collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl's 35th anniversary re-release  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
American Girl's 35th anniversary re-release
« on: May 04, 2021, 01:16:04 PM »
For their 35th anniversary, American Girl has re-released the first 6 dolls with their original outfits, accessories, and book! Rumors have been swirling around online for the last few weeks but Mattel didn't say a word until today when the line dropped.

What do you guys think of this? I bought Addy as soon as she was available last night and I'll probably get Josefina when my Rewards come in. The nostalgia is really working on me, haha.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: American Girl's 35th anniversary re-release
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
Wow, Felicity's dress is so different from the purple one I associate with her now!

I don't have a good display her nor would I pay that much for her now, but it's nice to see her come back. :)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 03:27:35 PM »
Oh, that is exciting! I wish I could afford them all! They are so nostalgic to me, at least the first 4 dolls that came out are, since those are the ones that my siblings and I had. I wonder how long they'll be available, and if they will rerelease any of the other accessories...Kirsten's trunk was the one thing I never got for her collection before she got retired, and it goes for a lot on Ebay. I've been really into American Girl stuff of late for some reason, and this news ensures I'm never going to have a full wallet again!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:56:13 AM »
I am broken hearted that they won't ship these to Canada.  I have wanted Kirsten MIB for over 20 years.  They teased for over a month that this would be happening... and then day of, all of us international fans got the middle finger.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 01:35:41 AM »
I am broken hearted that they won't ship these to Canada.  I have wanted Kirsten MIB for over 20 years.  They teased for over a month that this would be happening... and then day of, all of us international fans got the middle finger.  :( 

I heard its because of the neck strings, that other countries have stricter safety regulations on toys and won't allow them. It really is a shame. I wonder if the tradeoff for neck strings over excluding international customers will be worth it.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 06:45:00 AM »

I heard its because of the neck strings, that other countries have stricter safety regulations on toys and won't allow them. It really is a shame. I wonder if the tradeoff for neck strings over excluding international customers will be worth it.

When did AG switch back to using neck strings exclusively?  And why are there still Chapters Indigo stores selling AG dolls if it's a safety issue?

I think it's that they didn't want to put the French on their packaging for the language rights issue. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 06:59:08 AM »

Perhaps you can get someone to act as a go between for you?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 11:48:27 PM »

When did AG switch back to using neck strings exclusively?  And why are there still Chapters Indigo stores selling AG dolls if it's a safety issue?

I think it's that they didn't want to put the French on their packaging for the language rights issue. 

The 35th Anniversary dolls have neck strings. No other new AG dolls do.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
Samantha and Kirsten were always my favorites.  I was disappointed when Kirsten never made an appearance in the Beforever line.  I have Beforever Samantha and would love to get Kirsten.  I'm sad that international customers can't get the dolls shipped to them.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 04:34:38 PM »

Thank you for being the 1st person who succinctly answered my question about this.  I have asked in like, 3 places and you are the only one who answered.
The Bad Trader List

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:08:51 PM »
Why did they stop putting neck strings on them? How are the new heads attached? I just bought 2 NIB dolls today at a garage sale (for a really good price!), and I checked them...they do both have neck strings. Gauging by the meet outfits the dolls came in, I'm guessing their release years to be approximately 2009 and 2010, so the change must have happened after that.

That's horrible that they are excluding countries outside the US from purchasing the re-released dolls...I'm so sorry! I agree that someone could probably act as a go-between to help you get one. Still, that's super annoying that they won't ship even to Canada.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 11:48:11 PM »

Thank you for being the 1st person who succinctly answered my question about this.  I have asked in like, 3 places and you are the only one who answered.

Oh gosh that's ridiculous! I'm happy I helped.

Just so you know, in case no one has told you, the normal new AG dolls have plastic zip ties holding their heads on. The construction of the heads and bodies is identical but the spot where the string goes just has a zip tie now. The neck seam is sewed shut but its very easy to open up for restringing, cleaning, or even replacing zip ties with neck strings according to everything I've read. Its just a little bit more work now.

Why did they stop putting neck strings on them? How are the new heads attached? I just bought 2 NIB dolls today at a garage sale (for a really good price!), and I checked them...they do both have neck strings. Gauging by the meet outfits the dolls came in, I'm guessing their release years to be approximately 2009 and 2010, so the change must have happened after that.

That's horrible that they are excluding countries outside the US from purchasing the re-released dolls...I'm so sorry! I agree that someone could probably act as a go-between to help you get one. Still, that's super annoying that they won't ship even to Canada.

They stopped using neck strings because of safety regulations. Many of the original materials from the PC era days like glass and metal have stricter regulations now in many countries. There are honestly safer options now. I've never heard of anything bad happening because of an AG doll's neck string, but I can understand why its a risk and why they had to change. At the end of the day, these are toys made for children as the primary audience so its more important that they continue to be tweaked as needed to comply with modern safety regulations than have them stay the same to satisfy adult collectors.

My collection consists of 17 dolls with a mix of neck strings and zip ties. There's literally no difference in quality between the two categories (outside of other factors like the lower quality body fabric they used for a brief period of time). Unless you need to remove a doll's head for some reason, it has no impact on the doll whatsoever. And its very cheap and easy to swap them out if you want or need to.

I've also seen some comments on Instagram from American Girl stating that they can't ship to Canada due to the materials used - wood, glass, and metal - and the fact Canada has stricter regulations on these materials.

Offline FernMariposa919

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 08:01:57 PM »
Oh, I loved the AG dolls! They were a big part of my childhood. I had Molly and Felicity. My friend had Kirsten and her sister had Samantha and we would have fun playing with them. We played school with them, we had birthday parties for them, my mom would make dresses for the dolls (she had the patterns for my doll's dresses). I've even been to the AG stores in NYC and the MoA and it's always fun looking around and seeing the other dolls. I feel kind of old now that there's a doll from the '80s, ha! I think her name is Courtney. And I kind of want her...maybe I'll give one of my nieces her someday...

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 09:42:40 PM »
I popped on the AG site today and I saw that there is no longer any mention of Molly or Kirsten...I don't know if that means they are no longer offering them, or they are sold out or what. If you click on Felicity, it only shows that she is backordered until September of this year. But she still at least shows up, unlike Molly and Kirsten. I hope they're not gone for good!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 11:52:24 PM »
I feel kind of old now that there's a doll from the '80s, ha! I think her name is Courtney. And I kind of want her...maybe I'll give one of my nieces her someday...

Courtney is a fantastic doll! I got her earlier this year and I just adore her. Her entire collection is so cool.

I popped on the AG site today and I saw that there is no longer any mention of Molly or Kirsten...I don't know if that means they are no longer offering them, or they are sold out or what. If you click on Felicity, it only shows that she is backordered until September of this year. But she still at least shows up, unlike Molly and Kirsten. I hope they're not gone for good!

I don't know where you were looking, but they're still available. In the menu you click Dolls > 35th Anniversary Dolls. You can also get there directly through this link. Additionally, they are also on the main page when you click Dolls > Historical Dolls. They will only be available this year so they will eventually sell out.

My Addy arrived last week and she's absolutely perfect! Honestly, I like her better than my PC Addy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal