collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16168 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2021, 07:02:49 AM »
Took the words right out of my mouth Tailrust. It's a shame cause I DID just pick this up to see what they did with G1 :( I really wanted to give it a chance but there's just no crossover in this crossover!

The witch daughters.. I really honestly feel almost like they were designed for some OTHER story but not used, and then they decided to have a G1 crossover and recycled the designs for this, even though it doesn't make sense. It'd certainly explain why they look nothing like their supposed relatives :/ Not that I was hoping for a "generation xerox" design (i.e. for the daughters to look exactly like their mothers) but come on!! I said from the get-go "why not just use the ACTUAL witches" but I was hoping it'd make sense when I'd actually read it, but man, it makes even LESS sense after reading! Geez.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2021, 04:57:33 PM »
I don't know if it'll be enough to sway any of you who have decided, but I wouldn't lose hope if you genuinely want to see G1 characters appear. I keep up with solicitation summary's as they appear on EQD, and you might want to see the summary for issue #4:

Spoiler
The original ponies are here! North Star, Lickety-Split, Minty, Rosedust, Lofty, and more team up with Starlight Glimmer, Twilight Sparkle, and the rest of the gang to get to the bottom of the strange, havoc-wreaking Smooze.

The plan of witches Grackle and Dyre is heating up! Can the combined forces of our favorite ponies stop them?!

I haven't had to chance to pick up this comic or the final issue of FIM yet, but maybe this won't be the worst thing? I've just been disappointed with the new artist so far.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2021, 05:29:25 PM »
I'm confused.  :blink:

Spoiler
So they don't show up till the second-to-last issue, and are now a completely different set of ponies then the ones on the covers? I mean, I'm glad  they're going with some of the movie ponies. It just seems to be a bit strange that they're doing a sudden switch-a-roo. Also, why is Minty there? :wonder:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:35:03 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
I'm confused.  :blink:

Spoiler
So they don't show up till the second-to-last issue, and are now a completely different set of ponies then the ones on the covers? I mean, I'm glad  they're going with some of the movie ponies. It just seems to be a bit strange that they're doing a sudden switch-a-roo. Also, why is Minty there? :wonder:

It says "and more" so the ones from the cover could be in there too.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2021, 05:00:39 AM »
Let's not forget it was really common for later (especially post G1) releases of G1 animation on DVD/VHS to appear with completely the wrong ponies/style of ponies/utterly made up ponies on the covers, so I don't think that's a new thing.

What will matter is whether they're inside the comic.

I reserve judgement till there's more information available.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2021, 05:01:40 AM »
I don't know if it'll be enough to sway any of you who have decided, but I wouldn't lose hope if you genuinely want to see G1 characters appear. I keep up with solicitation summary's as they appear on EQD, and you might want to see the summary for issue #4:

Spoiler
The original ponies are here! North Star, Lickety-Split, Minty, Rosedust, Lofty, and more team up with Starlight Glimmer, Twilight Sparkle, and the rest of the gang to get to the bottom of the strange, havoc-wreaking Smooze.

The plan of witches Grackle and Dyre is heating up! Can the combined forces of our favorite ponies stop them?!

Oh so,
Spoiler
It's not just the "Concept Six", and they are including other G1s?
I haven't read any of the comics yet, much less this series, but however they end up doing it, I'll be ultimately fine with it, as I like the idea behind it, and if worst comes to worst and they don't portray the G1s well (not saying they won't) it is just one portrayal of them, and we still have the G1 portrayals of them and anything else we like.

Spoiler
Also, why is Minty there? :wonder:
Spoiler
Presumably because she's Minty, she's a popular pony in various ways (like even some G3 haters liked her to some-extent, apparently), or maybe the people doing these comics liked her so much they chose to include her, despite the fact that this is billed as a G4 meets G1 style storyline.  They may have been like; "Who cares?!  It's Minty!"

That's assuming it's G3 Minty and not G1 Minty of course.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2021, 06:54:59 AM »
Yeah it's not particularly uncommon for comic covers to have NOTHING to do with the actual story, including featuring characters that are nowhere to be found in the actual story. (Honestly I think I've seen more "completely unrelated to the story" covers, than ones that actually WERE related to the story!) I agree it is misleading in this particular case, though.

Spoiler
So we need to wait 2 more issues for any G1 ponies to show up? What... I am so confused right now... could be misleading, solicitations can be confusingly worded or straight-up intentional misdirects, but.. *confused*

And yeah, G1 or G3 Minty? G1 Minty was never in the cartoons so I don't see what they could do with her (again, I'm assuming these writers aren't going to be familiar with the G1 comics/backcards/etc), but it'd be really weird if G3 Minty was just... there...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2021, 08:53:18 AM »
Probably good to remember that
Spoiler
(At least I'm pretty sure?) G1 Minty didn't have a backcard story anyway ;) and was never in the comic. She was in the factfile in purple, but I think that's all we have.

The MO leaflets have collective stuff on the first 6 but that's all. I'm pretty sure there isn't a story on the original first six backcard.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »
Spoiler
Yeah, I was talking in general wrt the backcards.

I did forget she wasn't in the comics though - I was thinking of the factfile, yeah.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »
Yeah it's not particularly uncommon for comic covers to have NOTHING to do with the actual story, including featuring characters that are nowhere to be found in the actual story. (Honestly I think I've seen more "completely unrelated to the story" covers, than ones that actually WERE related to the story!) I agree it is misleading in this particular case, though.

Spoiler
So we need to wait 2 more issues for any G1 ponies to show up? What... I am so confused right now... could be misleading, solicitations can be confusingly worded or straight-up intentional misdirects, but.. *confused*

And yeah, G1 or G3 Minty? G1 Minty was never in the cartoons so I don't see what they could do with her (again, I'm assuming these writers aren't going to be familiar with the G1 comics/backcards/etc), but it'd be really weird if G3 Minty was just... there...

Spoiler
They could just take G1 Minty and give her G3 Minty's personality.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
geez, I hope not :p They're different characters with the same name, let's leave it at that and not do the "Oh, same name, same diff right?" thing.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
geez, I hope not :p They're different characters with the same name, let's leave it at that and not do the "Oh, same name, same diff right?" thing.

Spoiler
But what I gathered from here she doesn't really have a canon personality. (Tbh I'm not super well versed in the G1 cartoon. While I am into all generations as far as the toys go I never really watched any of the cartoons before G4 and even that one I dropped off on somewhere along the way) If that's the case then while it's not the most creative move it wouldn't go against any past canon if they did that.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2021, 07:11:57 AM »

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
But what I gathered from here she doesn't really have a canon personality. (Tbh I'm not super well versed in the G1 cartoon. While I am into all generations as far as the toys go I never really watched any of the cartoons before G4 and even that one I dropped off on somewhere along the way) If that's the case then while it's not the most creative move it wouldn't go against any past canon if they did that.
Spoiler
yeah, exactly my point - why use G1 Minty and graft G3 Minty's personality onto her, instead of just... using one of the G1s that WAS in the movie/cartoon...??

Not that I necessarily have a problem with them making up their *own* personality for Minty/anyone else (like I've said before, I've got my own ideas of personalities for some G1s, we probably all do) but again, since they're using the movie continuity here... in theory, anyway... just seems weird to toss in an otherwise-unrelated pony because she has the same name as a popular G3. And if it IS G3 Minty, then that's weird to toss a G3 into a supposed "G1/G4" crossover.

(unless it turned into an all-gen crossover... but LOL of course they're not going to acknowledge G2)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2021, 08:57:07 AM »
Heh. I knew I spotted Lofty.

Spoiler
And why are they bringing them in so late?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:27:54 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
Heh. I knew I spotted Lofty.

Spoiler
And why are they bringing them in so late?

Note: Still haven't read any of it.
Spoiler
Setting and/or building things up?  Seems strange though as this is billed as "G4 meets G1" for all intents and purposes, so you'd think they'd have them in earlier, even if it's a "Meanwhile..." to show us what the G1s are doing and/or them being affected by the villains' actions or whatever.

I mean, a project I'm working on is planned to wait a season for the pre-G4s to appear, but I'm not sure if that's the same.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal