Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Ebay prices

(1/4) > >>

applejackbunny:
I know I'm not going to be alone here, but l'm seriously concerned now that I'll simply never be able to afford my remaining few G1 ponies. The prices are ridiculously off the charts at the moment...

So, that's my question. Is it just "at the moment" or do you think this is a trend that will only worsen? Will prices just go up and up, or will they level off, or even drop, again?

I realise that Ebay prices go up and down, and over the years I've seen plenty of that (and bought ponies at too high a price only to find them much cheaper years later). But this feels different to me...

What do you think? Also, why is this happening?

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I did a quick scan and didn't see anything...

tailrustedtealeaf:
It's annoying for sure, but I did score a Locket for not too much a little bit ago because she was hiding in a lot with some G4 undesirables. The secret sauce is to look through G3-G4 lots that may have sneaky G1s, but that has been true beforehand. G4 actually sell for a pretty nice amount on Mercari and such, I've sold off Target brushables in lots for $2 a pony and came out on top.

But that's if you don't mind selling and cleaning them up. I've taken this time to focus on thrifting more, customizing my baits, working on my restoration and painting skills so I can get cheaper ponies and fix them back up to something I consider display worthy. I've also been looking at filling my G4-G4 reboot collection's holes. With G5 on the horizon, my online buying will be limited to good deals I get through here (they do exist! Keep an eye out. I'm sure Facebook experiences similar stuff, I just hate Facebook) and the odd sneaky G1.

...And that's my piece as an all-gen collector. Now's the time to get G4 in lots as kids age out. I feel genuinely sorry for everyone who started collecting G1 during the pandemic. I couldn't imagine accumulating as many as I did with today's prices.

Collecting is a "safe" hobby people have picked up during the pandemic. I feel like there will be a decline at some point, but perhaps not as monumental as the increase has been.

Leave a Whisper:
I think its just people with $ signs in their eyes who are too lazy to bother researching.  I've noticed prices are starting to lower fortunately. I recently bought  Baby Dipper at $30, when she was recently selling for $100.

applejackbunny:

--- Quote from: Leave a Whisper on May 09, 2021, 09:40:03 AM ---I think its just people with $ signs in their eyes who are too lazy to bother researching.  I've noticed prices are starting to lower fortunately. I recently bought  Baby Dipper at $30, when she was recently selling for $100.

--- End quote ---

That's very reassuring, thanks Whisper. I have noticed that many ponies advertised at astronomical prices are not selling... Maybe the sellers will eventually get the message and be forced to lower the price.

I also agree that much of it is sheer greed, sadly.

Post Merge: May 09, 2021, 10:04:25 AM

--- Quote from: tailrustedtealeaf on May 09, 2021, 09:19:15 AM ---It's annoying for sure, but I did score a Locket for not too much a little bit ago because she was hiding in a lot with some G4 undesirables. The secret sauce is to look through G3-G4 lots that may have sneaky G1s, but that has been true beforehand. G4 actually sell for a pretty nice amount on Mercari and such, I've sold off Target brushables in lots for $2 a pony and came out on top.

But that's if you don't mind selling and cleaning them up. I've taken this time to focus on thrifting more, customizing my baits, working on my restoration and painting skills so I can get cheaper ponies and fix them back up to something I consider display worthy. I've also been looking at filling my G4-G4 reboot collection's holes. With G5 on the horizon, my online buying will be limited to good deals I get through here (they do exist! Keep an eye out. I'm sure Facebook experiences similar stuff, I just hate Facebook) and the odd sneaky G1.

...And that's my piece as an all-gen collector. Now's the time to get G4 in lots as kids age out. I feel genuinely sorry for everyone who started collecting G1 during the pandemic. I couldn't imagine accumulating as many as I did with today's prices.

Collecting is a "safe" hobby people have picked up during the pandemic. I feel like there will be a decline at some point, but perhaps not as monumental as the increase has been.

--- End quote ---

Those are all great tips, Tealeaf - thanks! I employ many of these tactics already as a seasoned collector (emphasis on the seasoned! :lol:) and I agree with you that I'm *so* very grateful I started collecting 20 years ago when you could pick most ponies up for a few quid, or even pennies. Imagine that!  :lol:

I know that prices have risen steadily over that 20 year period, but it's just the sudden and astronomical increase we've seen over the last year that has left me speechless!  :blink: :shocked: :cry:

ponyprincess2021:

--- Quote from: tailrustedtealeaf on May 09, 2021, 09:19:15 AM ---It's annoying for sure, but I did score a Locket for not too much a little bit ago because she was hiding in a lot with some G4 undesirables. The secret sauce is to look through G3-G4 lots that may have sneaky G1s, but that has been true beforehand. G4 actually sell for a pretty nice amount on Mercari and such, I've sold off Target brushables in lots for $2 a pony and came out on top.

--- End quote ---
I started collecting again this year and a lot of the eBay prices are crazy I have gotten so many ponies from thrift stores that aren’t even half the price they sell but online shopping is my only choice since a lot of places are still closed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version