collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Trivial Complaints Thread... number 2!  (Read 75543 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: The Trivial Complaints Thread... number 2!
« Reply #465 on: October 03, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »
Thanks, Ponyfan :hug:

I slept most of the day and feel worse. The whole left side of my head hurts. My neck hurts on both sides, I can hardly turn my head. I tried to feel for lumps like swollen lymph nodes or something but can't feel anything. My ear is really bothering me bad. I had ice on it and my jaw earlier. I'm going back to bed and try heat.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 03, 2021, 06:27:45 PM »
I had to spend a large portion of my day today looking for the soprano recorder for my kid's upcoming music class.  She had used it far too much when she was a little younger and I took it away, and hid it, because ughhhhhhh TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!   Nope.  Unbearable. 
But now I have to hear it again. 

And I had to figure out where I hid it, so it took almost 2 hours of moving and sorting and checking hiding spots to find it. 
There went my "lazy" Sunday.  Oh wait I also had to do the laundry, make more crabapple fruit snacks, and feed the child, so it wasn't really a lazy day.  Oooooof. 

Good things!  I made banana cinnamon bread , drank some tea.  Worked on my crazy quilt squares project.  Motivated the child to sweep the hallway!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #467 on: October 04, 2021, 07:19:03 AM »
Thanks, Ponyfan :hug:

I slept most of the day and feel worse. The whole left side of my head hurts. My neck hurts on both sides, I can hardly turn my head. I tried to feel for lumps like swollen lymph nodes or something but can't feel anything. My ear is really bothering me bad. I had ice on it and my jaw earlier. I'm going back to bed and try heat.

Is there any chance it could be a tooth infection..?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #468 on: October 04, 2021, 07:33:42 AM »
It very well could be. The same tooth I've always had problems with was hurting the other day. It's got two big cavities in it (that can be seen) and it's given me pain troubles for years. I haven't been to a dentist in 20+ years due to the implant in my head. I was told that dental work can be dangerous and lead to an infection in the implant and my brain. Of course, I suppose any infection in my mouth could do that. But in over 20 years, nothing has happened so... who knows!

I feel a bit better today. I think the heat treatment did a lot more good than ice. My ear feels sore rather than the throbbing, itchy pain it was before. My throat feels better too.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 04, 2021, 08:27:49 AM »
My friend invited me to sell stuff at a craft sale with her again.  I am going to do it but I don't expect to sell much (if anything) because the audience might not be right for my crafts.  (If someone is looking for a "Welcome" sign in Dutch, they're not going to spend money on a fandom inspired art piece.)  And the last time I did a sale with her one of the other vendors (who had outrageously priced "found" wood pieces that she had painted "Welcome" on in cheap paint) told me that I would sell more if I put "Salt Lake City, UT" on my stuff because then it would be a "collectable".  I am not destroying my designs with a tacky city name.  If people want that they can actually GO to Salt Lake (I am not from there and wasn't selling there at the time, either) and get a cheap, overpriced souvenir at the mall or airport.

My mom said that maybe I need to adjust my prices to the audience.  So instead of pricing my work based on the value of my skill and time I should price it like a garage sale and lose money just because I'm surrounded by people who aren't interested in my art style?  I hate how people devalue artists and their work.  :rant:

If you want a crappy piece of mass produced garbage, go to Walmart.  If you want a one-of-a-kind art piece that nobody else will ever create (and I will likely never create again as I do not tend to reproduce my own work) then you pay the asking price.  My prices are not unreasonable and cheaper than Etsy so I'm not going to change them.  And if you think you can do a better job than me, go ahead.  I'm not stopping you.

Yes 100%. Be firm on your prices.

I was.  I only made $30 but the people who bought things were genuinely excited about having them so I know they weren't pity purchases.  I talked to my friend about my prices and her mom thinks I should double them.  We also talked about looking for specific venues for my items (like a PonyCon or Comic Con somewhere) because the right audience makes a big difference.  So I might be looking at doing something like that in the future. 

My trivial complaint is a coworker.  She's going in for surgery (again) tomorrow and I'm glad she'll be gone for at least 2 weeks because then I will be able to eat my own food, drink my own water, and not have to drop everything to grant her every whim. (I've had to lie to her about being out of food/water when she asks me for it because I'm so fed up with being her food source--especially when she eats out every day, she just "doesn't like to go to the grocery store.")   I'm not her mother but I think I'd be treated better if I was. She's not a manager, but she was just promoted to an assistant librarian (probably because the director found her bankruptcy [2nd one in 7 years] paperwork on the printer) and she always has a pity story.  I'm so over it.  She seriously asked me to go get her the vacuum this morning so that she could vacuum her office.  If she can't go get the vacuum how is she supposed to push it around her office?  I feel like a friggin house elf.  Dobby wants to be free!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2021, 11:09:52 AM »
omg Facebook is down :freak:

edit: I just escaped having my bank account overdrafted (is that the right word..?)

I had $18 and some cents. Patreon took its $10 and Hulu $6 and change. My dad put money in my account today :whew: That's the closest I've ever come to going over (under? uhh... whatever)

Every end of the month is like this. I try to keep enough to cover the auto payments for my streaming services and stuff, but I always worry it's not enough. I'm not very good at tracking my spending. I got in that habit when I had some savings always in my account for emergencies plus emergency cash. Now I have what's in my bank and 8 dollars in quarters.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:18:24 PM by BlackCurtains »

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #471 on: October 04, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
omg Facebook is down :freak:

that's why i feel relaxed and happy today!

Looks like it's back. TBH i'm surprised any of the internet works. and i build internet things to pay my bills I'm not incompetent, the internet is held together with duct tape, paperclips and tears.  :shocked:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:48:20 PM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 04, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
My food delivery arrived with the bag of tortilla rolls flattened between soda cans and one of the cardboard walls, and its contents scattered all over the inside :yikes: And because I'm pathetic, I obviously still ate most of it from the bottom of the box because I didn't want it to go to waste :redface:
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »
@Beth - sounds a bit like my website ;)

So my trivial complaint for today is not trivial, not really, but I still think it needs to be said.

There have been climate protests on and off in the UK lately, including the blocking of motorway access.

Today or yesterday there was an incident where these protesters actively blocked an ambulance from getting through to a hospital (although other drivers moved the protesters aside to let it through).

This is not an XR protest, but the head of XR has explicitly said that it's okay to block ambulances, even if the people inside die, because 'the bigger crime is the one against the planet'.

As far as I'm concerned, protesting is an important human right. I feel that really strongly. I've been in protests before, over student fees and the war in Iraq, years ago when I was an undergrad. I also think the environment is really important and we shouldn't ignore it.

But I also think protecting human life is important. The moment a person tries to stop an innocent person getting to hospital just because they happen to be in a petrol powered vehicle, with no thought to their safety or the feelings of their family, then they are no longer human.

The distinction between 'activist' and 'terrorist' is being willing to discard or harm human lives in the singleminded pursuit of a personal ideology. It's not about whether the cause they claim to represent is a just one. They're not representing it by behaving like that and they're damaging the cause for climate change awareness in the process.

We are not going to save the world by killing each other.

Blocking the motorway is creating tailbacks and more pollution anyway, not to mention all the chemicals they're throwing all over the place and using to glue themselves to things. If you really want to help nature, do something that actually helps nature.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:56:42 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »

Today or yesterday there was an incident where these protesters actively blocked an ambulance from getting through to a hospital (although other drivers moved the protesters aside to let it through).

This is not an XR protest, but the head of XR has explicitly said that it's okay to block ambulances, even if the people inside die, because 'the bigger crime is the one against the planet'.

I feel like that attitude justifies the ambulance drivers running them over. If they're not going to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle they can deal with the consequences and then wait for the next ambulance to make it through their protest to help them.  Then see how quick they are to move aside while the other motorists end up blocking the ambulance because of their "protest."

Once again the part timers are taking vacation hours and not covering their shifts.  So now I am covering the work of a full-time person out for surgery PLUS the part timers who don't think I do anything PLUS my own work and somehow I'm supposed to be thrilled about changing my hours to accommodate yet another useless wastrel.  But if I want to take time off I have to have my desk hours covered weeks in advance.  When I take my 320 vacation hours at once (and I may or may not do it when the building is supposed to be getting packed up) they are not allowed to complain.  :enraged:

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 05, 2021, 01:00:30 PM »

This is why I believe it should be made legal for ambulence drivers to run over anyone who deliberately and consciously blocks their path. :mad:
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 05, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
@Taffeta

i need to do some research about the XR protests. but yeah it's one thing to block commerce. which i support 100% and think is probably the best way to get change through protesting. (covid has really changed how i feel about economic issues). but let ambulances through. if you want electric ambulances that sounds like a local or corporate issue. don't punish individuals for living in a bad system.

if i'm remembering correctly in Oklahoma it's now legal to run over protesters who are blocking the way. which is terrible. i don't understand the exchanging one life for another, innocent lives... calculation that people try to make. i agree hurting or killing people to make your point will never win you support and. i just feel like the nuance gets lost in the anger and the yelling. but i feel like a naive person when i say we need to talk more. it feels like people do get so caught up in their ideology that they forget about people who are just trying to go about their lives and survive. and those are the people who need to be won over for change to happen.

environmental issues are frustrating to me because the changes that we can make as individuals just don't feel like much. i do think it can add up but it's really the large corporations who need to make changes. and that will happen when it becomes more profitable to do the right thing. and sometimes paying large fines, legal teams and lobbyists is cheaper than making actual change. i think some of these companies should just shut down. but that will never happen and if it did happen what about people who work there?

i feel guilty all the time for being part of a bad system but that doesn't add up to real change. i know i'm rambling but i'm also frustrated and sad. also i think it needs to be said that a lot of people who live in places with bad climate policy like Texas are unhappy with their leadership and want change. it isn't helpful when people act like we deserve bad things happening to us because of bad leadership. a lot of times the people who are harmed by bad leadership and bad companies are not the ones who make the decisions or have any power. it's very frustrating and demotivating. whenever people say oh call your congressman or senator i'm live do you know who my congressman and senators are? they'll never listen to me because i'm not part of the groups they care about.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 05, 2021, 03:09:55 PM »
I think the message is definitely we need to talk more, but also listen more. That goes for the protesters as well. They're not listening just as much as the people they are attacking and from whom they want change.

I don't think that running the protesters down is really a solution, it's two wrongs making a right. And I don't agree with them blocking commerce, either, because frankly, the people who get affected are the ones that are already struggling because of other factors (Brexit, Covid, people being idiots at the fuel pumps) and they just don't deserve another kick in the teeth. But that's from a British perspective, given this was a British protest - I can't and won't speak for the situation in other places.

I do believe we have a court order that means people can be thrown in jail for 2 years if they trespass on the motorway. Our home secretary - who in polite terms, is a cross between a rottweiler and a dragon - is working on legislation on that subject, but all that's doing is giving govt a reason to restrict protests, so it's also working against everyone who wants to legitimately and peacefully air their views in a logical and sensible place.

I feel like we need to fix climate change by actually focusing on how to fix climate change, not on trying to get good pictures for social media. Forgive my cynicism but back in 2019, in fact, right before my VIVA, XR shut down London. And they were going to do a protest on the tube, but TFL shut down the internet capabilities on the underground. And because they couldn't post it online, they desisted.

...They also shied away from an airport siege when they realised that anti-terror police at airports are armed with guns.

And of course they had guest speakers who flew in from the US to talk to the protesters about saving the environment. While they locked down London, increasing the level of diesel in the atmosphere, sprayed paint all over the roads (they said it would wash away quickly, it didn't, it took weeks, and it washed into the river anyway)...disrupted the capital's urban wildlife and prevented disabled and sick people from getting to appointments.

Meantime we have a thriving natural garden, we encourage wildlife, we recycle, we use energy saving everything, we don't overuse our water or our heating, and we don't run a car.

...I feel like if everyone did that, it would have a better effect than actually increasing pollution and putting people's lives at risk.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 05, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
yeah when people weren't driving during the lockdowns i was kind of like "this is what life should be". i think we just need slow down and stop doing so much.

i agree it gets so complicated with disrupting commerce because people who run huge corporations, at least in the US can get through without much harm because they have so much wealth. most people can't afford to stop working without some kind of help. especially since our healthcare is tied to full-time work. it's not that easy to just quit because you don't like what your company does. but it seems like change really only happens here when people just stop participating. like what's happening on a small scale with the labor shortages and strikes here. we just need to support each other and have more patience.

i've never been to a protest because i've always been pretty cynical about it. i don't think it leads to lasting change. companies just post and make merch about how they care and want change as they support backwards policies. and it feels performative to me. i don't have a following who cares what i think anyway. i vote and donate money but aside from that i don't know what else to do. i think about moving to another state but my parents are here. i also try not to support companies with business practices i don't like but i doubt amazon will miss my business. and some business are unavoidable because all of the options are terrible.

i do think more people are aware that climate change is a major problem which is good.  i think that since we're seeing the effects of climate change already it's being treated with more urgency instead of something that we can kick down the road. i'm also encouraged that a lot of European countries are working to stop gas cars from being sold. that seems to be having an effect on car manufacturing here. i've been yelling to anyone who is forced to listen to me (my partner and my parents mostly) that we need better mass transit. but like i said before that won't happen here so we need electric cars.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:03:41 PM by Beth3346 »

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 06, 2021, 07:19:25 AM »
It's October but it's supposed to be in the 90s the new few days.  :enraged:

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal