collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16300 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2021, 09:06:56 AM »
I'm going to really miss the Friendship is Magic series IDW did. I buy omnibus volumes with every release, and trade paperbacks of the annuals or series not big enough to be added to an omnibus. I can understand it's time for it to go though.

I don't have any fears or concerns about the portrayals of the G1 characters personally! Im very excited for the Generations comic, I think it will be a lot of fun. I have a lot of "out there" headcanons about how the G1 world works so I don't have a right to fuss about canon/fanon/comic interpretations.

The only thing that kills me is that the covers Celesse is doing are the Retailer Incentive ones, so its like one out of every 100 printed will have that cover per issue, and they will be VERY expensive  :sad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
Disclaimer: I'm sorry if anyone dislikes the term "Concept Six", but that is the easiest way for me to refer to them as a group, especially within subjects like this - I can't call them the "G1 Mane Six", because they never were a "mane six" in G1.

I respect and understand what people are saying about using these characters rather than other G1 ponies, especially ones that actually are core ponies, or are more well known to the G1 fans.  Maybe they will include other G1s, maybe they won't, but I understand what you're saying.

However, while G4 isn't the whole franchise, and while the Concept Six aren't the entirety of G1 (and never were core ponies, sans Firefly, during G1) at the end of the day, while there's still a chance they'll do stuff that will appeal to G1 fans, this is ultimately a G4 thing.  The point is more likely that the Mane Six are meeting the ponies that led to their inspiration, rather than specifically G4 meeting G1 - it's the Mane Six retracing their roots (from a creator's standpoint) rather than My Little Pony retracing its roots, so they're meeting the G1 ponies they were inspired by, rather than actual G1 main characters.  So for what it likely is, I think it serves its purpose.

In terms of there being no one "canon" of G1, that is also correct - all generations have at least two canons to my knowledge, and then there's our own stories for them.  Even if someone is putting their idea of what G1 is in this, it is their idea of G1, the same as how the Concept Six was Lauren's idea of what G1 was, which also has value, but it was her idea of G1, the same as everyone has their idea of what each generation was or could be.

It's like in me and my friend's project, we will feature as many G1 ponies as possible (as well as other generations up to at least G4) and it will not end on the Concept Six.  There is one episode planned that groups the Concept Six together as a pseudo-Mane Cast, but this is more of a shout out to the fact that they were planned to be one in G4 rather than actually implying there were one.

Regarding the Concept Six, I have no idea how many bronies write them as copies of the Mane Six, but when I include them, I will not write them like this – there is no reason for me to do so, as I already have the Mane Six.  The Concept Six will (as individuals) take their personalities from what can be taken from their canon personalities, with our own writing ideas for their personalities also included – which essentially how all canon characters will be written (including the Mane Six) we get what we like and/or can use from canon versions of them (keeping in mind that some canons contradict each other) but they're all ultimately our “version” of them.

But yeah, however the Concept Six are written in this comic series, it is still just another version of those characters (even if they do end up acting like the Mane Six) and like all characters in MLP there will be many ways to write and/or interpret them – they don't even have to be the Concept Six in everyone's version (and for a lot of people, I'm guessing they aren't) and there will forever be opportunities to give other G1 characters a chance to shine, be it canon or fanon.  But taking this comic as what it is at face value – a finale for its canon for G4, it makes sense that the Concept Six were chosen since they led up to the creation of the Mane Six.  It's likely more of a call back to how G4 was created than a call back to G1 (even if they do end up referencing G1) – they'll be plenty of other ways for people, be it fanon or canon, to pay homage to G1 (and any other generation.)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2021, 09:34:16 AM »
I don't have any fears or concerns about the portrayals of the G1 characters personally! Im very excited for the Generations comic, I think it will be a lot of fun. I have a lot of "out there" headcanons about how the G1 world works so I don't have a right to fuss about canon/fanon/comic interpretations.

That's how I feel too! After all, a new reboot or remake doesn't take anything away from the original tv show/movie. So a new interpretation of G1 characters doesn't take away anything from the 80's characters we love. It's just a new interpretation! And I think it'll be fun to see how these comic creators represent the characters. Will the G1 ponies be from far in the G4 past? Or the far future? Or an alternate dimension? I can't wait to find out!

The only thing that kills me is that the covers Celesse is doing are the Retailer Incentive ones, so its like one out of every 100 printed will have that cover per issue, and they will be VERY expensive  :sad:

Aw, that's always hard, I'm so sorry. :( Chase items make me so anxious... I always feel relieved when I don't like the design of an exclusive so I don't have to worry about chasing it down heh.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »
That's how I feel too! After all, a new reboot or remake doesn't take anything away from the original tv show/movie. So a new interpretation of G1 characters doesn't take away anything from the 80's characters we love. It's just a new interpretation! And I think it'll be fun to see how these comic creators represent the characters. Will the G1 ponies be from far in the G4 past? Or the far future? Or an alternate dimension? I can't wait to find out!

^^^thank you for that wording lol (and bekuno, mjnseifer, probably others who mentioned it), i was actually thinking about this sitting at work :P with all the times the comic vs cartoon has come up on this forum over the years, discussing the fact that they both had different characters, rules, whatever, i don't see how this is all that different, especially since we can't say for sure how they'll act - it will be a bit disappointing if theyre near enough 1:1 copies but it's not the end of the world. after all, we aren't being forced into buying these and i hope the writers/artists are enjoying it at least.

i don't think i'll be able to buy these but i'll keep an eye out (also only realised as im about to send that i posted in this thread before with something similar but couldn't find the right way to say it - i do have more to say and a sort of anecdote but i wont ramble on more)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:36:48 AM by bladed »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2021, 10:47:41 AM »
I didn't know that comics did such things as "chase covers."
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »

Oh yeah! Really adds to their collect-ability now.

There's usually always a "Cover A" and "Cover B" and you can find both at your local comic shop. Sometimes there will even be a "Cover C". Then there's the retailer incentives I mentioned, which are very rare and made so comic shops will order more in hopes of getting one of these rare covers. Then there's retailed exclusive covers, so certain chain shops can get special covers. I have a lot of FIM issues that are hot topic or hastings exclusives!
Heck, sometimes you can even get blank covers at conventions and commission artists to draw a one of a kind cover for you!

I really only collect MLP, Care Bear, and Godzilla comics so I don't go too crazy but I will buy multiple covers if they aren't too expensive secondhand :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »

That's how I feel too! After all, a new reboot or remake doesn't take anything away from the original tv show/movie. So a new interpretation of G1 characters doesn't take away anything from the 80's characters we love. It's just a new interpretation!
THIS!!  This is how I feel about new versions of things in general, whatever the new version does, it doesn't erase the old version(s) from existence, it's just a new version.  :)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »

That's how I feel too! After all, a new reboot or remake doesn't take anything away from the original tv show/movie. So a new interpretation of G1 characters doesn't take away anything from the 80's characters we love. It's just a new interpretation!
THIS!!  This is how I feel about new versions of things in general, whatever the new version does, it doesn't erase the old version(s) from existence, it's just a new version.  :)

This is how I feel about this and how I felt about the Jem comics. Tho I can understand someone being tired of the Mane 6 and would rather the G1 ponies have entirely new personalities than just be a rehash of the Mane 6. Not everyone has to love G4 (or everything about it) just like not everyone has to love G1 (or everything about it). Just as long as people handle it respectfully.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »

Oh yeah! Really adds to their collect-ability now.

There's usually always a "Cover A" and "Cover B" and you can find both at your local comic shop. Sometimes there will even be a "Cover C". Then there's the retailer incentives I mentioned, which are very rare and made so comic shops will order more in hopes of getting one of these rare covers. Then there's retailed exclusive covers, so certain chain shops can get special covers. I have a lot of FIM issues that are hot topic or hastings exclusives!
Heck, sometimes you can even get blank covers at conventions and commission artists to draw a one of a kind cover for you!

I really only collect MLP, Care Bear, and Godzilla comics so I don't go too crazy but I will buy multiple covers if they aren't too expensive secondhand :)

Ahh i see.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 11:33:31 AM »
Solicitations for issue 2 are now out:
Grackle and Dyre, the young granddaughters of the evil witch Hydia, have set out to destroy all of pony-dom! And even worse-their plan might be working! Friendship begins to fall apart as their lackeys Black Belle, Shadow Storm, and Violet Shiver wreak havoc in Ponyville!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2021, 11:37:56 AM »
Uhh ok? What on earth is a grackle?

ETA: answered my own question,  it's a very pretty species of bird.

Has anyone actually read these yet?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:43:40 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2021, 01:04:43 PM »
I don't know anything about comics, so hopefully my questions aren't too stupid. But, where do you buy these? Are they online special order only?

We have a couple comic shops in the area, and I've been specifically on the lookout for these but have yet to come across them. Like I said, I don't really collect or read comics, and I really only want these "RI" cover, so I don't know if that's going to make them harder to find.

Also, I probably missed it, but how many issues will this mini-series be?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »
I don't know anything about comics, so hopefully my questions aren't too stupid. But, where do you buy these? Are they online special order only?

We have a couple comic shops in the area, and I've been specifically on the lookout for these but have yet to come across them. Like I said, I don't really collect or read comics, and I really only want these "RI" cover, so I don't know if that's going to make them harder to find.

Also, I probably missed it, but how many issues will this mini-series be?

Type in mlp G1/G4 crossover comic and hit the shopping button and it'll tell you who has it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:12:24 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »
Aww, Blackbelle is what I called my favourite plushie. Cute to see MLP using the name. But I admit I'm not sure what any of this has to do with G1? ^^;

Also "granddaughters of Hydia" when's this meant to be set, then? :o That'd seem to indicate it's fairly far into the future, but then how do the G1 ponies come into it...? *confused* Why not just use Reeka and Draggle and have done with it. Well, I'm sure it'll make sense in context.

(How reliable are IDW's solicitations, does anyone know? I'm only really familiar with Boom Comics and their solitications weren't always reliable... sometimes they'd be perfect synopses and other times the actual story was completely different to what had been soliticited.. Just wondering so I know how much stock to put into these Generations solicitations. ^^;)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 01:21:50 PM »
Has anyone actually read these yet?
Don't think it's out yet.

RI stands for Retailer Incentive. The odds for this issue seem to be 1:10, so for every 10 issues ordered, at least one should be the cover. I know there are a few different sites that sell specialty covers, and the RI edition is likely to be more expensive and sought after. There's a chance you may find them in person if I'm understanding correctly.

(How reliable are IDW's solicitations, does anyone know?)
I've not seen any major issues with their solicitations.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal