collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16374 times)

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2022, 10:18:59 AM »
Spoiler
Galaxy isn't in the movie - her first appearance in the show is in "The End of Flutter Valley",l as an animation error, then her proper debut is in "The Ghost of Paradise Estate".

Personally I don't mind a bit of reinterpretation re: who was around for what events, etc, since the series was always a bit of a "revolving door of ponies" anyway (complete cast changeovers between RaMC and Catrina, and then again for the Movie; SS Twilight/Locket/FT babies just appearing out of nowhere), but yeah having Galaxy specifically be the main pony for this sort of thing is a weird choice, going off you guys' posts (haven't read the issue myself yet).

The G4 speak annoys me since (aside from the fact that I've always hated "everypony" etc anyway, it just sounds so stupid and forced... and, you know, G1 ponies didn't talk like that) - lack of differentiation between the casts!! when you have two distinct cast groups like this meet (esp. in a crossover situation, which this ostensibly is...), you want to really push the differences between the two, emphasize "these are different ponies from a different place (and time? idk)". If they all use the exact same expressions, speech patterns, etc then there's not much left to distinguish between the G4 gang and the G1 ponies, right?

Spoiler
That's why I highly dislike the 'daughters' because they are making them sound like G4's/Equestria Girl's when they should have made them not know much about modern world stuff! This issue is where I HATE their talk because the writer threw in Grackle saying "They're fighting like they're on Real Horsewives: Equestria!" G4 doesn't have tv/tv shows right?? Just UGHHH. (I forget I guess they can view what's going on?? but that point is so unclear! I looked thru the other issues again and it just seems that they can suddenly view what's going on in Ponyville... I give up o.O )

Just so tired of their 'modern' talk, THEY LIVE IN A VOLCANO. And how they never want to leave it, I know they 'can't use magic out of the volcano" but with how it's all going, they seem to not be able to LEAVE it by normal means?? So confusing!

Some deep dive details that bugs me?

Spoiler
Some random light bulb shows up for a moment, "Great Question!",  in this issue when they get back to the daughters for that rage inducing "Horsewives" BS...

I guess the locket is GOLD now...

Somehow Rosedust knows how the Locket works... and why only one Flutter pony... but they probably won't use Utter Flutter cause "OMG G4 ADDED RAINBOW POWER" to Rainbow of Light. WHICH them showing how the Rainbow of Light works after the locket is opened is TERRIBLE! CONFUSING! TERRIBLE CONFUSING MESS! because if you hadn't watched the original special, when the Rainbow soaked up the Darkness, then started working. That kinda happens but so vague I was confused what I was seeing  :pout:

(only look if you don't mind being spoiled with visuals)
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Then a stupid segment with Opal, I just hate it cause it was suddenly thrown in for North Star to say ONE thing for Twilight to remember something. Also it bugged me cause they spent a slow time getting to issue 4 then now they have to rush everything in last minute  :pout:

OOHHHH THE BIGGEST ANGRY EYE ROLL I just remembered...GRR!! Pinkie Pie showing off the store to get a 'pen and a couch' so they made the G1's have a STORE and naming it something to fit in the 80's... UGH!!

Spoiler

That's just the huge things that upset me  :blush:

So much UGH all around for me :lookround:

The only thing that G3 ever angered me was a part in the Minty's Christmas special. SANTA CLAUSE. because he was shown as human but they all knew him when they didn't know unicorns and pegsasi  XD But yeah, now I don't care much cause I enjoy the music CD  XD

I also feel that they could just take out the G1's and it's G4 and they just found a weird artifact and some girls got stuck in a volcano could be just like the sirens, banished from ponies into humans.  :shrug:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2022, 10:40:07 AM »
Spoiler
Galaxy isn't in the movie - her first appearance in the show is in "The End of Flutter Valley",l as an animation error, then her proper debut is in "The Ghost of Paradise Estate".

Personally I don't mind a bit of reinterpretation re: who was around for what events, etc, since the series was always a bit of a "revolving door of ponies" anyway (complete cast changeovers between RaMC and Catrina, and then again for the Movie; SS Twilight/Locket/FT babies just appearing out of nowhere), but yeah having Galaxy specifically be the main pony for this sort of thing is a weird choice, going off you guys' posts (haven't read the issue myself yet).

The G4 speak annoys me since (aside from the fact that I've always hated "everypony" etc anyway, it just sounds so stupid and forced... and, you know, G1 ponies didn't talk like that) - lack of differentiation between the casts!! when you have two distinct cast groups like this meet (esp. in a crossover situation, which this ostensibly is...), you want to really push the differences between the two, emphasize "these are different ponies from a different place (and time? idk)". If they all use the exact same expressions, speech patterns, etc then there's not much left to distinguish between the G4 gang and the G1 ponies, right?

Spoiler
That's why I highly dislike the 'daughters' because they are making them sound like G4's/Equestria Girl's when they should have made them not know much about modern world stuff! This issue is where I HATE their talk because the writer threw in Grackle saying "They're fighting like they're on Real Horsewives: Equestria!" G4 doesn't have tv/tv shows right?? Just UGHHH. (I forget I guess they can view what's going on?? but that point is so unclear! I looked thru the other issues again and it just seems that they can suddenly view what's going on in Ponyville... I give up o.O )

Just so tired of their 'modern' talk, THEY LIVE IN A VOLCANO. And how they never want to leave it, I know they 'can't use magic out of the volcano" but with how it's all going, they seem to not be able to LEAVE it by normal means?? So confusing!

Some deep dive details that bugs me?

Spoiler
Some random light bulb shows up for a moment, "Great Question!",  in this issue when they get back to the daughters for that rage inducing "Horsewives" BS...

I guess the locket is GOLD now...

Somehow Rosedust knows how the Locket works... and why only one Flutter pony... but they probably won't use Utter Flutter cause "OMG G4 ADDED RAINBOW POWER" to Rainbow of Light. WHICH them showing how the Rainbow of Light works after the locket is opened is TERRIBLE! CONFUSING! TERRIBLE CONFUSING MESS! because if you hadn't watched the original special, when the Rainbow soaked up the Darkness, then started working. That kinda happens but so vague I was confused what I was seeing  :pout:

Spoiler

Then a stupid segment with Opal, I just hate it cause it was suddenly thrown in for North Star to say ONE thing for Twilight to remember something. Also it bugged me cause they spent a slow time getting to issue 4 then now they have to rush everything in last minute  :pout:

OOHHHH THE BIGGEST ANGRY EYE ROLL I just remembered...GRR!! Pinkie Pie showing off the store to get a 'pen and a couch' so they made the G1's have a STORE and naming it something to fit in the 80's... UGH!!

Spoiler

That's just the huge things that upset me  :blush:

So much UGH all around for me :lookround:

The only thing that G3 ever angered me was a part in the Minty's Christmas special. SANTA CLAUSE. because he was shown as human but they all knew him when they didn't know unicorns and pegsasi  XD But yeah, now I don't care much cause I enjoy the music CD  XD

I also feel that they could just take out the G1's and it's G4 and they just found a weird artifact and some girls got stuck in a volcano could be just like the sirens, banished from ponies into humans.  :shrug:

Minty took out Santa. No Christmas for you little ponies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »
Oh man, I was at a comic shop today and they had the latest issue of this in stock, so I picked up and opened it at a random page... I had to put it back cause OMG the sheer amount of valspeak!! What the heck! I mean don't get me wrong, I'm fine with surfer/valley girl talk in the right place, but none of the G1 ponies talked like that so... what the heck happened here??

I'll try and find it and read it through properly later, but I had to say that. o_o

I did see Reeka and Draggle on the page though, they looked pretty nicely drawn from what I saw of 'em. Nice to finally see them instead of those cheap stand-ins we've been stuck with up to this point! :P

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2022, 01:53:37 PM »
Do you think they're trying to emulate "how people talked in the eighties" based on stereotypes and ended up going majorly wrong??

...I don't think they watched any of the movie, honestly, given what they've done with the cast and the plot. I think they just read it on Wiki and maybe watched a couple of clips on YT.

Here's my odd sense of humour but I was explaining this whole thing to my mother and she doesn't know what valley girl speak is, so I told her it's like if they were all talking in stereotypical essex dialect. So then I got amused thinking about the G1 ponies talking like TOWIE...

Which I have literally never watched, but still.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2022, 02:03:41 PM »
Honestly, that was the impression I got, too. Like they just went "this is how people talked Back In The Day, right????" and called it a day.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »
Honestly, that was the impression I got, too. Like they just went "this is how people talked Back In The Day, right????" and called it a day.

Cowabunga, dude. It's like, truly outrageous :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2022, 03:01:11 PM »

Cowabunga, dude. It's like, truly outrageous :D

Like chaaa!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2022, 07:56:10 PM »
My Little pony are actions figures I suppose
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2022, 08:24:04 PM »
Why is G3 Minty in this? This comic is such a let-down, I was expecting the Mane 6 to meet their OG inspirations like the first images imply. Instead we have a mishmash of random characters from previous gens? What is going on here.

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2022, 08:25:59 PM »
There's a gag on one of the early pages (I'm just going to spoil it completely here) where Pinkie Pie is like "Here's our Sofas and Quills store!" except instead of calling it that, which, you know, is the name of the store, she calls it "Here's the store that you can get both a pen and a sofa at!". Lickety Split remarks that they too have a "Trapper Savers and tapedeck store". Definitely trying to go for 80's stuff here.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2022, 04:21:56 PM »
Most probably written by people not born when the eighties happened.

Yes, I did the old person thing. And it felt good. :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2022, 11:16:17 AM »
I looked up the writer and found their twitter and apparently they are 41.   :what:

She said that issue 4, "It's truly my favorite issue!"  :drunk:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:02 PM »
I looked up the writer and found their twitter and apparently they are 41.   :what:

But was it truly outrageous?

41 means they have no excuse. THey'd actually have GROWN UP with G1.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »

That doesn't mean they were familiar with the media. It could be a situation like Lauren Faust where she pretty much made up her own personalities and storylines for the ponies they played with.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2022, 02:54:16 PM »

That doesn't mean they were familiar with the media. It could be a situation like Lauren Faust where she pretty much made up her own personalities and storylines for the ponies they played with.

Yes, but, in that context you don't choose to do a G1 crossover with an existing storyline. You use one of your own, like she did.

What doesn't make sense is saying they are a fan of G1, but at the same time, not managing to get the plot or the ponies in the g1 storyline correct.  Because you would also think they'd research the subject if it was something they'd never come across.

I never saw the movie as a kid. I wrote lots of pony stories, but I never wrote a story involving Hydia and the smooze, even though they appeared randomly in that one comic when I was about nine or so. It's not something you get inspired by if you haven't seen it. But if you have seen it, you should at least reference it accurately...or not call the comic a 'crossover'.

I stand by my point.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal