collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G2 hair variation?  (Read 653 times)

Offline showstopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
G2 hair variation?
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
So this might be an odd thing to ask about, however I was going through my G2s and I noticed that some of them have very thin hair with only one line of hair, and some have two and it's much thicker. I have two Sundance, one with the thin single line of hair and one with two lines that's thicker.

They are both the exact same Sundance-- so I wonder, is it a year released variation, a UK vs. US variation or a factory error? This Sundance is not the only G2 in my collection with thin hair, I'm just curious if this is something anyone else has noticed or knows anything about!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LEFT is one line/thin hair Sundance     RIGHT is two line/thick hair Sundance
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:05:58 AM by showstopper »

* WANTED * ART * TRADES *

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: G2 hair variation?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 12:40:30 PM »
It's shown in some capacity on the Lavender Lagoon site's glossary page. . Both were from 1997, and the site says:
It's not completely clear if their distribution was per region (single manes - US, double manes - EU). Both the Secret Surprise and Magic Motion sets had these variants.
The double-maned pony is usually smaller than her single-maned counterpart.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »
It is my understanding the single row manes were in the first batch released under the Kenner brand.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:32:46 PM by MoonShadow »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 04:28:21 AM »
It is my understanding the single row manes were in the first batch released under the Kenner brand.  :)
Would it have the Kenner stamping on the foot? Because I have Petal Blossom, both are stamped with 1997 Hasbro Inc with one having the single row of hair and one having the two rows :wonder:

I also recall asking something about this years ago in the community and the answer I got was that this was a common thing among Gen 2 ponies, and that likely the rows deal was because how hard the plastic is so the machine didn't quite like all of them (who knows). I would say we need to look at later releases that were in the UK since in the US Gen 2 stopped in 1998, to see if this same thing happened with those ponies.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:35:34 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
Would it have the Kenner stamping on the foot? Because I have Petal Blossom, both are stamped with 1997 Hasbro Inc with one having the single row of hair and one having the two rows :wonder:

I also recall asking something about this years ago in the community and the answer I got was that this was a common thing among Gen 2 ponies, and that likely the rows deal was because how hard the plastic is so the machine didn't quite like all of them (who knows). I would say we need to look at later releases that were in the UK since in the US Gen 2 stopped in 1998, to see if this same thing happened with those ponies.

Hi there!  They all had Hasbro stamped on their feet.  Kenner was just on the back of the box.  The very first wave (Sky Skimmer, Petal Blossom, Clever Clover, Berry Bright, Morning Glory, Ivy, and Sundance) hit stores in Nov/Dec 1997.  These had a single row with Kenner on the back of the box.  The stock refresh that spring had a slight packaging change -- Hasbro was on the back of the box, and file cards were updated with corrected colors.  The original Sky Skimmer file card showed her as completely pink and Petal Blossom was yellow with pink hair.  Anyway, the ponies in the updated packaging had double rows. 

All of the adult Euro G2s in my collection have double rows.  I think some (maybe all) of the babies had single. I do not have access to them at the moment to look.

Just a warning -- this is from my own experience collecting as a tween in the US.  I am not sure how things fell in other places. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 06:20:57 PM by MoonShadow »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal