collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 349 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
I've had a stressful morning, plantwise. See trivial complaints for details, I won't bring this thread down with it here.

...Yesterday, though, I got my delphiniums in the garden (nervous for them give the fact they are slugprone but I've done my best), and also my corydalys, who should be flowering now but decided to get that annoyance over with between Feb and April instead and is now sitting like a lemon as though it doesn't know what to do with itself. But that's two more lots of plants off the patio and in their permanent homes.

The weather today has been erratic to say the least o.O.

My morning glories seem to be a lot too wet and they're not doing so well right now. Probably not helped by the downpour we just had, either.

I'm looking at Ben *hi ben* and wondering whether it's worth repotting him, although you'd need to get compost and things so maybe that's a lot of extra work. Whatever has eaten his leaf might have been long gone but it might be in his roots. When I planted out the delphiniums I had to remove about 10 baby slugs from their roots even though I check them pretty much daily :/

When I'm less cross, and it's less wet outside, I'll try and share some garden photos. In the meantime, this is the type of fuchsia that I have. It is not hardy to British winters, sadly, but it is a very pretty plant and it does do a lot of flowering.

https://fuchsiafinder.com/fuchsia/sabrina/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:44:47 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:11:20 PM »
Here is Ben. I'm worried about the stem that's turning brown/black. It has a cut/bite in it (not from me).

Hiii Ben! :D

BC - one thing you could try if you're worried about Ben's survival: cut off one or two of the strongest stems to propagate. I haven't had much luck keeping store-bought basil plants alive but propagating seems to be the best method. Works well for mint and lemon balm, too!

I don't have much of a green thumb, or maybe it's just that I lack the time and energy to take care of plants properly... Besides, there aren't too many species of house plants available that are not toxic to cats so we only have a couple of different ones, currently spider plants and spiderworts (Tradescantia). (What's with all the spiders? :P ) These are easy ones to take care of, even I can keep them alive. :lol:

I also buy some annual summer flowers every year, in addition to growing some herbs on the balcony. But it's usually a late start for me, I start thinking about these things in January/February but then March-April-May just fly by! This year I've been meaning to (!) sow basil seeds and  to buy some violets and I haven't managed either. I was also going to repot some of those house plants but... I guess it's not too late yet :lookround:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by Shiverdam, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 08:04:09 PM »
It looks like something is maybe eating Ben?  :huh: I second the advice to take cuttings now, from bits with stems still green. My basil plants are still tiny bt they now have secondary leaves and are starting to smell like basil. I have planted out a long list of vegetables this week, mostly under cage wire because we have a lot of pigeons:

Dwarf French beans, runner beans, mangetout, spring onions, green chard, spinach, mesclun, cherry tomatoes, salad tomatoes, courgette Piccolo. Only one pea plant germinated still I will find a branch for it to climb. I also have seedlings of sprouting broccoli, cabbages, two types of kale and some leeks to plant out later. I will grow more toms and two cayenne chili pepper plants in pots. OH hs put in our second early potatoes now. I put the first lot in two weeks ago.  A little late, but the weather was very dry so I can't see the harm in doing them now. Hopefully they get enough rain. I sowed winter squashes yesterday and I still have carrots and parsnips to sow, once I fill up my pipe planters. I was going to sow celeriac too but I think it's too late now. Also we ran out of space.

There is quite a lost of vegetables that my husband doesn't like and won't eat. Like beetroot, tomatoes and cauliflower. I can't live without tomatoes in the summer.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrades for June Rose and Starshine; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:
:green: Happy to do deals for Arena members on any of my stuff for sale on Ebay  :green:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 10:02:36 PM »
There are quite a lot of guides online to taking basil cuttings and rooting them if you decide to go down that line. It's important where you cut the plant, so those might be helpful (it needs to be at a leaf node to give the plant the best chance).

Although a stem going brown is not necessarily a sign the plant is sick or dying, it is definitely something not to ignore. Plants are funny things, though. One of my delphiniums had a broken, split and brown rotten stem all last year, but it still managed to grow and flower from it after I stabilised it.

It looks like you have two stems wound together but they seem to have decent leaves growing on them.

I have just added 2 blue poppies to my plant family. I am not bad with plants, mostly, but I have not the best history with this kind of poppy. So fingers crossed. It was chucking it down with rain on and off today...again, without warning. I don't know what's going on but I'm fed up with emptying basket plant trays and removing slugs. (Where do they even come from? Is it raining slugs?! :P)

Spider plants are very easy to grow, for sure :D I have a couple of ooooold spiders who go outside every summer. I normally cut off their pup stems so they can't produce more plants, but last summer one accidentally rooted before I noticed it. So I took it in. Since October last year this spiderplant has gone from being really tiny to being a substantial adult plant taking over my windowsill. All I've done is pot it up and water it occasionally.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:04:38 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal