collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Using acetone  (Read 3128 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Using acetone
« on: May 15, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »
I just went through my G1 collection to inspect each pony for rogue marks that could be gently removed by using acetone on a cotton bud. These were most often just random specks of paint for which acetone works perfectly, and I've used it before and heard on here many times that others have used it successfully (being careful, of course, to avoid any painted areas on the pony such as the eyes and symbol). I've literally never had any issues with it at all.

However, there were three ponies today that did NOT respond well to the acetone  :huh: These were Sweet Pocket, her UK counterpart Singing Pocket and Snowdrop (the German Flower pony). In each case there were a couple of dirty marks or a fleck of paint where I went straight in with the acetone cotton bud to remove (having previously treated dozens of other ponies similarly), when, to my horror, their actual body colour came off as well!  :shocked: I could instantly see the purple and yellow of the dye on the cotton bud, and on the pony there was left behind a small pale spot that had been stripped of its dye  :yikes:

Now, I realise there are many seasoned pony ppl on here who may be throwing up their arms in horror at what I've done (tbh the damage isn't bad - you'd have to be really scrutinising the pony in pure daylight to see it - I caught it immediately and stopped), but I genuinely didn't know the dye/colour (or whatever) could come off a pony's body in that way! And I've literally never heard anything like that being discussed on here...

I thought I'd better tell everyone what happened in case anyone else is planning to use acetone on these particular ponies. My advice is please DON'T!

I had to make myself a nice cup of tea and watch an episode of Line Of Duty in order to get over it  :lol: UK folks will understand.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:05:08 PM by applejackbunny »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Re: Using acetone
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 07:31:20 AM »
ah. sorry to hear.  I think we’ve all had those “whoops” moments. (like when I cut off Quarterbacks mane instead of trying to detangle)

thanks for sharing

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »
Yeah, I just wanted to alert ppl to the fact that acetone can be damaging to certain ponies. I was unaware of that fact. I'd love to know if anyone else has ever had that happen to them (specifically with the acetone)...

Sorry about your Q'back Gabumon  :(
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »
This is interesting. We're these ponies from later in the line?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:23:41 AM »
This is interesting. We're these ponies from later in the line?

I believe so, yes. Do you have a theory?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »
My Snowdrop was full of rust when I got her and I used acetone, among other things, to clean her and didn't have this happen. I've never had it happen.

Do you have pictures?

edit: If it was just yellow, I'd assume it was nicotine. I'm not sure what purple could be though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:10:34 AM by BlackCurtains »

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 11:17:53 AM »
My Snowdrop was full of rust when I got her and I used acetone, among other things, to clean her and didn't have this happen. I've never had it happen.

Do you have pictures?

edit: If it was just yellow, I'd assume it was nicotine. I'm not sure what purple could be though.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics (or at least I'm not set up to load them onto here).

It was definitely the pony's actual colour coming off and not an external substance. They had already been thoroughly cleaned prior to that and Snowdrop didn't smell of smoke or anything. They were both clean.

You could clearly see it was the actual dye coming off of the pony's body and staining the cotton bud either purple or yellow and there was a coresponding area of almost white left behind on the pony...  :huh:

It has never happened to me in 20 years of pony collecting so I was very shocked. That's why I'm sharing. I don't know why it didn't happen with yours...

Out of dozens and dozens of ponies it has only ever happened with these two (three if you count the UK version of Sweet Pocket).

Post Merge: May 16, 2021, 11:21:41 AM

Maybe I should add that I was using 100% pure acetone. Is that the issue, do you think?? Should it be more dilute?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:21:41 AM by applejackbunny »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
I use 100% pure acetone too. Hmm. Interesting. Maybe something happened to them prior that made the plastic leech easily.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »
I use 100% pure acetone too. Hmm. Interesting. Maybe something happened to them prior that made the plastic leech easily.

I hadn't considered that. It's certainly possible, I suppose... It is very odd as I had thought that a pony's colour was very stable (no pun intended!  :lol:).

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 11:51:40 AM »
Weird things can happen. I have 5 Big Brothers who I'm pretty sure were heavily smoke damaged from a fire. Their plastic is so weird. It has swirls and dark lines in it. I bought them as bait but so far haven't used any of them (probably had 'em for 10 years now).

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »
Weird things can happen. I have 5 Big Brothers who I'm pretty sure were heavily smoke damaged from a fire. Their plastic is so weird. It has swirls and dark lines in it. I bought them as bait but so far haven't used any of them (probably had 'em for 10 years now).

Oh wow!  :shocked: Poor things... Hope you manage to resurrect them at some point  :)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 06:13:54 PM »
Wow, that is such a bizarre thing to happen.  :blink:  I've never encountered it myself.  I also use 100% acetone, but admittedly more of my experience is with using it on G3s.  Hmm.  I think in future I'll just check on a hoof first before using it on a non-bait pony... thanks for the warning.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 11:18:53 PM »
Ditto, thank you for the warning. I use acetone sometimes then I wash it off afterwards with a little soap and water. I usually tryt soap and water, baby oil or magic eraser first.

P.s. I'm about to have a cup of tea and watch Line of Duty!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:40:05 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
Wow, that is such a bizarre thing to happen.  :blink:  I've never encountered it myself.  I also use 100% acetone, but admittedly more of my experience is with using it on G3s.  Hmm.  I think in future I'll just check on a hoof first before using it on a non-bait pony... thanks for the warning.

That is an excellent idea, Sun - I wish I'd done that, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing!  :lol:

Post Merge: May 17, 2021, 09:22:35 AM

Ditto, thank you for the warning. I use acetone sometimes then I wash it off afterwards with a little soap and water. I usually tryt soap and water, baby oil or magic eraser first.

P.s. I'm about to have a cup of tea and watch Line of Duty!!

You're most welcome - anything to stop what happened to me form happening to anyone else!

Yes, I wash all my ponies with soap and water first and then use the acetone for any stubborn marks or flecks of paint etc. I'll certainly be more careful in future and test it on the underside of a hoof first  :lol:

Hope you enjoyed Line of Duty! Which series are you on?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:22:35 AM by applejackbunny »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »
Purple is so very unstable. It would have only been a matter of time that the color would probably have completely leeched out. You just sped it up a bit... I've had red dye completely rub off with just water and kleenex on TE Bright Eyes and Baby Rainribbon. Yup, TE Bright Eyes, who did not look reddish at all prior to cleaning.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal