collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Marie Antoineigh (pic heavy!)  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Marie Antoineigh (pic heavy!)
« on: May 02, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »
Here she is at last ... Marie Antoineigh, in her full glory!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD! Only read further if you’re prepared for artist babble!!

Marie Antoineigh was created for the 2021 TheDollPlanet rerooting contest, and won first place in her category! She also was featured on the front page of their Etsy! Her hair is their NP Fluffy in pink and white!

Marie Antoineigh (obviously based on Marie Antoinette, with a punny name suggested by a friend!) started life as a very sad, stained Pony Bride, with her hair shaved down to the skin, a rusted and lobbed tail, a chopped-off neck plug and Sharpie stains everywhere, notably around her eyes. I didn’t get a true “before” photo, simply because with my impulsivity, sometimes the only choices are ‘start now or start never’, so I try to minimize how many roadblocks are ahead of me.

I took a photo of her after her rehair, but before the styling, so you could see how thick and poofy her hair was, and try to illustrate a little step-by-step of how her hairstyle came together. I knew some of the basics of how a Rococo hairstyle should look, but because I didn’t know if the hair would curl in time, I didn’t want to rely too heavily on curls, so I incorporated more braids than would probably be period accurate. I actually used a Gibson girl technique for the body of the hair, creating a ponytail that would cover up a square of Styrofoam (stabilized in the head with a straight pin), with another ponytail on top to enhance the volume. I love reading Instagram hair tutorials, so I attempted some ‘teased braids’ to frame the front of her bouffant. I left some hair loose at the end, so I could French braid it into the bouffant, and added a lock of the solid pink to twist into a bow, which I also learned on an IG tutorial. I figure she’s not Marie Antoinette exactly, she’s Marie Antoineigh, and so a pony version of a royal could have more liberties with her style. Her hairstyles often featured pearls, so I strung pearl beads onto thin jewelry wire, which gave me more control where I draped them. I also kept a hank of hair loose in the front to curl it on top of her crown, which is a ring, secured in place with two thin strands of hair tied at the back of her bouffant. Her tail is done in two braids, one large four-strand and one mini three-strand!

(Painting is “Portrait of Marie-Antoinette de Habsbourg-Lorraine (1755-93))

I originally planned to have a more stereotypical crown next to a slice of cake, but I realized that I should use a reference for a French crown. Unfortunately, the paintings I found of Marie Antoinette online didn’t feature any crowns, but I did find a beautiful jeweled headpiece in the painting above, with the typical feathers and pearls to accompany. She is also often painted with roses, so I added a frosting rose to her cake. And because she’s a royal, she gets the extra luxe treatment; a symbol on both sides! I also gave her a heart-shaped beauty mark to cover a particularly obvious purple dot on the side of her nose.

Marie kept her original eyepaint, as you can see in the top comparison photo; I used white speckling paint to cover the stains around her eyes, which reduced them to more of a lavender eyeshadow, and then painted a lacy pattern over it. Her original symbols were removed, and repainted with the cake-headpiece symbol.

I think that just about covers all of it! But I took a million photos, so just for kicks, I’ll include those below the cut! Thanks for reading!

Spoiler

This was my first composite photo, I was going to use this as my entry ... but when I emailed the organizer to ask if a composite photo was okay, she told me that someone uploaded 16 photos! So I added even more photos!

Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Marie Antoineigh (pic heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 02:24:44 PM »
:lol: That hairdo is certainly something else! You did a great job though. I love her symbol too and that it's on both sides. Congrats on winning!

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
Omg that hair! :lol: Gravity-defying. I love it! The symbol is also delicate and pretty, great choice. :heart:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 07:06:56 PM »
This is lovely.  I have to admit my first thought was "Is her head removeable?"   :lol:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 04:56:24 AM »
She is stunning! I'm super impressed with the way you turned her flaws into assets...the eyeshadow, the beauty mark...and her symbol is impressive! You did a great job of duplicating the jeweled feather-flower in Marie Antoinette's headpiece.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31:16 AM »
Oh wow!!! And her hair is so fluffy!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 06:09:27 AM »
Stunning! So artistic and detailed!  I love the nuances of her hair.  Cute play on words too.  Well deserved win!

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
I saw you post this girl on Instagram and was so excited about your win! I absolutely love her, her hairstyle is so over the top and opulent. Great work!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 04:53:45 PM »
:lol: That hairdo is certainly something else! You did a great job though. I love her symbol too and that it's on both sides. Congrats on winning!
Omg that hair! :lol: Gravity-defying. I love it! The symbol is also delicate and pretty, great choice. :heart:
She is stunning! I'm super impressed with the way you turned her flaws into assets...the eyeshadow, the beauty mark...and her symbol is impressive! You did a great job of duplicating the jeweled feather-flower in Marie Antoinette's headpiece.
Oh wow!!! And her hair is so fluffy!!!
Stunning! So artistic and detailed!  I love the nuances of her hair.  Cute play on words too.  Well deserved win!

Thank you all so much!! :heart::heart::heart: I am glad you enjoy her!

This is lovely.  I have to admit my first thought was "Is her head removeable?"   :lol:

Haha, in fact it is! :lmao: I usually preserve the neck plugs my ponies come with, because I like to have their heads turn; but because she came with a cut-off plug, I was afraid I'd have to glue it! But I created a sort of temporary neck plug by bending a mini glue stick into a "U" shape, jamming it into her head, and using it to hold the head in place on the neck! XD So she can technically turn her head, but it makes the hair-bow harder to appreciate, so I kept it in its factory position for the sake of photos! But I should probably get a dramatic head-off photo at some point, huh? :lmao:

I saw you post this girl on Instagram and was so excited about your win! I absolutely love her, her hairstyle is so over the top and opulent. Great work!

Aww hi from Instagram!! I always wonder how many fellow grammers we have on the forum! :hug: Thank you so much!! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »
Her hair is so fun! Awesome work on that, her intricate symbols, and making the best of her flaws.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »
Congrats on winning that contest!  Wow, that hairstyle is AMAZING(ly complex)!  And I like how you used inspiration from her portrait for the symbol. The symbol is nice and intricate while at the same time not taking away from the hairstyle.  The beauty mark to cover up a small stain is the perfect customizer's touch  ;)
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal