collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Colour theory!  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Colour theory!
« on: June 04, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »
I wrote myself a tutorial - what do you think?

Describing Colour

Hue and temperature   
Hue is the easiest colour scale to grasp – it tells us where we are on the rainbow:

Red - Orange - Yellow - Green - Blue - Purple

I have noticed that on a computer we tend to be given a scale that looks more like:

Red - Magenta - Purple - Blue - Cyan - Green - Yellow - Orange

This is more useful for My Little Pony because a lot of magenta (i.e. pink) and cyan (i.e. turquoise) are used. Because I don’t want to be the ‘the witch who banished pink’ I propose:

Pink - Red - Orange - Yellow - Green - Cyan - Blue - Purple

Colours pink, red, orange and yellow are considered warm colours and green, cyan, blue and purple are considered cool colours. This can be described as the temperature of the colour. Red can therefore be either a cool red (with more purple) or a warm red (with more orange). Similarly, green can be a warm or a cool green.

How the eye recognizes color temperature can change according to the source of light, so for comparison between two objects they need to be placed in the same photograph. Saturation and value can also appear differently according to the source of light…

The colour wheel and opposite colours
Opposite colours are found on each side of a colour wheel. For example, purple and yellow, red and green, orange and blue.

https://custommemoryquilt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/color-wheel.jpg

This colour wheel has 12 colours and can be divided up using the 6 colours from the original rainbow. I’ve added the extra colour-words we added too:

Red - Red-orange - Orange - Orange-yellow - Yellow - Yellow-green - Green - Cyan (Green-blue) - Blue - Blue-purple - Purple - Pink (purple-red or Magenta)

These words now divide the rainbow into in equal portions.

My only reservation for this system is that in the picture above, blue-purple looks more like a purple shade of blue than a blue shade of purple. Why that colour doesn’t quite work for me I’m not sure. Apparently we all see colour differently.

Saturation

Saturation is also known as the degree of intensity or purity of a hue. Imagine mixing paints; adding grey reduces the intensity of a colour. Adding white creates tints and adding black creates shades. Saturation is also known as the chroma, which you can imagine as the proportion of colour pigment left in the mixture.

The saturation of colours can be described from vivid i.e. very strong to dull i.e. very weak. For example:

Very vivid - Vivid - Medium - Dull - Very dull

To add to this story, in the 1980s, new dyes were marketed that produce very distinctive fluorescent colours, known in the UK as ‘luminous’ or in the USA as ‘neon’. Neon is shorter!

Value
The value is the relative lightness or darkness of a colour. Imagine a monochrome photograph in black or sepia; the amount of light reflecting off a surface creates the value in the photograph. The value of a colour is also known as the tone when describing colours.

Here are some words to make a scale for the value of colour:

Very light - Light - Medium - Dark - Very dark

Combining terms

A dull, light red-orange could be what we often think of as 'coral'. What we think of as ‘hot pink’ could be described as medium, very vivid pink, or luminous pink could be medium neon pink. ‘Fuchsia’ could be described as vivid, very dark pink… I know, I know ‘fuchsia’ is much shorter and easier to remember! What can I say? Practice makes perfect.

Using the colour picker in Microsoft Office applications
This is a good way to understand hue, saturation and value. First, you pick the hue or rainbow colour using the sliding scale. Pink and cyan are helpfully included in this scale. Then, you can see in the box to the left there are colour options for the saturation (low or grey at left and high at the right hand side) and the value (light at the top to dark at the bottom).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:30:10 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: Colour theory!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 09:06:47 AM »
Wow, this is amazing! It's really helpful and you must have put a lot of work into it. Great job.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
Thanks. Its quite helpful.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
Thanks both. I already spotted a flaw though, if I told you a pink was a 'very pale, dark pink' would you find that confusing? I tried using the word dull instead of pale but it didn't sound right. I guess 'very dull, dark pink' makes more sense?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 11:55:28 AM »
Thanks both. I already spotted a flaw though, if I told you a pink was a 'very pale, dark pink' would you find that confusing? I tried using the word dull instead of pale but it didn't sound right. I guess 'very dull, dark pink' makes more sense?

Yes it does. I would probably think of dusty rose or rose quartz pink. Similar to the stripes on G3 Tea Leaf, or G1 Dipper.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:57:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »
This is interesting! I didn't know that neon colors didn't exist prior to the 1980's. I mean, I know they weren't prevalently used, but I didn't know they were actually new!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 03:05:32 PM »
This is interesting! I didn't know that neon colors didn't exist prior to the 1980's. I mean, I know they weren't prevalently used, but I didn't know they were actually new!

I didn't know that either.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »

Yes it does. I would probably think of dusty rose or rose quartz pink. Similar to the stripes on G3 Tea Leaf, or G1 Dipper.

Thank you I changed it! I think it makes more sense now.

I didn't know that either.

I found this article just now if anyone fancies: https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/neon-colors-history-design

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
Popping in to say.. neon colors were not invented in the 1980s...

Dayglo was one of the first companies to do fluorescent pigments, and that company was established in the 1940s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-Glo_Color_Corp.  But I do believe it could be something earlier than that.

I feel like it's pretty hard to get people to talk about color in the same way. I work with color, and I work with people who know color.. and we still talk about it a bit differently.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 06:18:40 AM »
Yep I agree, the article has some interesting information in it about printing etc. But they did become widely marketed in the 1980s.

Hopefully this system works for my inventory anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal