping quite a lot during it. It's been happening with ponies, Pokemon cards, Squishmallows, the new gaming consoles....

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 11:56:13 AM »
i've seen it happening in real life as well, the only g1s ive seen at flea markets this year have been in excess of $12 for very basic, common ponies like peachy. now, who knows if some other collector came around before me and snatched up all the reasonably priced ones ;-) but all i've seen is the spensy ones

Offline PrismaHeart

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »
didnt think ponies would get hit this hard by the "old=money" scalper crowd but here we are! It's awful in the doll community. People wanting $100 for an incomplete doll that was released in 2014  :huh:
really hoping everything calms down

:good: icon by RRd :heart: sig art by bunxl :heart: wishlist :heart: current collection :good:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »
In the "sold" area of Ebay, they don't seem to be going at those prices.  I think most of the sellers will eventually give it up.  Maybe.

If they stay at those prices though, I guess I now have a few hundred dollars worth of ponies...  :whistle: :whistle:

Seriously though, I don't think it's cool that people are charging so much for easily had ponies.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:02:40 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 03:07:40 AM »
It's really sad. My personal crisis is that I don't live in a country that has its own ebay site so I have to buy everything internationally, and ever since they introduced the "global shipping program", shipping prices and fees have skyrocketed so I have to pay like, $30+ in shipping for even a common dingy pony  :sad:

Wishlist

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 06:49:54 AM »
I think shipping is the worst of it. I know shipping has gone up, but I feel like people have been taking advantage of it to scalp even more out of the sale. I always try to purchase more than one pony from the same seller if possible, to save on shipping, but sometimes the seller will only give the tiniest discount for the multiple ponies, like if it costs $5.50 to ship one pony, they'll take, like, $1 or 50 cents off the shipping of each additional pony just to say they combined the shipping. Seriously! I just shipped 5 or 6 ponies out within my own country for $8.

The cost of ponies has definitely gone up too since I started collecting just pre-pandemic, but I guess I just don't buy stuff if I don't like the price, and hope that others do the same, so that those sellers will give up and prices eventually come down. If people keep buying $400 Mimics, she'll always be $400, and then $500, and so on.

I checked out a new local vintage toy store recently, and chatted with the owner. He had several G1 ponies for sale, mostly commons; Medley, Baby Firefly, etc. priced at $12-15. Then he had a Bright Eyes for $80. He said his knowledge about ponies was not great yet, but he is doing his research by pulling sold prices from online. He's probably pretty accurate, sadly. I popped up some live Bright Eyes auctions, and watched them until they sold; she ranged from $30 to around $75 (I was mad I missed that $30 one, BE is my biggest grail right now!). I guess I'd expect to pay a premium at a little shop like that, but I suppose on Ebay the seller has to give up a hefty chunk of the sale due to fees, plus the buyer is paying exorbitant shipping on top, they aren't making too much. Not that I'm sympathizing with scalpers, but I don't sell ponies on ebay because I feel like for what the seller ends up paying, I would get very little of it. So I guess people jack prices to recoup, I suppose.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
It's true that prices have gone up lately at the lower end whereas I think they have also risen but less so at the steep end. I agree that prices went up during the pandemic, I guess it's a nice hobby to have indoors. S

Professional sellers will always have overheads like a shop or a stall, but we used to live in a kinder world when ordinary people would sell things at 'cost' price at yard sales etc. for cash just because they didn't need them any more. Now we are tied bombarded with 'monetise your time/old stuff/grandma to make a profit for digital platforms and we are limited to electronic transactions so we always have to pay VAT on everything. Makes me sad.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline ScotchHop

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Another day, another pony.
    • View Profile
    • @Adventures_In_ponyland
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »
It's true that prices have gone up lately at the lower end whereas I think they have also risen but less so at the steep end. I agree that prices went up during the pandemic, I guess it's a nice hobby to have indoors. S

Professional sellers will always have overheads like a shop or a stall, but we used to live in a kinder world when ordinary people would sell things at 'cost' price at yard sales etc. for cash just because they didn't need them any more. Now we are tied bombarded with 'monetise your time/old stuff/grandma to make a profit for digital platforms and we are limited to electronic transactions so we always have to pay VAT on everything. Makes me sad.

SO MUCH THIS!

When you go to google a pony for any reason like to find out the year, about half the first Google hits are about 'your old my little pony's could be worth a fortune' which makes everyone with a half chewed old Peachy think they are in the money!

It's so frustrating that there are always for highly priced ponies which are tagged 'RARE' 'NIRVANA' and there's like, ten of the same "rare" pony at any one time  :pout:
:art: @Adventures_In_ponyland on Insta
Currently seeking G1s;
Cookery pony Cherry Sweet, Picnic Pony (sweet clover) and accessories, Rosette (prize day), Lemon Treats & Mint Dreams. See my ISO list here http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401816.0.html

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 07:09:01 AM »
Oooh, those articles about "your old [toy] could be worth MILLIONS!!!" drive me insane. They always miss out the fact that markets are unstable/ever-changing, NOT every old toy is inherently valuable.. then you get stuff where one particular version of a thing goes for big money (say... I dunno, Greek Firefly) but the article says "ALL versions ever made of this toy go for $$$$$$!!"... Ugh!

And I agree, Global Shipping is a nightmare. I get that shipping prices HAVE changed over the years (that's a whooole other rant >_<) but GSP ridiculously overcharges, 9 times out of 10. :/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal