collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16155 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »
Spoiler
I have to say the designs of the teen witches and Trench as ponies really annoy me... I felt the same about Tempest's design in the G4 movie. It seems like all the OC "edgy, cool" ponysonas that people make online.

Spoiler
Hmmm... I've actually never seen any OC ponysonas like that, the ones I see just look like... My Little Pony characters.  That said, I never found Tempest particularly "edgy" either... I mean, there was a kind of difference to her, and the typical MLP design, but... it still feels like a difference that fits in with the franchise, in its own way, to me.  But yeah, I haven't even seen any OCs that even look close to these designs, personally.

Respect your opinion, of course... hope it was okay to comment.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2022, 06:34:52 PM »
Soooooooo... Issue 3 has landed and we FINALLY see the G1 ponies! ...in one panel on the last page of this issue.  -_- Of this 5-issue series. Sigh.

You know I purposely went into this with low expectations, and yet I still feel disappointed...

The G1 arrival:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My spoiler-y review of Issue 3:

Spoiler
I had to take a moment to remind myself of the story, since I read it a couple months ago. So the two young witches from the Volcano Dimension have made smooze and had it take the form of 3 weird edgy-looking ponies who are now in Ponyville, pretending to be teachers and causing trouble at the School of Friendship and in town.

At first the ponies try to figure out who is causing all the trouble, but then they decide it's better to just deal with the trouble itself by hosting a friendship party to get everyone to be on good terms again. (Cuz logic, I guess?)

We have a couple pages of the witches, as Trench goes to report to them that the ponies are going to throw a town-wide party and their solution to this is to tell their three S'monies to be *even more* dastardly. Then we hop back to Ponyville, where the Mane 6 are decorating and doing party preparations, with Pinkie in the lead.

The S'monies show up, because they need to ruin the party, so Violet Shiver (the purple one) volunteers to help Pinkie Pie with decorations. While they're decorating, Violet Shiver and Pinkie start talking, and Violet discovers she's actually very good at making art crafts and decorations. (I thought maybe this was some character growth thing where she's going to learn a new side of herself, but it doesn't really go anywhere.)

Twilight thinks the decorations that Violet Shiver made are suspicious looking, and Pinkie is mad at her for not trusting the new pony. Twilight and Pinkie go out into the woods in the middle of the night to "test" the decorations, and they start a big argument. Which turns out to be because Violet Shiver put a curse on the decorations to make ponies fight. (See, the fact that she suddenly discovers she's good at crafts didn't really change anything in the storyline...)

They know about the curse because Zecora shows up randomly to test out the decorations (she wears a little science smock and a pair of safety goggles while she's testing, which is pretty cute!). I guess that's why the story had Pinkie and Twilight go out into the woods with the decorations in the first place.

Between Twilight and Zecora, they figure out the spell is smooze, but not like any that has been seen in Equestria. (Twilight temporarily gets possessed by the evil smooze so we can have a brief battle scene.) This smooze comes from somewhere else and it's "meant for ponies *like* us, but *not* us" as Twilight puts it. So they decide to cast a spell to open a doorway to the place where the smooze originates, in the hopes that they'll find answers there.

On the last page, the Mane 6 and Starlight Glimmer pass through Zecora's magic doorway and find themselves in a new place--Dream Valley, complete with the castle in the background! It's nice that the artist made at least a little effort to make the world seem like the G1 world and not just a repeat of Ponyville.

Then we get the cliche entrance of the new characters. Twilight says "What should we do now?" and Rarity says "Maybe we should ask them" and points to the last panel in the issue, which shows six ponies running toward them via a rainbow. I believe it's Galaxy, Gusty, Lofty, Minty, Princess Rosedust (why...?) and Twilight 1.0.

All in all, I'm a little surprised at how little plot happened in this issue. We didn't need a full 20 pages of the ponies planning a party and figuring out the smooze stuff. And we barely got to see the young witches at all, so we didn't really get very much interesting happening on that end, either.

My prediction will be that Issue 4 will be full of G4 ponies meeting G1 ponies and being given a tour of Dream Valley, possibly a bunch of small arguments and misunderstandings since that's how team-up comics usually go, and then Issue 5 will be where everyone puts aside their differences and the G4's and G1's team up to take down the witches. It would be interesting if maybe adult Draggle and Reeka make an appearance at the end to help their children, kinda a 'final boss' situation after the young witches are defeated, but that sounds cool so I'm sure it won't happen. XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2022, 09:46:54 PM »
I kinda like Scrorny. She reminds me of

Courtesy of https://mlpfactfile.blogspot.com/2011

But yeah, not sure about the rest of it.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2022, 07:17:07 AM »
Spoiler
Where's Lofty's hot-air balloon symbol? o.O I see the stars but not the balloon??

Also they're using G1 Minty after all? Weird that the cover had G3 Minty. Make up your mind, guys! :P

Disappointed to see Galaxy has normal eyes instead of Twinkle Eyes. I can live with it for merch, since most of the retro art is just the same stock lineart recoloured to match whichever pony it's meant to be, but this is all newly-drawn art so there's no reason for her NOT to have TEs here... :/

Glad I decided to drop this one. When it became clear they didn't have much interest in actually making the crossover a crossover, I cancelled my subscription :P I'll probably read the last 3 issues myself after the series has finished.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2022, 07:21:11 AM »
Why do Gusty and Lofty have Galaxy's symbol? Where are Galaxy's jewel eyes? Why are Twilight and Queen Rosedust earth ponies? This sucks. You can't even call it an animation error if it's a static image.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:51:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2022, 12:51:31 PM »
Spoiler
OMG I didn't even notice Twilight and Rosedust were missing their horn/wings. With Rosedust I was distracted by her having the same body type as the others, instead of the slender legs Flutters should have.

I did notice Gusty's symbol looks more like Galaxy's :/ I was rushing before so I didn't look too closely at it, I just figured they'd drawn her maple leaves weirdly.. but looking at it again, yeah, they DO look more like stars. ???

With Lofty it almost looks like they just forgot to draw the hot-air balloon, somehow? If you compare it to how her symbol was drawn in the cartoon:

the stars look like they're in the right pattern in the comic, but it's just missing the actual main part of the symbol?? I wouldn't be this nitpicky usually with such a small image, if it was missing the stars I wouldn't have said anything, but how the heck do you forget to draw 90% of the symbol?! o.o

I am surprised they managed to get Rosedust's feather crown thingy right, I'll give 'em that one. I always thought that was a nice detail in the cartoon so it's nice to see they included it here... I just wish they'd paid attention to getting all the other details correct! >_<

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2022, 08:39:47 PM »
Well the digital has a three page preview of the 4th comic… ….it’s…

Spoiler
NOT GOOD or well I hated it. Of course they sound like G4 with a G1 look  :cry:   WHY ARE THEY WALKING ON A RAINBOW??? That part I hate a lot too. They aren’t Starlite…

More detail if you don’t want to know about it early?

Spoiler
and WHY WHHHYYYY is Bonbon there?!?!! And G3 Minty.. I guess G3’s would be fine BUT DONT ADD TALES!!  :cry: They don’t make sense to be a part of that world   :facepalm: then Megan is in her first special outfit fighting smooze  :pout: I’m afraid what more they added. And Surprise narrating the story, I don’t see her saying supreme bummer and going “Like totally lame!”  >_< Now I’m hoping those are the only instances but I’m fearing the worst  :cry:  kinda makes her sound ‘valley girl’? UGH!!

I don’t know anymore…   

:cold:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2022, 08:53:58 PM »
To be honest, I expected much worse from them.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2022, 09:36:37 PM »
I'm surprised they tossed in a Tales pony.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2022, 11:09:41 PM »
@Wildshadow

Spoiler
I agree that Surprise would never say iether of those things!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2022, 06:20:59 AM »
Re: spoilers

Spoiler
Oh no no nono that sounds terrible! Although I'll admit I'm surprised they acknowledged Tales... on the other hand - it's Bon Bon. You know, the character whose bronies swiped the name for that one G4 backgrounder. So again it's them doing things from a G4 perspective, trying to appeal to the G4 fans, more than them actually doing a Deep Cut. >_<

That dialogue does sound pretty off, I've got nothing against valspeak but it's OOC for Surprise... or well, most of the G1 characters, really. :/ Let me guess, they're gonna make her Pinkie Pie 2.0...

The rainbow-walking doesn't bug me too much since there were one or two moments like that in the G1 cartoons (the first shot of RaMC is Firefly and Medley sliding down a rainbow)... not exactly *walking* on rainbows but yeah.. that one I could live with.

And G3 Minty IS in it after all? So they've got both Minties?? I'm so confused...

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2022, 09:11:17 AM »

Spoiler
NOT GOOD or well I hated it. Of course they sound like G4 with a G1 look  :cry:   WHY ARE THEY WALKING ON A RAINBOW??? That part I hate a lot too. They aren’t Starlite…

Spoiler
and WHY WHHHYYYY is Bonbon there?!?!! And G3 Minty.. I guess G3’s would be fine BUT DONT ADD TALES!!  :cry: They don’t make sense to be a part of that world   :facepalm: then Megan is in her first special outfit fighting smooze  :pout: I’m afraid what more they added. And Surprise narrating the story, I don’t see her saying supreme bummer and going “Like totally lame!”  >_< Now I’m hoping those are the only instances but I’m fearing the worst  :cry:  kinda makes her sound ‘valley girl’? UGH!!

I don’t know anymore…   

Still haven't read it, but...

Spoiler
While I'd sort of get it, if it is what I said it was before (i.e. Mane Six meets Concept Six rather than G4 meets G1, although it seems like it's supposed to be the latter and then some) I do agree that it's a shame if the G1s that were the Concept Six sound like their G4 "counter parts" (unless I misunderstood that part) - if that's what they chose to do, then fine, but when I use those characters, they aren't going to act like the Mane Six - they don't need to act like them, I have the Mane Six for that, and they aren't the Concept Six in what I'm writing, they are G1 characters (or references to them) - the closest they get to being the Concept Six is that they are going to team up in at least one episode, but that's more of a shout out to the Concept Six than anything.

As for Surprise... yeah, she isn't the pony I would have imagined with Valley Girl speak... I could do my usual thing, and just say that this is a "this" Surprise thing, but if the point is to bring G1s and G3s over then, it makes more sense for them to act in someway that is closer to how they did there?  Interpretations aside...?

(I'm trying my hardest not to sound a hypocrite with my project, since there will be creative licence with all generations I use...)

Also... I actually do find Tales making sense as part of the FiM world, no offense, but I always felt like they were easy to imagine in Equestria... all pre-G4s are in my mind, but I always felt Tales fit in relatively easily - I know they have cars and that, but I always felt that was easy to overlook if you were putting them in a G4 (or even a G3, G3.5 or earlier G1, and probably even a G2) world, so they wouldn't be aware of cars etc. unless the story was that they'd litterally gone from their own world to the other one.

That said, I think I have a different look toward Tales, like I've seen people essentially say that the show isn't "My Little Pony" enough, and that you could make them any other animal (including humans) and nothing would change, and there's not enough fantasy to it (I think that's been said), but I never felt that... it is very  MLP to me, and I can see the fantasy potential in it.

Also... I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that ponies walking a rainbow was a G1 thing, or another pre-G4 thing?  Like I feel that it may be a comic book or a backcard story?  I'm not sure, but it feels more pre-G4 than G4, even with the whole "Pegasi can live in clouds" thing...

Maybe it's because Firefly and Medley slid down a rainbow in the first episode/special?  I just feel that walking on rainbows has been done before...

(Just Realized: I may be thinking of "Best Friends Until the End of Time", which was a G4 thing, but I might not be...)

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2022, 12:47:08 PM »

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don’t know anymore…   

Spoiler
While I'd sort of get it, if it is what I said it was before (i.e. Mane Six meets Concept Six rather than G4 meets G1, although it seems like it's supposed to be the latter and then some) I do agree that it's a shame if the G1s that were the Concept Six sound like their G4 "counter parts" (unless I misunderstood that part) - if that's what they chose to do, then fine, but when I use those characters, they aren't going to act like the Mane Six - they don't need to act like them, I have the Mane Six for that, and they aren't the Concept Six in what I'm writing, they are G1 characters (or references to them) - the closest they get to being the Concept Six is that they are going to team up in at least one episode, but that's more of a shout out to the Concept Six than anything.

As for Surprise... yeah, she isn't the pony I would have imagined with Valley Girl speak... I could do my usual thing, and just say that this is a "this" Surprise thing, but if the point is to bring G1s and G3s over then, it makes more sense for them to act in someway that is closer to how they did there?  Interpretations aside...?

(I'm trying my hardest not to sound a hypocrite with my project, since there will be creative licence with all generations I use...)

Also... I actually do find Tales making sense as part of the FiM world, no offense, but I always felt like they were easy to imagine in Equestria... all pre-G4s are in my mind, but I always felt Tales fit in relatively easily - I know they have cars and that, but I always felt that was easy to overlook if you were putting them in a G4 (or even a G3, G3.5 or earlier G1, and probably even a G2) world, so they wouldn't be aware of cars etc. unless the story was that they'd litterally gone from their own world to the other one.

That said, I think I have a different look toward Tales, like I've seen people essentially say that the show isn't "My Little Pony" enough, and that you could make them any other animal (including humans) and nothing would change, and there's not enough fantasy to it (I think that's been said), but I never felt that... it is very  MLP to me, and I can see the fantasy potential in it.

Also... I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that ponies walking a rainbow was a G1 thing, or another pre-G4 thing?  Like I feel that it may be a comic book or a backcard story?  I'm not sure, but it feels more pre-G4 than G4, even with the whole "Pegasi can live in clouds" thing...

Maybe it's because Firefly and Medley slid down a rainbow in the first episode/special?  I just feel that walking on rainbows has been done before...

(Just Realized: I may be thinking of "Best Friends Until the End of Time", which was a G4 thing, but I might not be...)

NOOO!! Ugh lost my long reply and got to do it all over  :cry:

Spoiler
Let’s try this again…

But first, the dialogue they already have Galaxy saying just feels G4 because they made her say “everypony”….anyway.

I forgot to say my reasoning of being annoyed with the rainbow stuff. If it was only Pegasi and flutter ponies on it then the rainbow walking I could understand cause the flutter ponies did on that fake rainbow and Surprise on the frozen rainbow and now realizing I forgot about firefly and medley.  Flying types.

BUT  :shocked: thinking about it now I’d understand if it’s THE Rainbow of Light they are all walking on. Then I’d be ok with it  :blush:

I love Tales, just at the time I saw it, Bonbon/Tales was the furthest ponies I’d see being used in the comic. But now thinking on it, Patch seems the one they should have used but reading Carrehz post, it’s probably why they used Bonbon in the first place  -_- there’s a moment pinkie pie brings up aliens and bonbon says she loves aliens….I feel that’s Patch not Bonbon, I don’t think Bonbon has ever mentioned aliens??

……

As of the possible start of this issue? they don’t interact with their counterparts, so far only Surprise shows up and “surprises!” her way into taking over North Star’s recounting the Witches story to Twilight and Co.  at which that’s the end of the preview. So I’m thinking Surprise might finish the tale? They don’t even bother twinkle eyeing Galaxy, they only add a star in her eye.

Oh boy, can’t wait until the 26th to be even more annoyed and unimpressed!  :|  :shrug: :what:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2022, 01:14:12 PM »
Spoiler
Oh yeah, fair point on the rainbow walking. No, I agree, it should only be flying types doing stuff like that.

It really annoys me they're not giving Galaxy her twinkle eyes. I was hoping that was just an error in the last issue, but I guess not :( Like I said, I can put up with it in all the new retro merch since that's just stock lineart with different symbols, colours etc added in and I don't expect everyone who gets a hold of the license, to do stuff like that... But there's really no excuse for her not to have TEs here. :( Might seem overly nitpicky but it's kinda the TEs' defining feature...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2022, 07:15:48 PM »

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don’t know anymore…   

Spoiler

NOOO!! Ugh lost my long reply and got to do it all over  :cry:

Spoiler
Let’s try this again…

But first, the dialogue they already have Galaxy saying just feels G4 because they made her say “everypony”….anyway.

I forgot to say my reasoning of being annoyed with the rainbow stuff. If it was only Pegasi and flutter ponies on it then the rainbow walking I could understand cause the flutter ponies did on that fake rainbow and Surprise on the frozen rainbow and now realizing I forgot about firefly and medley.  Flying types.

BUT  :shocked: thinking about it now I’d understand if it’s THE Rainbow of Light they are all walking on. Then I’d be ok with it  :blush:

I love Tales, just at the time I saw it, Bonbon/Tales was the furthest ponies I’d see being used in the comic. But now thinking on it, Patch seems the one they should have used but reading Carrehz post, it’s probably why they used Bonbon in the first place  -_- there’s a moment pinkie pie brings up aliens and bonbon says she loves aliens….I feel that’s Patch not Bonbon, I don’t think Bonbon has ever mentioned aliens??

……

As of the possible start of this issue? they don’t interact with their counterparts, so far only Surprise shows up and “surprises!” her way into taking over North Star’s recounting the Witches story to Twilight and Co.  at which that’s the end of the preview. So I’m thinking Surprise might finish the tale? They don’t even bother twinkle eyeing Galaxy, they only add a star in her eye.

Oh boy, can’t wait until the 26th to be even more annoyed and unimpressed!  :|  :shrug: :what:

Well, at least they haven't let you down in that regard.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal