Pony Talk > Off Topic

Mattel Wants You To Send Them Your Toys

(1/3) > >>

toyjunky:
Article:
https://corporate.mattel.com/news/mattel-launches-new-toy-takeback-program-called-mattel-playback

In summary, Mattel wants you to mail them back (for free) your old Barbie, Matchbox and MEGA toys for recycling (melting down, repurposed etc.)

What are your thoughts? Here are mine:
1) This could potentially create a huge after market (Ebay, etc.) for toys and skyrocket prices in the future.

2) As a consumer, I would have some concern over the toys I purchased for children to play with that were made with recycled plastics from other toys, especially depending on the age of the child it was purchased for. As MLP collectors, we already see the effects of plastic breakdown in G1's from age and possibly mixing old and new batches of plastic. We also know that some G3's can be sticky and have plastic breakdown issues and these are not even 20 years old. For those of us that also are Barbie collectors or have childhood Barbies, certain years of Barbie dolls already have issues with the plastics that were used in her legs, let alone the breakdown we see in other doll/toy lines from the 80's.

3) Potential impact on toy donations to charitable organizations.

4) Not sure how many people would actually go for this. If they really wanted this to be effective, they would need to have some sort of buy back program or other incentives.

tailrustedtealeaf:
I know Hasbro rolled out something similar with Terracycle. I know the toys were supposed to go towards being benches and such.
I cannot find anything that says how successful it was. I feel like people are more eager to simply donate their toys and aren't aware of the recycling program.

lovesbabysquirmy:
yes this is Mattel's turn to play with Terracycle

Leave a Whisper:
Hahahaha nooo.

LadyAmalthea:
Sounds like there's really no incentive there to participate. I don't really throw anything like that away anyway...if I don't keep it, I'll give it away, donate it, or worst case recycle it if it's broken, so nothing ends up in the landfill on my watch anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version