collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay prices  (Read 2488 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Ebay prices
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:03:54 AM »
I know I'm not going to be alone here, but l'm seriously concerned now that I'll simply never be able to afford my remaining few G1 ponies. The prices are ridiculously off the charts at the moment...

So, that's my question. Is it just "at the moment" or do you think this is a trend that will only worsen? Will prices just go up and up, or will they level off, or even drop, again?

I realise that Ebay prices go up and down, and over the years I've seen plenty of that (and bought ponies at too high a price only to find them much cheaper years later). But this feels different to me...

What do you think? Also, why is this happening?

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I did a quick scan and didn't see anything...
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Ebay prices
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:19:15 AM »
It's annoying for sure, but I did score a Locket for not too much a little bit ago because she was hiding in a lot with some G4 undesirables. The secret sauce is to look through G3-G4 lots that may have sneaky G1s, but that has been true beforehand. G4 actually sell for a pretty nice amount on Mercari and such, I've sold off Target brushables in lots for $2 a pony and came out on top.

But that's if you don't mind selling and cleaning them up. I've taken this time to focus on thrifting more, customizing my baits, working on my restoration and painting skills so I can get cheaper ponies and fix them back up to something I consider display worthy. I've also been looking at filling my G4-G4 reboot collection's holes. With G5 on the horizon, my online buying will be limited to good deals I get through here (they do exist! Keep an eye out. I'm sure Facebook experiences similar stuff, I just hate Facebook) and the odd sneaky G1.

...And that's my piece as an all-gen collector. Now's the time to get G4 in lots as kids age out. I feel genuinely sorry for everyone who started collecting G1 during the pandemic. I couldn't imagine accumulating as many as I did with today's prices.

Collecting is a "safe" hobby people have picked up during the pandemic. I feel like there will be a decline at some point, but perhaps not as monumental as the increase has been.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
I think its just people with $ signs in their eyes who are too lazy to bother researching.  I've noticed prices are starting to lower fortunately. I recently bought  Baby Dipper at $30, when she was recently selling for $100.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
I think its just people with $ signs in their eyes who are too lazy to bother researching.  I've noticed prices are starting to lower fortunately. I recently bought  Baby Dipper at $30, when she was recently selling for $100.

That's very reassuring, thanks Whisper. I have noticed that many ponies advertised at astronomical prices are not selling... Maybe the sellers will eventually get the message and be forced to lower the price.

I also agree that much of it is sheer greed, sadly.

Post Merge: May 09, 2021, 10:04:25 AM

It's annoying for sure, but I did score a Locket for not too much a little bit ago because she was hiding in a lot with some G4 undesirables. The secret sauce is to look through G3-G4 lots that may have sneaky G1s, but that has been true beforehand. G4 actually sell for a pretty nice amount on Mercari and such, I've sold off Target brushables in lots for $2 a pony and came out on top.

But that's if you don't mind selling and cleaning them up. I've taken this time to focus on thrifting more, customizing my baits, working on my restoration and painting skills so I can get cheaper ponies and fix them back up to something I consider display worthy. I've also been looking at filling my G4-G4 reboot collection's holes. With G5 on the horizon, my online buying will be limited to good deals I get through here (they do exist! Keep an eye out. I'm sure Facebook experiences similar stuff, I just hate Facebook) and the odd sneaky G1.

...And that's my piece as an all-gen collector. Now's the time to get G4 in lots as kids age out. I feel genuinely sorry for everyone who started collecting G1 during the pandemic. I couldn't imagine accumulating as many as I did with today's prices.

Collecting is a "safe" hobby people have picked up during the pandemic. I feel like there will be a decline at some point, but perhaps not as monumental as the increase has been.

Those are all great tips, Tealeaf - thanks! I employ many of these tactics already as a seasoned collector (emphasis on the seasoned! :lol:) and I agree with you that I'm *so* very grateful I started collecting 20 years ago when you could pick most ponies up for a few quid, or even pennies. Imagine that!  :lol:

I know that prices have risen steadily over that 20 year period, but it's just the sudden and astronomical increase we've seen over the last year that has left me speechless!  :blink: :shocked: :cry:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:04:25 AM by applejackbunny »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 11:37:43 AM »

I started collecting again this year and a lot of the eBay prices are crazy I have gotten so many ponies from thrift stores that aren’t even half the price they sell but online shopping is my only choice since a lot of places are still closed

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 11:17:50 PM »
I really hope they fall, at least somewhat! Cuz otherwise I'm gonna have to give up buying anything but the latest G4s! :lmao: It's a rough time to be a long-time pony collector, I tell you what! I do still find some good deals now and again on eBay, but it's A) rarely G1 or B) not as low as I used to get it.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 11:45:18 PM »
I think it's the plague of the mobile phone ebay generation, tbh. By which I mean people who are just clicking and listing stuff at any old price and people who are clicking and bidding on stuff at any old price, neither of them doing any research about value or rarity first.

...But it's also possibly because there have been fewer sales in person because of COVID, things have centred on ebay.

G1 is getting rarer and more expensive and that's probably not avoidable. It's interesting that this is happening now, with the pandemic..but...we are always moving further away from the time when these were sold.

I don't know about other generations, and tbh I haven't been on ebay a lot lately. But I would say the prices are inconsistent rather than excessive.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 12:33:13 AM »
I've seen some stuff going for quite high prices recently. I think that there are fewer items around in really excellent condition now so it's that end of the market where I'm now paying around 15-20% more than I would have expected 2 years ago. The only thing we can do is look after our items carefully with correct storage - no moisture or dirt, stable temperature and humidity, wrap in acid free tissue paper, limit contact with other types of plastic, allow air flow. I know it can be hard to achieve but it will pay off in the long run. I guess we could also be more active in buying and selling to each other here since there are no fees! Facebook creeps me out so I'm otherwise stuck with Ebay.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:44:17 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 12:45:32 AM »
This also reminds me that I need to PC the remaining stuff in my trade chest, since I'm getting to the point of being able to go to a post office again (gasp! the luxury!) and I really need to clear space...

I will add that to my to do list. :O)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 05:28:41 AM »

I don't know about other generations, and tbh I haven't been on ebay a lot lately. But I would say the prices are inconsistent rather than excessive.

Thanks for your input Taffeta. Can you just clarify, do you mean that you feel G1 prices are inconsistent rather than excessive, or the other gens? I think you mean the other gens but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Post Merge: May 11, 2021, 05:37:05 AM

I've seen some stuff going for quite high prices recently. I think that there are fewer items around in really excellent condition now so it's that end of the market where I'm now paying around 15-20% more than I would have expected 2 years ago. The only thing we can do is look after our items carefully with correct storage - no moisture or dirt, stable temperature and humidity, wrap in acid free tissue paper, limit contact with other types of plastic, allow air flow. I know it can be hard to achieve but it will pay off in the long run. I guess we could also be more active in buying and selling to each other here since there are no fees! Facebook creeps me out so I'm otherwise stuck with Ebay.

That's a good point about curating our collections properly. We need to treat them as valuable collectibles as well as the lovely toys that they are. After all, we are only custodians of these items - ultimately they will pass through many more hands after our own and who knows what demand for them will be like 20, 50 or 100 years from now...

I'm trying to go through them and restore them as best I can and as minimally as possible (often only washing them), and I check them all regularly which allows them to air out...

I tried Facebook for the first time recently, for Nirvana ponies. I must say that I'm finding it frustrating as half the time people don't respond to my messages, even when you're offering to buy something!  :shocked: I might have to stick to Ebay too...  >_<

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:37:05 AM by applejackbunny »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 07:00:42 AM »

Thanks for your input Taffeta. Can you just clarify, do you mean that you feel G1 prices are inconsistent rather than excessive, or the other gens? I think you mean the other gens but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

That's a good point about curating our collections properly. We need to treat them as valuable collectibles as well as the lovely toys that they are. After all, we are only custodians of these items - ultimately they will pass through many more hands after our own and who knows what demand for them will be like 20, 50 or 100 years from now...

I'm trying to go through them and restore them as best I can and as minimally as possible (often only washing them), and I check them all regularly which allows them to air out...

I tried Facebook for the first time recently, for Nirvana ponies. I must say that I'm finding it frustrating as half the time people don't respond to my messages, even when you're offering to buy something!  :shocked: I might have to stick to Ebay too...  >_<

I'm thinking in about  50-100 years, they'll be kaput. Not even plastic lasts forever. 

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 11:50:14 AM »

I'm thinking in about  50-100 years, they'll be kaput. Not even plastic lasts forever.

You're probably absolutely right there Whisper!  :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 07:22:33 AM »
@applejackbunny, I really meant all gens. I saw a MOC Big brother pony sell for around $150 in February. Normally that would be over $200. So it's not necessarily the case that everything is going up. With G1 it may well be more up than down, but it's not universal.

...I don't really look at the other gens and wouldn't even like to guess on their pricing scale.

I wasn't very clear in how I phrased it, but I think I also meant that the excessive prices are not consistent between sales of the same pony, or between ponies from the same set. MLP has always been a bit like that though, and collectors tend to go after things in phases, so it could just be an acceleration of that?

@LAW - I'm pretty sure in 100 years I'll also be kaput, so I'm not going to worry too much. (I'm not sure about the 50 xD)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »
G3 prices are always completely random. Outside of those, I just do price checks on G4, and those are rather consistent. I can reliably sell a standard mane 6 release for about $3-4 depending on quality, and non-mane 6 usually go for about $15 each.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »
@applejackbunny, I really meant all gens. I saw a MOC Big brother pony sell for around $150 in February. Normally that would be over $200. So it's not necessarily the case that everything is going up. With G1 it may well be more up than down, but it's not universal.

...I don't really look at the other gens and wouldn't even like to guess on their pricing scale.

I wasn't very clear in how I phrased it, but I think I also meant that the excessive prices are not consistent between sales of the same pony, or between ponies from the same set. MLP has always been a bit like that though, and collectors tend to go after things in phases, so it could just be an acceleration of that?

@LAW - I'm pretty sure in 100 years I'll also be kaput, so I'm not going to worry too much. (I'm not sure about the 50 xD)

That too. :snicker:

Post Merge: May 12, 2021, 10:31:35 AM

G3 prices are always completely random. Outside of those, I just do price checks on G4, and those are rather consistent. I can reliably sell a standard mane 6 release for about $3-4 depending on quality, and non-mane 6 usually go for about $15 each.

G3s are still  blessedly cheap, with a few obvious exceptions.  Even the MIBs go for $20-$45 as far as I've seen. And considering what other toy lines can go for loose and boxed, that's a bargain.  I mean, look how quickly even new Breyers go up in price.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:31:57 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal