collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How Much Hair??  (Read 934 times)

Offline fromoutoftheunexpected

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
  • furby fanatic
    • View Profile
How Much Hair??
« on: June 12, 2021, 06:48:14 AM »
I have found some bait ponies at my local opshop and want to get into customising (or restoring). There are a few g3s and g4 as wells as some fakies. How much hair do I need to buy to rehair them? (i know that it is different for the different sizes) I am in australia an will most likely be buying nylon from CustomDollHairAu. Please also tell me if you know of any other reliable places to buy hair from.
duckling • they/he • tumblryoutube

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: How Much Hair??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:07:51 AM »
I cannot speak for that particular seller, but usually one hank is enough for a G4. I would get two hanks for G3 and up if it's all one color just to be safe.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline fromoutoftheunexpected

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
  • furby fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »
I cannot speak for that particular seller, but usually one hank is enough for a G4. I would get two hanks for G3 and up if it's all one color just to be safe.
Thanks, for the hanks you are referring to, how long are they, and how much do they weigh? I don't know what the standard hank size would be?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:47:06 PM by fromoutoftheunexpected »
duckling • they/he • tumblryoutube

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 02:33:41 AM »
That will probably depend on the seller. Hanks intended for dolls may give you more hair than those intended for MLP specificall. It's probably a good idea to ask the seller if the website doesn't have info on their hank sizes. :)

The Dollyhair hanks I used to buy years ago were 38'' (not sure about the weight, sorry). Their MLP hanks were different from their doll hanks, however. The amount of hair was supposed to be enough for a G1 pony with normal length hair (short mane like the early year ponies used to have). But managing with just one hank would require you to know how to cut it and not waste any of it, so I second TLTR, it's generally better to get two hanks if you're rehairing a G3 or G1 pony, or if you want to give them longer manes and tails compared to the originals.

For my G1 and G3 customs, I usually cut the 38'' hank in half. This will give the ponies manes and tails of about 8'' after trimming the uneven ends. If you want shorter hair, you can cut the hank in thirds.

For G4, and baby ponies of any generation, cutting first in half and then again will do, although it's a bit tricky to rehair with hair this short.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 06:06:03 AM »
The HQG1C hanks are similar in that regard. Best to get two for a whole G1 or G3. Since I'm working on three different colours I can manage... ;)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 01:26:54 AM »
As I have answered your question in another thread yet:

The amount of hair clearly depends on different factors:

- the planned length of your ponies' mane and tail

- the amount you get from the seller you like to order from

- the amount of mane plugs and the size of the tail hole

- your rehairing experience i.e. "beginner" vs. "advanced" (i.e. how you cut the hair, how much hair you use for each mane plug, etc.)

- the plastic status of your pony (soft plastic ponies can be rehaired easier than hard plastic ponies, where it's possible to loose some hair)

You might want to check out this thread for any information about further hair suppliers http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401611.0.html.

I have no experiences in G4 ponies but if you want to rehair a regular G3 pony with its regular length, then 1 hank of any doll hair supplier should work. For these ponies, I cut a 38" length hank in quarter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal