collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16337 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2021, 04:21:39 PM »
Oh duh - I can't believe I forgot the Twinkle Eyes! :blush: And yeah, Gusty too, you're right.

I was wondering about the G1 characters G4.... "repurposed", too. Especially the Smooze, since that was the witches' thing - feels like that'll come up, at least... though for some reason, I get the feeling it'll just be brought up quickly for a brief joke and then dropped again. :shrug:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »
I just find it weird, it's meant to be a G1 crossover thing and then they make up a bunch of new characters instead of using the established cast? They didn't do this with the Transformers crossover comic, right? I saw some panels from that and it looked like the usual cast, no new guys. :/ Like, I'm not asking for a strict adherence to the G1 cartoons here, I don't mind keeping things flexible, but what is the point of doing a cross-gen thing if you're just going to be using stuff loosely based on G1?? I don't get it.

IDW recently has been doing a lot of crossovers. They did a 5-issue Transformers/Ghostbusters crossover and I read it, I found it interesting that the "main character" on the Transformers side of it was an entirely new character they made up just for the comic. And they put out a toy of him, too! (Not a widely released one. I think it was some convention exclusive.)

My point is that it's not unusual to have new characters for these sort of retro stories. Maybe in fact they did choose the "retro Mane Six" just so that Basic Fun or Hasbro could do some sort of toy of them in the future, or maybe it was for another reason. Maybe it just made sense to the plotline of the story within the comic that these two groups of ponies will team up across generations! Only time will tell. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Bathtub

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
I love it! Maybe we'll get to see Sparkler say "way to go Fluttershy you messed up again!" 

Also I'll compare them to the G1s in my UK annuals....wait a minute....How does Majesty fit in with Celestia? There can be only one, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2021, 10:20:56 PM »
No idea Carrehz. I like the colors on Blackbelle and Violet Shiver. Pity this is looking to be more G4 then a proper crossover.   :nope:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:24:03 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2021, 12:25:25 AM »
No idea Carrehz. I like the colors on Blackbelle and Violet Shiver. Pity this is looking to be more G4 then a proper crossover.   :nope:

I would think that would be easier for the writers, who are probably the same people, as then they don't have to do any research. But it's not a crossover really like that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MouseCardinal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2021, 04:43:11 AM »
If it is then it really reduces my interest in it down to zero, lol. I was already hesitant about there being too much G4 :enraged: Ah, well. Guess it was expected

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2021, 10:04:10 AM »

I would think that would be easier for the writers, who are probably the same people, as then they don't have to do any research. But it's not a crossover really like that.

Yeah, it sure sucks that anyone crossing over two properties or generational iterations can't get off their butts and actually do research. :rolleyes:  Nm that they have a ton of easy sources to draw from, and the movie isn't some rare and expensive thing to track down, or to watch. 

This sounds essentially like legal fanfiction with no knowledge or thought put into it at all. And I've seen some truly excellent mlp cross gen fanfiction.  Even Star Wars extended universe had and used the extensive knowledge base and world building available to it, while each author gave their stories their own unique twist, and new characters.

Dunno if this will be good or not, but not impressed by the plot thus far.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 10:29:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2021, 10:43:29 AM »
The first comic is out!
Spoiler
I didn't like it at all.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
The first comic is out!
Spoiler
I didn't like it at all.

Sorry to hear it. How come?

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2021, 12:01:13 PM »
lol your opinion isn't a spoiler, tealeaf! You can share with us what you did or didn't like. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2021, 12:34:16 PM »
The first comic is out!
Spoiler
I didn't like it at all.

I haven't read it myself (yet?), but from the sounds of it, it's not very G1-y. :P The Witches aren't really witches but are apparently ponies banished to the EQG world or something? The G1 ponies haven't showed up at all yet...

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »
I'm with you on this one, Tealeaf, honestly was surprised at HOW disappointing it was...

(Plot details under cut, I guess)

Spoiler
VOLCANO OF GLOOM, writers!!! Not "Gloom Volcano"!!! You know you're in for A Time when there's an error literally on page one, really sets the tone... I mean come ON, that's just basic stuff!

I've gotta say, I REALLY hope they step up their game in issue 2... So far there's NO sign of G1, apart from the aforementioned screwed-up volcano name. The "witches" for some reason look like Equestria Girls (technicolour skin, hair etc, even their fashion sense is VERY EQG-y) with a bit of the Jem comic aesthetic thrown in for good measure...? Nothing like Reeka and Draggle. Supposedly they're R&D's daughters, but the only way you can tell is how they mentioned their mothers every couple of panels (this was really forced.. idk how to explain it exactly, but they just really kept going "oh yeah like our moms" a LOT, really shoving it down our throats? As if that "legitimizes" these chars' relationships to the old ones? IDK how else to explain it, but that stood out to me as being weirdly written). Otherwise they just hung around spouting modern dialogue and being super out of place...

The rest of the comic was pure G4. No G1 ponies apart from the covers. :/ Really not impressed so far.

I will say though, I did like how they included the alt. covers at the back of the comic, that was a very nice touch. Usually I just see that done with the trade paperbacks. So I'll give them that. But yeah, so far I'm not liking this whatsoever. :( I mean, I went into it with fairly low expectations (it was a "Let's see how it goes" not a "OMG I'm so excited!!" if that makes sense) but geez...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2021, 12:45:22 PM »
The first comic is out!
Spoiler
I didn't like it at all.

I haven't read it myself (yet?), but from the sounds of it, it's not very G1-y. :P The Witches aren't really witches but are apparently ponies banished to the EQG world or something? The G1 ponies haven't showed up at all yet...

Post Merge: October 20, 2021, 12:46:43 PM

I'm with you on this one, Tealeaf, honestly was surprised at HOW disappointing it was...

Spoiler
VOLCANO OF GLOOM, writers!!! Not "Gloom Volcano"!!! You know you're in for A Time when there's an error literally on page one, really sets the tone... I mean come ON, that's just basic stuff!

I've gotta say, I REALLY hope they step up their game in issue 2... So far there's NO sign of G1, apart from the aforementioned screwed-up volcano name. The "witches" for some reason look like Equestria Girls (technicolour skin, hair etc, even their fashion sense is VERY EQG-y) with a bit of the Jem comic aesthetic thrown in for good measure...? Nothing like Reeka and Draggle. Supposedly they're R&D's daughters, but the only way you can tell is how they mentioned their mothers every couple of panels (this was really forced.. idk how to explain it exactly, but they just really kept going "oh yeah like our moms" a LOT, really shoving it down our throats? As if that "legitimizes" these chars' relationships to the old ones? IDK how else to explain it, but that stood out to me as being weirdly written). Otherwise they just hung around spouting modern dialogue and being super out of place...

The rest of the comic was pure G4. No G1 ponies apart from the covers. :/ Really not impressed so far.

I will say though, I did like how they included the alt. covers at the back of the comic, that was a very nice touch. Usually I just see that done with the trade paperbacks. So I'll give them that. But yeah, so far I'm not liking this whatsoever. :( I mean, I went into it with fairly low expectations (it was a "Let's see how it goes" not a "OMG I'm so excited!!" if that makes sense) but geez...

Seriously? Wow, way to drop the ball IDW writers.  :nope:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:48:47 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »

Spoiler

I'm with you 100%! I preordered the digital on iTunes. It came available at like midnight and I read past the pages they previewed before and while reading the next 3 pages I was "REALLY?!" then skipped past to see if Surprise was in the remaining pages and was disappointed I'll have to wait for the next issue though I'm DREADING what they'll do with her now.  :yikes:

Spoiler
You summed up the daughters very well! I couldn't put my feelings into words only 'UGH!!" when I went back to read it after hunting the rest of the pages for the G1's. The whole ''Geeze they were just pranking them :rolleyes: like OMG!" thing was horrible -_- I know they could have told them that as kids but WHY THOUGH?! Then the rat being able to eat thru "TIME/SPACE STUFF". By that time I was reading but not processing it very well, like the G4 stuff was BORING. Why are they acting like they never thought they would need more teachers down the line  :doh: and so on... Anyway, when it got back to the daughters my mind kept reading like they suddenly could NEVER leave the volcano, when before it was they couldn't do magic outside the volcano? Then that stupid game map of the rat getting them the ingredients....I just stopped trying to comprehend what was going on and just wanting to know how badly they treat Surprise cause that's the only thing I'm willing to get more of the comics for  ^^;

When I read your part of them not being anything like Reeka and Draggle I was 'I did see one kind of chubby and the one skinny.." but until you said the techno color part...I DIDN'T REALIZE THEY WHERE DIFFERENT COLORS! My mind must have not wanted to realize that part at all.  :doh:
I just saw Dyer's skin town and imagined it was the same on the other's skin...and I cringed so hard over they top three magic choices, all modern crap. CONVENTIONS?! You got to be kidding me... the whole daughters thing was like they only looked at screen caps of the movie and End of Flutter Valley and didn't actually watch them  >_<

The sign for the volcano didn't bug me too much for some reason o.O

Want to go on but my brain is sad now  :P

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »
I didn't want to be a Debby downer! I just. I don't like how the IDW comics are now, even the past few series (including season 10) just are so boring and don't grab my attention. They throw characters in left and right as if there aren't enough characters from the past 9 seasons that at least I care MILDLY about having seen them in episodes.

That was my big problem with this comic. Who are these people? Daughters of the witches. Why not...the actual witches? They don't even resemble them, I can't pinpoint who is the daughter of who. Who's the magic rat. What's going on, I don't care.

The art was also really weak for this entry. I know it's the artists first time with ponies, but seeing what feel like stock photos pasted in every panel just takes me out of it. We've had artists with unique styles, I would have preferred to see that artists personal take on the ponies than what was essentially a DeviantArt vector comic.

If you were considering picking up this just to see G1...they're not in there. Don't bother. If you like the past few IDW comics, maybe you'll enjoy it? I just spent every page going "who cares. Who cares. Who cares"

Hopefully we see something more interesting later on, for now this just felt like another "Season Ten" issue that I read and immediately forget.

(I'm on my phone, count the spelling errors! I'm sure there's a few)

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal