collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16161 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
NEW IDW has announced G5 comics
« on: June 21, 2021, 08:01:20 AM »
I'm just going to insert the Wiki article here since I've put all that we know so far on it. :)

OLD:
I can't actually link to the eggy daily site but here's a quote:
SAN DIEGO, CA (June 21, 2021) – Since its very inception in 2012, the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic monthly comic book series from IDW has captured the hearts and minds of filly fans everywhere. Now, after almost a decade of publication, we bid a fond farewell to Friendship is Magic with September’s issue #102, the oversized conclusion of the official “Season 10” storyline that picked up where the beloved animated series left off.
But friends, never fear! Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity will return in a new series beginning in October: My Little Pony: Generations! Written by Casey Gilly and illustrated by Michela Cacciatore, the new five-issue miniseries will see the Ponies of two separate generations collide, as the familiar faces from Friendship is Magic must call upon the original G1 Ponies of the 1980s for help against a new witch threat erupting from the Volcano of Doom!
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #102, by longtime contributors Jeremy Whitley and Andy Price, delivers the long-awaited climax of the “Season 10” story arc. With the Knights of Order launching an all-out assault on Equestria, the Mane 6 must face a foe singularly focused on capturing the Elements of Harmony. It’s a good thing that they have a lot of friends, old and new, upon whom they can rely!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:01:12 AM by tailrustedtealeaf »

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »
Oh neat! I can’t wait to read these! Thanks for posting!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 08:33:43 AM »
I'm positive about this - for one thing it seems to be by someone who grew up with G1 (unless I misread that part) so it's not like they're just throwing in G1s because they think that's what people would want, and they'll at least be trying to be faithful and/or respectful.

I know not everyone here likes the Concept Six being treated as the G1 "Mane Cast", because they weren't - they're just what Lauren would have used, but it kind of makes sense to use them if this is the end of the G4 comic, because, they're basically the G1 ponies that led up to the creation of the Mane Six, so... they've basically gone full circle, or something...?  I dunno, I think it's kind of beautiful.   :lovey:

I also find it a nice touch that they appear to be using Sparkler and Glory (unless I'm misunderstanding the left picture) - Sparkler is the official "Concept Rarity" (i.e. the pony Lauren would have used if she could have used the G1s), but she also got Rarity's design from Glory, so she kind of part of this as well... the unofficial "Concept Seventh" if you like, so if that's what they're doing.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 09:00:07 AM »
Humm okay. But will they actually get the ponies personalities correctly? Or will they be carbon copies of the Mane Suxx? 

At least both are in their respective styles.

Will they include ponies who were actually more likely to show up, like Wind Whistler,  Fizzy, Truly, Galaxy, and Shady? Or are they gonna stick with Lauren's inspirational misunderstanding? Nm that roughly half those ponies were G3 based and swapped.

Will the FiM writers actually have a fair balance,  or are they just gonna use it to take unnecessary and baseless potshots at MLP n Friends to support supposed FiM superiority?

I'll wait and see, because I haven't been charmed by Hasbro writer's innapropriate, immature, brony humor concerning past generations.

What's the Eggy Daily?  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:21:35 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »
I’m not sure how I feel about it, but I’m interested enough I do want to read it.  :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 09:36:06 AM »
Why are they including these ponies, instead of the ones from the movie? (Idk if the volcano witches were featured in the original comics or not, sorry in advance.) The art style is cute, I'll give em that much. Looks a bit like Tales though for some reason. I almost thought that was Melody for a moment.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:37:54 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
The art of the G1 ponies is very cute and I'm always excited to see new media featuring them but... as I am not a fan of the G4 cast, I would have liked them to stay far, far away from G1! I don't have high hopes for how the G1 characters will be portrayed. I really hope they won't give them the personalities Faust assigned them and I'm kind of bothered they chose those 6 ponies in the first place as they didn't exactly have much personality in the cartoon (aside from Surprise).

Wishlist

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
Why are they including these ponies, instead of the ones from the movie? (Idk if the volcano witches were featured in the original comics or not, sorry in advance.) The art style is cute, I'll give em that much. Looks a bit like Tales though for some reason. I almost thought that was Melody for a moment.
keep in mind that you're only seeing the cover lol, maybe there'll be more inside. it's a bit early to jump on the negativity.
i don't really have an issue with the gen 1 "predecessors" being a thing like some people seem to, it was just laurens preference after all. can't be helped if it leads to misunderstandings from people who dont do research. the comics are usually decent (at least the ones i've read) so we'll see how it goes.

on a positive note, the third cover with the two twilights is adorable :)
I'm positive about this - for one thing it seems to be by someone who grew up with G1 (unless I misread that part) so it's not like they're just throwing in G1s because they think that's what people would want, and they'll at least be trying to be faithful and/or respectful.

I know not everyone here likes the Concept Six being treated as the G1 "Mane Cast", because they weren't - they're just what Lauren would have used, but it kind of makes sense to use them if this is the end of the G4 comic, because, they're basically the G1 ponies that led up to the creation of the Mane Six, so... they've basically gone full circle, or something...?  I dunno, I think it's kind of beautiful.   :lovey:

I also find it a nice touch that they appear to be using Sparkler and Glory (unless I'm misunderstanding the left picture) - Sparkler is the official "Concept Rarity" (i.e. the pony Lauren would have used if she could have used the G1s), but she also got Rarity's design from Glory, so she kind of part of this as well... the unofficial "Concept Seventh" if you like, so if that's what they're doing.
i feel like they wont include both because it'd be unbalanced, it might just be miscommunications from the artists? i'll be pleasantly surprised if they do.

also, anyone else hope that they include other gen references in here too?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:45:55 AM by bladed »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
Ohhhh gosh!! Those covers are gorgeous, I hope the story is fun too!! I haven't kept up with the MLP comics very well, after I bought the first five or so! :blush: I guess I need to get back into it!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
I have bad feelings about that...
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
That looks like Lofty is there anyway.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 12:24:27 PM »
Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this... Guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I agree that I wish they were using the show characters instead of the damn ""concept six"" or whatever we're calling them. And the second cover is cute, but Surprise isn't blonde, dammit!! :P

Humm okay. But will they actually get the ponies personalities correctly? Or will they be carbon copies of the Mane Suxx? 

<snip>

Will the FiM writers actually have a fair balance,  or are they just gonna use it to take unnecessary and baseless potshots at MLP n Friends to support supposed FiM superiority?

These are my main concerns, too.

Interesting to hear the witches might be in it, though... could be promising... I just hope they don't make them parodies of themselves or anything. I know the witches are goofy as heck, but there's a thin line between "yes, we know this is silly" and "hurr hurr wasn't the old show so stupid?", you know? (Dunno how to word it)

as the familiar faces from Friendship is Magic must call upon the original G1 Ponies of the 1980s

ha, I see what you did there, IDW solicitor writers.

The art of the G1 ponies is very cute and I'm always excited to see new media featuring them but... as I am not a fan of the G4 cast, I would have liked them to stay far, far away from G1!

I agree, I'd much rather have had a G1-only comic. Guess I can see why they "had" to have the G4s in there, the FiM comics are obviously selling well if they're only just ending now (I didn't realize they were still going! I knew they were still doing some spinoffs but I didn't know it was still going *regularly*) so they want that market, it makes sense, but... still... I dunno, I just would prefer the two gens be kept as separate deals. Admittedly I'm not that big a fan of crossovers in general, though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:27:32 PM by Carrehz »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 01:31:00 PM »
Shoobedoop...shooshoobedoop...

Ok so I just saw this after posting in the unpopular opinions...

I have...so many mixed views on this.

I don't like that it's those six. I understand why it is, but I don't like it.

The real test will be whether the characters of the G1s are actually based on the original characters or whether they'll be forced into mirroring the M6.  This is especially a problem with AJ, who is entirely different...but also with figuring out Glory or Sparkler. Neither one has a major animation presence, true, but neither one is like Rarity either in the brief cameos they have.

I have no idea why those characters would know about stopping the witches. I'm pretty sure that was a different cast and some flutter ponies.

But all my personal twitches aside, I find this move interesting. I see it in the opposite way tbh...rather than putting FIM in there because G4 is selling well and popular, I think it's the opposite. They're ending the G4 only comic and making a crossover with G1 alongside G4 because G4 is dying out and G1 retro stuff is popular. Remember Hasbro changed their own attitude from "we have nothing to do with the BF ponies" to "here are some weird retro G4s we decided to issue/lets talk about the 'original m6 (collector ponies)'.

It smacks of them trying to reach out to us - to this market, because they sense the other one waning.

I may be wrong, but I can't see any reason to include G1 to pander to bronies. They don't want G1.

The big question is really whether we - or those who would be interested from a retro standpoint - want G4.

There's a Japanese fandom I've been involved in for a long time now, and there are a series of games, which is up to like iteration 7 I think by now. But 3 is the most popular by far. And so far they've done one game where they had 'generations' like this, and they also did a bunch of reissues and events for 3 even though it's been 15 ? years since the game originally came out.

Using a popular concept from within a wider franchise is the real sales ploy here IMO.

But eh. I'm not big on the G1 animation characterisations anyway. If these are just diluted M6, even more so.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
You raise some good points, Taffeta, especially the thing about a sudden G1 crossover seeming a bit desperate - I agree. (Good point re: Hasbro's reply to the Basic Fun ponies too, hadn't even considered that but it's a fair point to raise) I think that's one of the things that was bugging me about it earlier, that I couldn't put my finger on before... it just felt really weird and out of nowhere, but I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Also this:

I may be wrong, but I can't see any reason to include G1 to pander to bronies. They don't want G1.

The big question is really whether we - or those who would be interested from a retro standpoint - want G4.

See, that's what I was wondering, too - who is this for?? I think that's going to be what makes or breaks this, at least for me. Is it written for ALL fans, or is it going to be "G1 but from a G4[/G4 fan's] perspective". Cause if it's the latter, then that's... what I'm worried it'll be, pretty much. But then on the other hand, I'm having difficulty imagining a... not sure what the word I'm looking for is. A take on the crossover concept from a "G1/G1 fan" perspective, I guess would be a way of describing it? Cause I dunno about other communities but at least on here, it feels like most of us (regardless of whether or not we like G4 in general) prefer to keep the gens separate? Gah, I know what I mean but I'm failing at putting it into words. I guess I'm just wondering who exactly this is directed at.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 01:59:50 PM »
Yeah...

But part of the issue is that I don't think there are many people in and around Hasbro or the franchises associated with MLP licences that know a lot about G1.

Basic Fun have done a great job with the ponies, but that's in a sense mimicry. They're only dealing with reproducing a physical toy, and their choices are not always what we would expect as fans (see TE choice range, lack of Powder etc). They seem to be made from the perspective of what is profitable to produce. Which makes sense. But isn't really G1 knowledge as we would think of it.

I think a lot of this 'G1 knowledge' is being based around Faustworld...I mean, that Toys that Made Us documentary chose to interview her, and though that was a mostly good overview of G1's history, the idea that her concept of G1 was somehow important is kind of key here. Whether we personally like or dislike her concept (I'm in the latter camp) there are a lot of people for whom that is now 'G1' in their mind's eye.

...The idea of using those six instead of the actual movie cast shows that too. There's not an actual awareness or willingness to embrace G1 as its own entity in the days it was the only MLP. There's just this hindsight view as though it's somehow a safety net, building it from G4??

It's the same as the attitude that the cartoon for G1 defines G1 because G4's cartoon defined G4.

I don't like the sense that 'actual G1 people' are involved in this either. Actual G1 people are all over the place. They're here. But none of us have the same concept of what G1 is as one another. So what meaning does 'real g1 fans!' have in this context? Not much. I'd rather have someone unconnected to MLP who bothers to research and represent the original world of G1 (even the animated related one) than someone who calls themselves a 'fan' but is still tied to the strings of G4 in some way.

I mean, I have similar issues with the Jem comic, because it priveleged fanon over canon. I'm all for fanon - in fanfic. But not in something that's going to be judged as 'canon'. And Jem actually had a 'canon'. G1 didn't really; it had several.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal