Pony Talk > Pony Corral

NEW IDW has announced G5 comics

<< < (28/45) > >>

MJNSEIFER:

--- Quote from: Dragonflitter on November 19, 2021, 08:00:07 AM ---SpoilerI have to say the designs of the teen witches and Trench as ponies really annoy me... I felt the same about Tempest's design in the G4 movie. It seems like all the OC "edgy, cool" ponysonas that people make online.
--- End quote ---

SpoilerHmmm... I've actually never seen any OC ponysonas like that, the ones I see just look like... My Little Pony characters.  That said, I never found Tempest particularly "edgy" either... I mean, there was a kind of difference to her, and the typical MLP design, but... it still feels like a difference that fits in with the franchise, in its own way, to me.  But yeah, I haven't even seen any OCs that even look close to these designs, personally.

Respect your opinion, of course... hope it was okay to comment.

Dragonflitter:
Soooooooo... Issue 3 has landed and we FINALLY see the G1 ponies! ...in one panel on the last page of this issue.  -_- Of this 5-issue series. Sigh.

You know I purposely went into this with low expectations, and yet I still feel disappointed...

The G1 arrival:

Spoilervisitors can't see pics , please register or login

My spoiler-y review of Issue 3:

SpoilerI had to take a moment to remind myself of the story, since I read it a couple months ago. So the two young witches from the Volcano Dimension have made smooze and had it take the form of 3 weird edgy-looking ponies who are now in Ponyville, pretending to be teachers and causing trouble at the School of Friendship and in town.

At first the ponies try to figure out who is causing all the trouble, but then they decide it's better to just deal with the trouble itself by hosting a friendship party to get everyone to be on good terms again. (Cuz logic, I guess?)

We have a couple pages of the witches, as Trench goes to report to them that the ponies are going to throw a town-wide party and their solution to this is to tell their three S'monies to be *even more* dastardly. Then we hop back to Ponyville, where the Mane 6 are decorating and doing party preparations, with Pinkie in the lead.

The S'monies show up, because they need to ruin the party, so Violet Shiver (the purple one) volunteers to help Pinkie Pie with decorations. While they're decorating, Violet Shiver and Pinkie start talking, and Violet discovers she's actually very good at making art crafts and decorations. (I thought maybe this was some character growth thing where she's going to learn a new side of herself, but it doesn't really go anywhere.)

Twilight thinks the decorations that Violet Shiver made are suspicious looking, and Pinkie is mad at her for not trusting the new pony. Twilight and Pinkie go out into the woods in the middle of the night to "test" the decorations, and they start a big argument. Which turns out to be because Violet Shiver put a curse on the decorations to make ponies fight. (See, the fact that she suddenly discovers she's good at crafts didn't really change anything in the storyline...)

They know about the curse because Zecora shows up randomly to test out the decorations (she wears a little science smock and a pair of safety goggles while she's testing, which is pretty cute!). I guess that's why the story had Pinkie and Twilight go out into the woods with the decorations in the first place.

Between Twilight and Zecora, they figure out the spell is smooze, but not like any that has been seen in Equestria. (Twilight temporarily gets possessed by the evil smooze so we can have a brief battle scene.) This smooze comes from somewhere else and it's "meant for ponies *like* us, but *not* us" as Twilight puts it. So they decide to cast a spell to open a doorway to the place where the smooze originates, in the hopes that they'll find answers there.

On the last page, the Mane 6 and Starlight Glimmer pass through Zecora's magic doorway and find themselves in a new place--Dream Valley, complete with the castle in the background! It's nice that the artist made at least a little effort to make the world seem like the G1 world and not just a repeat of Ponyville.

Then we get the cliche entrance of the new characters. Twilight says "What should we do now?" and Rarity says "Maybe we should ask them" and points to the last panel in the issue, which shows six ponies running toward them via a rainbow. I believe it's Galaxy, Gusty, Lofty, Minty, Princess Rosedust (why...?) and Twilight 1.0.

All in all, I'm a little surprised at how little plot happened in this issue. We didn't need a full 20 pages of the ponies planning a party and figuring out the smooze stuff. And we barely got to see the young witches at all, so we didn't really get very much interesting happening on that end, either.

My prediction will be that Issue 4 will be full of G4 ponies meeting G1 ponies and being given a tour of Dream Valley, possibly a bunch of small arguments and misunderstandings since that's how team-up comics usually go, and then Issue 5 will be where everyone puts aside their differences and the G4's and G1's team up to take down the witches. It would be interesting if maybe adult Draggle and Reeka make an appearance at the end to help their children, kinda a 'final boss' situation after the young witches are defeated, but that sounds cool so I'm sure it won't happen. XD

Artemesia's Garden:
I kinda like Scrorny. She reminds me of

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Courtesy of https://mlpfactfile.blogspot.com/2011

But yeah, not sure about the rest of it.

Carrehz:
SpoilerWhere's Lofty's hot-air balloon symbol? o.O I see the stars but not the balloon??

Also they're using G1 Minty after all? Weird that the cover had G3 Minty. Make up your mind, guys! :P

Disappointed to see Galaxy has normal eyes instead of Twinkle Eyes. I can live with it for merch, since most of the retro art is just the same stock lineart recoloured to match whichever pony it's meant to be, but this is all newly-drawn art so there's no reason for her NOT to have TEs here... :/
Glad I decided to drop this one. When it became clear they didn't have much interest in actually making the crossover a crossover, I cancelled my subscription :P I'll probably read the last 3 issues myself after the series has finished.

Leave a Whisper:
Why do Gusty and Lofty have Galaxy's symbol? Where are Galaxy's jewel eyes? Why are Twilight and Queen Rosedust earth ponies? This sucks. You can't even call it an animation error if it's a static image.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version