collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16163 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 07:20:26 AM »
I don't have a problem with them basing G1 off the cartoon world (for one thing, it's probably more easily accessible to the average comic author than the UK comics... man, wouldn't it be nice if those got a proper reprint one of these days? Now THAT would be awesome. Going a bit off-topic there though, just something that occurred to me), it's just the use of THOSE particular characters that has me worried, it's so "G4". Like:

I’m not thrilled that they use those particular G1 ponies just to imply that they have a special relationship to the G4 ponies. Especially as those G1 ponies are their own individuals and not some alternate universe version of G4s as in a Star Trek episode.

If they had used ponies like Wind Whistler, Buttons, Majesty, Cotton Candy or even ponies like Dancing Butterflies and Parasol… I’d be more interested.

this - great way of putting it. Faust's interpretation of the chars is great and just as valid as anything else, but I don't like this recontextualization (I guess would be the word) of making it seem like these six are a thing, if that makes sense. This recent trend of taking these particular G1s and presenting them as "The 80s versions of the Mane 6!" like in that Twilight SDCC 2-pack. I don't mind a bit of reinterpretation, writers putting their own spin on it, etc, since the G1 world is so open to interpretation/there were so many different continuities/etc - I think we all have our own idea of how the G1 world "works", for example - but yeah like I said... who is this comic being made for. Cause the use of those particular chars doesn't convince me that it's being made for us, if that makes sense.

I agree a Tales/FiM crossover could be interesting.

Ahhh I knew I recognized that art style! Always nice when a fanartist gets to do official art :)

Yes! IDW is known for that! Quite a few of their comics are drawn by people who were big fans (and had large collections of fanart on DA). :)

I've noticed this happening a lot with comics in general these days, I think it's super cool :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 07:21:31 AM »
I haven't kept up with the G4 comic anyway, so I'm a bit ambivalent, the covers are okay, I'm more curious about what happens inside and that'll probably determine if I will or will not buy the books.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline therainbowtroll

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Depends Pony
  • I'm the pony everypony should know!
    • View Profile
    • FA
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 09:51:54 AM »
I am looking forward to this! Its a fitting end. However I seriously need to catch up on the comics! I have a list on my phone of all the comics I am missing and I woulden't mind getting on that soonish!  :P
https://ibb.co/kUfiYF
By pawpatrolbab

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 01:13:41 PM »
Silly Hasbro, it's the Volcano of GLOOM, not Doom! :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 02:57:24 PM »
Yeah...

But part of the issue is that I don't think there are many people in and around Hasbro or the franchises associated with MLP licences that know a lot about G1.

Basic Fun have done a great job with the ponies, but that's in a sense mimicry. They're only dealing with reproducing a physical toy, and their choices are not always what we would expect as fans (see TE choice range, lack of Powder etc). They seem to be made from the perspective of what is profitable to produce. Which makes sense. But isn't really G1 knowledge as we would think of it.

I think a lot of this 'G1 knowledge' is being based around Faustworld...I mean, that Toys that Made Us documentary chose to interview her, and though that was a mostly good overview of G1's history, the idea that her concept of G1 was somehow important is kind of key here. Whether we personally like or dislike her concept (I'm in the latter camp) there are a lot of people for whom that is now 'G1' in their mind's eye.

...The idea of using those six instead of the actual movie cast shows that too. There's not an actual awareness or willingness to embrace G1 as its own entity in the days it was the only MLP. There's just this hindsight view as though it's somehow a safety net, building it from G4??

It's the same as the attitude that the cartoon for G1 defines G1 because G4's cartoon defined G4.

I don't like the sense that 'actual G1 people' are involved in this either. Actual G1 people are all over the place. They're here. But none of us have the same concept of what G1 is as one another. So what meaning does 'real g1 fans!' have in this context? Not much. I'd rather have someone unconnected to MLP who bothers to research and represent the original world of G1 (even the animated related one) than someone who calls themselves a 'fan' but is still tied to the strings of G4 in some way.

I mean, I have similar issues with the Jem comic, because it priveleged fanon over canon. I'm all for fanon - in fanfic. But not in something that's going to be judged as 'canon'. And Jem actually had a 'canon'. G1 didn't really; it had several.

I'm not so sure they're trying to reach out to us. If they were they'd actually dig into MLP's own past sources like they do for Transformers and Joe fans. This feels like it'll have just enough fan service to catch people's attention, and enough fan-ficcyness, to annoy people.

I hope I'm wrong, but

Post Merge: June 25, 2021, 02:58:06 PM

Silly Hasbro, it's the Volcano of GLOOM, not Doom! :P

Good catch!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2021, 03:19:05 PM »
This looks cute. I'm optimistic.  :)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
I, of course, am glad the witches might be coming back.  I don't know if it's the witches we know and love or if they will be new or re-booted, but I'm hoping Draggle is back!

I know opinions vary, but I feel humans have been absent from the world of ponies for way too long.

Offline ThermalMoon

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2021, 02:22:47 PM »
I, of course, am glad the witches might be coming back.  I don't know if it's the witches we know and love or if they will be new or re-booted, but I'm hoping Draggle is back!

I see someone is part of the Draggle appreciation squad, right there with ya'. Anyways, that's also what I'm hoping for, even though this cover already a few alarming things I may not like. But I'm sure some people will still like it, even with its hiccups. Definitely got to agree with Taffeta's points though regarding their interpretation of G1, but I still look forward to it.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »
this is cool I deffo want these comics :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »
I'm hoping they do the witches justice, too. :) I like that they used them instead of Tirac or Grogar (since those seem more popular with bronies, from what I've seen... though I suppose FiM already had their own versions of those chars, maybe that's why they're using the witches). I love the witches, especially Draggle.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
Draggle is my favorite witch. I hope they do the witches justice too.

Offline Queen Sophie

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2021, 08:14:14 PM »
I’m curious to know why one of the covers has ponies in the g3 design

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2021, 08:42:11 PM »
The fact that the witches are in it is pretty much the only reason I'm interested at all. I do like the art on that second cover, but like others have said, I'm leery about their choices of G1 ponies to feature, and I hope that they aren't portrayed as doppelgangers of the Mane 6 from another dimension.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2021, 07:11:52 AM »
I’m not thrilled that they use those particular G1 ponies just to imply that they have a special relationship to the G4 ponies. Especially as those G1 ponies are their own individuals and not some alternate universe version of G4s as in a Star Trek episode.

If they had used ponies like Wind Whistler, Buttons, Majesty, Cotton Candy or even ponies like Dancing Butterflies and Parasol… I’d be more interested.

:iconclap:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2021, 05:55:34 PM »
I’m curious to know why one of the covers has ponies in the g3 design

It's common to get different artists to do different "variant" covers for special comic book issues. That way collectors who are completists will buy the issue more than once, to get all the covers that are offered (or just to buy the different covers they like). Some artists have wildly varying art styles. I'm fairly certain that particular cover wasn't meant to represent the ponies in a G3 design, it's just that particular artist's art style. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal