collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair cutting help?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline princess

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Hair cutting help?
« on: May 12, 2021, 04:49:49 PM »
Just got into rehairing ponies and I've made some ponies even prettier than they once were, imo!

But their hair is too long now and the scissors I own are much too dull.  Is there a specific kind of scissor I should be looking into or do I just need to buy a new pair of regular scissors? 

Also! How do you know how long to cut it?  and when you cut it do you do it at an angle?  So many questions because I need to make sure my girls look beautiful!

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
Re: Hair cutting help?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
Welcome to the world of rehairing ponies!

My very favorite pair of scissors for cutting pony hair is a $4 pair that I picked up at Michael's several years back. I believe it's this one (Loops & Threads Micro Tip, if the link doesn't work). I'm sure there are more expensive scissors out there that work better, but I've had a lot of luck in the sewing section of various craft stores. Scissors that are meant for fabric are generally going to cut through nylon well too!

I don't have any good advice for hair-cutting techniques other than err on the side of too-long rather than too-short. Cutting more hair off if it's too short is way easier than rehairing after a botched trim!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 06:11:51 PM »
For hoof length hair, you can cut a hank in thirds. Use two for the mane and the other for the tail. That way you're not wasting any of the hank on hair that's longer than that and you can of course cut it shorter.

I also use a pair of fabric scissors, small ones for more control. I always cut with the pony standing upright so I get the angle right. Agreeing with Kanthaka that too long is better than too short.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »
I've used haircutting scissors stolen from my mom (lol sorry) and sewing scissors. I use some sort of all purpose scissors right now that are probably a bit dull for the job but they're serviceable.

You have good advice here. I find that to make a pony feel "finished" it always helps a lot to do something with the hair after cutting, usually wetting it and letting it set curled around a neck or a hoof and making sure you run hot water down the neck to make the hair lay flat. I have a lot of so-so cutting jobs that are helped by making the hair look less brand new like that.

I lay the pony down on her side, but I agree doing it standing up is probably better. Get a pony for reference nearby if you can, pull to see how long her hair is, and cut longer than you want.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 02:29:40 AM »
I think you can sharpen your scisors again just in case their only problem is them being dull.  ^^
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal