collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help finding a specific book?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Help finding a specific book?
« on: May 26, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »
Okay, kids, I'm asking here because there are so many of us that maybe someone knows.  I work in a library and had a patron tell me he was looking for a book that Google couldn't find and he said it's not on Amazon.

The book is called (according to him) A Horde of Faces.  He didn't know the author but said it had something to do with overpopulation in a dystopian society.  He said he read it a long time ago (60s or 70s maybe) and hasn't seen it since.  He said he wanted to buy a copy if he could ever find it.

Anyone ever heard of it? :shrug:

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a specific book?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »
Could it be A Torrent of Faces by James Blish and Norman L. Knight? It was first published in 1968, and is set on an overcrowded earth eight hundred years into the future.
It is available on Amazon, but he might have missed it if he was looking for "horde" rather than "torrent".

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 05:47:58 AM »
^ That was well-spotted. It's also in Open Library: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL9365280M/Torrent_of_Faces

I just found an essay he might find interesting about Malthusian ideas influencing science fiction: https://thefederalist.com/2013/09/26/malthus-at-the-movies/
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 07:20:13 AM »
Ooh...that might be it!  Thank you both so much.  I'll pass this along to the librarians and maybe we can actually get it into the patron's hands!

I love being able to ask for obscure things on here and have people actually be able to find them.   :lol:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 03:56:53 PM »
https://www.abebooks.com/ is good for stuff that Amazon won't find cuz it's out of print
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal