collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mattel Wants You To Send Them Your Toys  (Read 2294 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Mattel Wants You To Send Them Your Toys
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:57:27 PM »
Article:
https://corporate.mattel.com/news/mattel-launches-new-toy-takeback-program-called-mattel-playback

In summary, Mattel wants you to mail them back (for free) your old Barbie, Matchbox and MEGA toys for recycling (melting down, repurposed etc.)

What are your thoughts? Here are mine:
1) This could potentially create a huge after market (Ebay, etc.) for toys and skyrocket prices in the future.

2) As a consumer, I would have some concern over the toys I purchased for children to play with that were made with recycled plastics from other toys, especially depending on the age of the child it was purchased for. As MLP collectors, we already see the effects of plastic breakdown in G1's from age and possibly mixing old and new batches of plastic. We also know that some G3's can be sticky and have plastic breakdown issues and these are not even 20 years old. For those of us that also are Barbie collectors or have childhood Barbies, certain years of Barbie dolls already have issues with the plastics that were used in her legs, let alone the breakdown we see in other doll/toy lines from the 80's.

3) Potential impact on toy donations to charitable organizations.

4) Not sure how many people would actually go for this. If they really wanted this to be effective, they would need to have some sort of buy back program or other incentives.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Mattel Wants You To Send Them Your Toys
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »
I know Hasbro rolled out something similar with Terracycle. I know the toys were supposed to go towards being benches and such.
I cannot find anything that says how successful it was. I feel like people are more eager to simply donate their toys and aren't aware of the recycling program.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
yes this is Mattel's turn to play with Terracycle
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
Hahahaha nooo.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
Sounds like there's really no incentive there to participate. I don't really throw anything like that away anyway...if I don't keep it, I'll give it away, donate it, or worst case recycle it if it's broken, so nothing ends up in the landfill on my watch anyway.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand it sounds like a great idea and will keep Barbies and the other toys from ending up in landfills but I wonder how well it will work in practice. I also wonder if there will be issues with the new toys if batches of plastic from the older ones are used with newer plastic.

It also makes me concerned that people might send perfectly good toys that could still be loved by children or used by customizers to be recycled.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand it sounds like a great idea and will keep Barbies and the other toys from ending up in landfills but I wonder how well it will work in practice. I also wonder if there will be issues with the new toys if batches of plastic from the older ones are used with newer plastic.

It also makes me concerned that people might send perfectly good toys that could still be loved by children or used by customizers to be recycled.

Ponyfan

I have similar thoughts as well. On the one hand it can be good, but on the other hand it could be wasteful. I could see how this could be a good option for the various donation based organizations/stores for when they receive products that are in a condition that would not allow them to be sold. Being able to send them to a company for free would keep them from being landfill in that case.

For me and my family now, and this was true as I grew up as well, we always donated things if they were still usable and in decent condition. Very rarely did a toy end up in the trash. It either went to donation or it was passed down to my cousins.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 12:44:00 AM »
I think it's just a gimmick and wont' have any serious impact. I agree with LadyAmalthea, we do exactly the same with toys and rarely are they permanently broken before they get donated because we look after things.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 02:13:55 AM »
I guess we'll see how it pans out. If it is successful, I imagine it will have an impact on the collector market some time down the line, but probably not imminently...the stuff that would be sent back will probably be fairly recent stuff as we also live in a society where people are massively misinformed that that 5 year old toy rotting in their dog's bed is worth a fortune if they put it on ebay.

So yeah. Since there's no financial incentive to this, the only ones that will be sent back are likely to be from more recent purchases that have no resale value on the second hand market.

Sorry if that's cynical.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
So yeah. Since there's no financial incentive to this, the only ones that will be sent back are likely to be from more recent purchases that have no resale value on the second hand market.

At least no resale value currently. I can see it being a problem when the current generation grows up and realizes they want their old toys. But then again maybe they will just have new stuff aimed at them like the Basic Fun ponies and how MGA is doing Bratz and Lalaloopsy reissues later this year.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 01:11:39 AM »

At least no resale value currently. I can see it being a problem when the current generation grows up and realizes they want their old toys. But then again maybe they will just have new stuff aimed at them like the Basic Fun ponies and how MGA is doing Bratz and Lalaloopsy reissues later this year.

This is true, although with the speed of turnover of some modern toys from store to child to second hand market, I'm not sure they'll even remember most of these. Sad but I used to see G4s at the carboot sale which were still in stores. Regularly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
I guess we'll see how it pans out. If it is successful, I imagine it will have an impact on the collector market some time down the line, but probably not imminently...the stuff that would be sent back will probably be fairly recent stuff as we also live in a society where people are massively misinformed that that 5 year old toy rotting in their dog's bed is worth a fortune if they put it on ebay.

Sorry if that's cynical.

But the dog slobber adds to its authenticity and is worth jacking up the price!

:silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 10:04:20 AM »
I feel like this a money-saving attempt by the company, making things from recycled plastic is probably cheaper than using new stuff. Plus, as others have said, destroying the old toys creates scarcity. My opinion may be cynical, but corporations have never proven my cynicism wrong.

I hope not a lot of people participate in this, because it won't make new toys any safer chemically, and it won't help the environment that much because - if you dig into research about recycling - only about 5-10% of plastics can be recycled anyway, and thirdly because the toys made in the 80s and 90s were such higher quality. They're never going to be made that well again, because corporations are more invested in profit than making a quality product. It doesn't matter the toy line, compare the old toys to the new - Puppy Surprise, Polly Pocket, MLP, beanies, plushes, whatever you collect. Across the board, prices have gone way up, and quality has gone way down. It breaks my heart. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:08:25 AM by Twizel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal