collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sticky Residue Remover SMELL?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Sticky Residue Remover SMELL?
« on: May 23, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
Oh ponies of customisation ... please lend me your wisdom!

I used a sticky residue remover in order to remove brown parcel tape glue from a UPVC (I'm guessing) windowsill/windowframe. Or, at least, I TRIED! I wiped parts with some of this product onto a microfibre cloth, left it to soak for a few minutes, then tried to get it off. It just seemed to melt a part of it and smear it everywhere, I had to give up.

I finally got rid of most of the stuff using bicarbonate of soda, another micofibre cloth made damp and elbow grease. The problem? MY HOUSE STINKS OF THE REMOVER!
During the course of today, here's what I've done;

- Wiped away the residue from the windowsill in the areas I dabbed with wipes
- Tried to clean it with antibacterial spray, obviously didn't work
- Tried Cif cream, didn't work
- Tried just attacking with a non-scratch sponge, didn't work
- Did the bicarbonate of soda version
- Wiped down the windowsills with wipes after the bicarb with antibac wipes
- Poured clean water over the windows themselves while they were open so the water ran outside
- During all of this I had a fan on full blast and both windows open because SMELL

But what about the cloths I had used?

- Threw them into the washing machine at 60c wash
- They still stank and contaminated cloths already in there
- Wash again with detergent, fabric softener and laundry clenser, again 60c
- STILL stank. Tossed them in rage
- House still stank, changed the bins to get rid of anything I had anywhere near that stuff or anything that touched something near it, it's that pervasive
- Ran the machine empty wash with laundry cleanser
- Smell still bothering me, running again currently with what was left of my bicarb in the drum and drawer

During all this, I have an air filter on full blast and had the kitchen windows open too

I'm pretty paranoid as I have pets, but the STENCH of this stuff is just so pervasive!!! Do I just have it in my nose?? I didn't even use too much, or so I thought! How do you be sure that it's really done or make this dang stuff go away??

For sure, I am NEVER using residue remover  :mad: I never thought I'd be a completely no-harsh-chemicals person, although I do not use bleach in my house for my pet's health, but after this?? BEGONE SMELLY CHEMS!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Sticky Residue Remover SMELL?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 05:01:03 AM »
Eww, I'm really sorry. Do you remember what the chemical 'sticky residue remover' actually had in the ingredients?

I had a nightmare trying to clean white UPV window frames once as well, someone-I-am-no-longer-particularly-fond-of-for-this-reason left an oily black hand print. I tried to clean it up with the right type of product but it didn't work. Proprietory UPVC cleaner specifically designed for window frames doesn't seem to do the job so I'm skeptical about trying to clean up UPVC window frames in general. Our current house has 'rosewood' i.e. sort of reddy brown plastic window frames that are not to my taste however I don't worry about them as much as white. None of this is any help to you sorry.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:17:34 AM »
Oh that.  Yeah just hang it outside in the sun for a week or so
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
It's called Problem Solved Sticky Residue Remover; the strange thing is that Google brings me nothing???? The closest I get is other things from the Problem Solved range, and going to the URL on the bottle tells me nothing.

I'll post pictures of the label in a bit just in case anyone else comes up with this, I think I've got a discontinued product or something. Good, it stinks  :mad:

What would you recommend for the washing machine? I gave up and tossed the wash cloths, I just couldn't take that smell and got very paranoid  :cry: I need to get new ones now, but I am worried for the washing machine as I don't want that dang smell on my clothing. I don't think I used enough bicarb in the washing machine to remove the smell, I'll get a proper washing machine cleaner and try that next

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 10:33:19 PM »
It's called Problem Solved Sticky Residue Remover; the strange thing is that Google brings me nothing???? The closest I get is other things from the Problem Solved range, and going to the URL on the bottle tells me nothing.

I'll post pictures of the label in a bit just in case anyone else comes up with this, I think I've got a discontinued product or something. Good, it stinks  :mad:

What would you recommend for the washing machine? I gave up and tossed the wash cloths, I just couldn't take that smell and got very paranoid  :cry: I need to get new ones now, but I am worried for the washing machine as I don't want that dang smell on my clothing. I don't think I used enough bicarb in the washing machine to remove the smell, I'll get a proper washing machine cleaner and try that next

It's almost impossible to know what to use unless I can find out what's in it, really sorry. I would try running it on the hottest wash with some normal washing powder another time because most things will loosen with heat and detergent... I think laundry cleanser is mainly anti-bac so probably won't help.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:34:55 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal