collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Trivial Complaints Thread... number 2!  (Read 76326 times)

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: The Trivial Complaints Thread... number 2!
« Reply #825 on: January 11, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »
@Taffeta i would have made a water trade if it didn't live thousands of miles away. i pretty much only drink sparkling water and have a stash of emergency bottled water.

i'm still tired today. at least next week is going to be a 4 day week. i want to plan another trip home but the thought of driving for 3 hours is tiring.

Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 11, 2022, 12:47:21 PM »
My little 7 pound maltipoo got attacked by a loose Rottweiler last night. I debated on making a WYP thread, but thankfully it seems like the dogs teeth only ripped my dogs skin and he will be okay, so I don’t think a whole thread is warranted.

The owners of the other dog truthfully were very nice and did everything right. They tackled their dog to the ground within seconds (although it felt so much longer in the moment!) and offered to pay for all of our vet expenses. I still feel the dog should have been leashed, but I guess what happened was it was getting out of their car, saw my dog from across the street, and charged. They said she’s never done anything like it, so I guess we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If anything I’m more horrified at my own inaction. I was so paralyzed with fear that I couldn’t even scream or yell for help. :cry: If the owners of the other dog hadn’t been right there I don’t know what would have happened. That dog had picked my dog up and was starting to swing him like a chew toy, it was honestly traumatic. I keep going back over it in my mind like, what if I had been just a little quicker and had managed to pick my dog up? If I hadn’t been wearing headphones, could I have prevented this? What if my dog had been wearing his sweater, would that have prevented the bite markers from going as deep? I just feel like I could have done more somehow.

My dog has some stitches on the wounds now and I guess some sort of drainage tube on one bite mark? But it seems like it he should make a full recovery. I’m just scared to walk him again now. This isn’t the first time he’s been charged. A lot of folks around here seem to think the world is their dog park and they let their dogs run off leash. It’s really frustrating.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 12, 2022, 05:06:36 AM »
My little 7 pound maltipoo got attacked by a loose Rottweiler last night. I debated on making a WYP thread, but thankfully it seems like the dogs teeth only ripped my dogs skin and he will be okay, so I don’t think a whole thread is warranted.

The owners of the other dog truthfully were very nice and did everything right. They tackled their dog to the ground within seconds (although it felt so much longer in the moment!) and offered to pay for all of our vet expenses. I still feel the dog should have been leashed, but I guess what happened was it was getting out of their car, saw my dog from across the street, and charged. They said she’s never done anything like it, so I guess we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If anything I’m more horrified at my own inaction. I was so paralyzed with fear that I couldn’t even scream or yell for help. :cry: If the owners of the other dog hadn’t been right there I don’t know what would have happened. That dog had picked my dog up and was starting to swing him like a chew toy, it was honestly traumatic. I keep going back over it in my mind like, what if I had been just a little quicker and had managed to pick my dog up? If I hadn’t been wearing headphones, could I have prevented this? What if my dog had been wearing his sweater, would that have prevented the bite markers from going as deep? I just feel like I could have done more somehow.

My dog has some stitches on the wounds now and I guess some sort of drainage tube on one bite mark? But it seems like it he should make a full recovery. I’m just scared to walk him again now. This isn’t the first time he’s been charged. A lot of folks around here seem to think the world is their dog park and they let their dogs run off leash. It’s really frustrating.
Not surprised you were so scared xxx  :shocked: :cry:
Here's hoping your dog does indeed recover well, & thank heavens the owners of the other dog were so quick to act & so responsible xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #828 on: January 12, 2022, 05:52:32 AM »
MintyMagic, I know exactly how you feel! My mini schnauzer was charged by a pitbull and just like you I was paralyzed and couldn't think. I ended up lifting my dog by his harness and swinging him out of the way of the other dog. The owner (a neighbor at the time) was right behind her dog and got control of him quickly, but it seemed like it went on forever, even now remembering it.

I'm glad your dog is going to be okay. It's frustrating when people don't believe their dogs are capable of harming anything, when some breeds were originally bred for just that purpose. But it's nice to know the owners offered to help you pay the vet and everything.

--

My mom keeps asking me to come over. It's not that I don't want to, I just have things I need to do. Today and tomorrow I have appointments in the afternoon. Then on the 18th and 28th our apartments are being inspected, and I need to finish cleaning and break down some boxes. Cleaning takes me a while because I need to take frequent breaks due to my back and legs. I have to sit when I vacuum or mop and do small areas at a time. When I explain this my mom starts putting down my place, saying "that's ridiculous I wouldn't put up with that" about the inspections, and I'm like, it's public housing, you have to "put up" with it or they'll kick you out. Then she says I can always come back home. I don't tell her this, but I would hate to move back. I like that it's just me and my cat. Besides, I waited four years for this apartment. I don't mind the way they run things. Inspections like this are only once a year anyway. My mom will say things like I don't love her or I'll be sorry when she's dead that I didn't spend more time with her. But the truth is, she just wants someone to boss around and wait on her. That's the main reason I'd hate to go back, I'm not a butler.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 12, 2022, 07:47:34 AM »

That is super frustrating and scary!  Similar thing happened to my dog years ago when we lived in England, only with an intact male Akita that "slipped its lead" (the owners showed up LATER, and gave me a fake name and address so I could never get them to pay the vet bill :mad:).  I do re-live it over and over in my head even to this day, thinking what else I could have done, but it HAS faded with time.  I guess I can't offer much comfort other than to say hopefully your dog was less traumatized than you were.  My dog was, which was a huge relief - dogs can be quite resilient!  Hope your boy heals up well and can enjoy going on walks again.  I'm at least relieved to hear the owners did take responsibility.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 07:53:08 AM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #830 on: January 12, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
Of all the reasons I dislike dogs, most of them relate to the behaviour or training inadequacy of the owner or their lack of consideration for other people.

I'm sorry that happened.

I am firmly of the opinion dogs should not be allowed in any public spaces except on leads. And then only if the owner is properly trained. I very strongly dislike the way in which people assume dogs are loved by everyone and so can be left to behave as they wish, as though the whole world were their back garden. Unfortunately incidents like the above happen in those circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:01:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #831 on: January 13, 2022, 12:48:27 AM »
Minty Magic, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! That sounds absolutely terrifying. The more aggressive breeds like Rottweilers and German Shepherds should always be leashed when in public. When she was very little, my little sister was nearly attacked by a careless owner's dog at the park. I love dogs, but people often underestimate just how dangerous they can be.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 13, 2022, 03:19:34 PM »
@Minty_Magic i'm glad you and your dog are ok. i hope he heals quickly. the owners really should have had the dog leashed before it got out of the car. they're all sweet dogs until something goes wrong. some dogs have really strong prey instincts and will chase anything that moves. my dog is like that. she'll bark at me if i run or walk fast through the house. she's the sweetest but she's still strong and fast. leash laws exist for a reason. it's the owner's job to keep their dog out of bad situations.

even our sheltie had quite a bite and they don't have much of a reputation for biting. when he got older and had arthritis i had to muzzle him to give bathe him or brush him because he didn't like that and would snap.

my little chi-pom almost got attacked once by a pitbull whose owner had let their little daughter hold its leash. i'm sorry a little kid cannot hold a big dog back. luckily the owner was able to get control of it before something bad happened.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 13, 2022, 10:58:27 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words ad encouragement! I do think folks can underestimate how dangerous dogs can be. Of course they trust and love you their owner, but they can still be easily spooked by other things, they are animals after all! I also I agree it’s primarily up to the owners to take responsibility. I’ve always primarily owned little dogs because I know I wouldn’t have control over a big dog. We’ve been working really hard with this current dog to get him trained (he’s a rescue) and his trainer says he never sees dogs his size get proper training. :lol: It’s funny, but it’s also sad because little dogs can be aggressive and cause damage too!

It seems like he’s starting to perk up a little! He’s been eating well and even though he doesn’t walk much, he does walk around pretty well when we bring him to the backyard to go potty, so it seems like once the stitches come out he should be back to normal! :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 14, 2022, 07:19:05 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words ad encouragement! I do think folks can underestimate how dangerous dogs can be. Of course they trust and love you their owner, but they can still be easily spooked by other things, they are animals after all! I also I agree it’s primarily up to the owners to take responsibility. I’ve always primarily owned little dogs because I know I wouldn’t have control over a big dog. We’ve been working really hard with this current dog to get him trained (he’s a rescue) and his trainer says he never sees dogs his size get proper training. :lol: It’s funny, but it’s also sad because little dogs can be aggressive and cause damage too!

It seems like he’s starting to perk up a little! He’s been eating well and even though he doesn’t walk much, he does walk around pretty well when we bring him to the backyard to go potty, so it seems like once the stitches come out he should be back to normal! :)

It's good that you're training your dog.  I don't care for small dogs because they are so aggressive, even if people think their small size means they're not.  Yorkies are tiny but are actually very good guard dogs.  I have always had mid-sized dogs, until we got our current dog.  He's a malamute mix.  While we've made sure to have him around other people/animals so he doesn't react out of fear, he is still protective of us, it just doesn't appear aggressive.  For example, if I'm talking to someone he doesn't know, he'll stand between me and the other person until he sizes them up and decides to trust them.  He doesn't growl or anything, but he's right there and I'm pretty sure he would do something (growl/bark at least) if the other person displayed any aggression towards me.  But when he's around people he knows he's a big snuggly baby and demands attention.  He will literally crawl into your lap if you're not paying enough attention to him.  (He'll also push you off the couch by gradually nosing behind you if he wants your spot.)  He's also very smart and will listen when I tell him to do something.  For example, I told him I was going to get the mail and he could come if he stayed with me.  He ran ahead of me to the mailbox, sat down and waited for me and then ran back to the house after I closed the mailbox.  We live in a rural area so I didn't need to leash him to go to the mailbox.  So larger dogs can be trained but I also don't take him in public/ new spaces without a lead.

Today's trivial complaint is that we have 6 extra people and 2 extra dogs at my house right now which means it's really hard for me to find time/space to create, write, or relax without someone wondering if I'm mad about something.  I'm not mad, I'm an introvert and need some time alone, especially after working all day.

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 14, 2022, 08:31:37 AM »
yeah my little dog, Chloe isn't really aggressive but she's fearless compared to our large dog (Jesse). she'll bark at way bigger dogs, bugs, owls. but Chloe also trained Jesse on how to play gently. we adopted them at the same time and Jesse was about 7 months old and Chloe was around 2. Jesse had a lot of puppy energy and wasn't well socialized. when they would play and Jesse would get too rough Chloe would bark and gently grab Jesse's face with her mouth. Just enough to send a message but not aggressive. Now Jesse will play with Chloe but doesn't get rough with her. now Chloe only gets upset if she thinks Jesse is going to sit on her. Jesse is definitely a big baby compared to Chloe. It's interesting to watch their dynamic. Also Chloe rarely met a person she didn't like. But Jesse is very skeptical of new people.

My complaint today is that i spilled water on myself when i woke up this morning. When i went to turn off my alarm i knocked my water off the nightstand and onto myself and my pillow. not a great start for the day.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #836 on: January 14, 2022, 10:13:02 AM »
The thing I most want from dog owners is that recognition that people can dislike dogs, and be afraid of them, and so being aware of other people's personal space and comfort is as important when taking the dog out and about as their own. And just because I dislike dogs doesn't mean I want to see one hurt - it always worries me when they let them off leash on roads and train platforms that something bad will befall the animal due to their owner's lack of care.

The patronising way these owners smirk and say 'they won't hurt you' is also not appreciated. It's not a matter of that. They can be friendly as they like, but I don't want them near me because that itself is what frightens me. Them pushing themselves into my space uninvited and unpredictable. I had enough of that as a kid with dogs belonging to friends...I literally knew maybe 2 dogs in my whole life that I wasn't afraid of, and they were never the kind to jump up, chase, or push themselves into space uninvited.

...In essence, there are too many inconsiderate dog owners. I don't know if the UK is a nation of dog lovers. The RSPCA would probably beg to differ on numerous counts. But it's definitely a nation of people who let their dogs do what they like and I hate it. Friendly dogs are as terrifying as aggressive dogs if you are afraid of dogs. And I just wish people would realise it, leash their animals when in public, hold them back when they want to interact with a stranger, and not just smirk and act like it's normal and even awesome when their dog runs across to greet me.

None of this is aimed at anyone here, just my experience of dogwalkers locally. If I wanted a dog in my personal space I'd own one.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 14, 2022, 01:16:08 PM »
Minty Magic I'm so sorry that happened to you and your dog.  :hug:  I'm glad he's doing okay.

One of our neighbors lets her dogs run loose in the neighborhood a lot to do their business.  She always says the dogs won't hurt us and they're supposed to stay in the yard, but the dogs often run up and down the block either chasing us when my mom and I walk down the sidewalk or weaving in out of the street.  The bigger dog has tried to jump up to reach my hand a few times.  The smaller one also almost made my mom fall down once because the dog was running around her feet while she was trying to walk.

Today's a rough day for me.  I'm really emotional and sad.  It's been a bit of a stressful week at work combined with me not feeling my best. I was exhausted by the time I got home yesterday.  I was hoping that I would be able to work today but even though I slept I didn't feel well this morning.  I also had an asthma attack. 

I love my parents, but my dad keeps saying stuff to me/about me like "If you had a better job you wouldn't be sick with your asthma so much."  I'm not completely happy in my current job but it's not my fault that I have respiratory issues. :(   I try my best to not let my asthma interfere with my life but sometimes it happens.

Also, my dad got a new phone today and it took quite a while for the store to get it working so my parents went back to get it.  As soon as they got home my mom was telling me that it wasn't working and that I needed to fix it.  It is working but it is taking a while to download his apps and stuff on the new phone.

The bookstore put new titles out too early again. :(  I don't want to get anyone in trouble but I'm getting tired of seeing books out before their release date on the shelves and having to make extra trips back to buy the book that I saw in the store days earlier because someone isn't paying attention when they stock the shelves. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:21:43 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #838 on: January 14, 2022, 03:08:31 PM »
My downstairs neighbor lets her little dog out off leash. He's pooped on my stairs twice. He also constantly barks when she isn't home. I like dogs, but I agree with Taffeta about them and personal space. My nieces two dogs are big and one isn't well trained at all. He barks and growls, jumps up on people and he isn't entirely housebroken. He's the one that's knocked my dad down three times, the last of which my dad got a nasty gash on his head from. The other dog is much better and I don't mind her so much, but she still tries to lick your face and I didn't even like when my own dogs did that.

I'm very much a cat, rodent and fish person.

--

My complaint is my mom again. I spent the day at my parent's place watching movies with my mom. She was asking me about some stuff and when I answered she started making fun of me. I told her she wasn't being nice and to stop laughing at me. She said she was "just teasing" but to me teasing is the same as being made fun of and they're both mean. Then she said I was "being ridiculous" and got mad. Of course, I was the one who ended up apologizing as always.

I miss being able to talk about my parents with my sister.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 14, 2022, 04:01:03 PM »
@Taffeta i've had dogs for years and i don't want a strange dog running up to me. i feel like someone just letting their dog run up to strangers is definitely an invasion of your personal space. and you shouldn't have to explain yourself.

personally when i walk my dogs i don't really want strangers coming up to me either. TBH i don't want strangers coming up to me at all.

when we lived behind a park we didn't have a backyard so we had to walk our dogs in the park area. and some people would just walk up with their dogs because they wanted to let their dogs play with mine. it's fine if they ask but to just assume its ok is pretty rude. and i didn't like when people let their kids walk up to our dogs. my little dog loves kids but my bigger dog is skeptical of new people and i didn't want any trouble. usually either my partner or me would just take the bigger dog back to the house. and some kids don't know how to behave around dogs. also some dogs are afraid of people they don't know. when we had our sheltie people would want to pet him because he was adorable. and he would hide behind me which people also thought was cute. but he was terrified :(

there should be more agreed upon dog etiquette. just give people and dogs their space unless you ask.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal