collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I sunfade these ponies?  (Read 642 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Can I sunfade these ponies?
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired so soft Truly and Wig wam.

The problem is, they both have a head/body mismatch. Wig wam has regrind to blame and truly the glue of the flocking (I think). The tip of her ear has flocking loss and is also yellow. She alsk has the letter k under three of her hooves, whicb is quite unfortunate...given she is a white pony....

The question is, can I sunfade these two? I have a uv lamp to put them under. And whaf is the best way to go abouf it?

I don't want to ruin them but I want to know if it's possible.

I can't seem to figure out how to post pics from my tablet though :/

Cheers,

Luke
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Can I sunfade these ponies?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
You can't fade regrind since it's not a stain. I think it might actually speed up the fading of the orange dye if anything.

I don't see why Truly would be a problem, just keep a close eye on her and remove her if there's any problems. I would also worry about how to properly cover her symbol since she's flocked and acrylic paint and tape might damage the flocking, but you could try to wrap her in plastic wrap and paint over the cling wrap or otherwise cover the symbols.

I don't have any experience with UV lamps. Hopefully someone else can chime in on those.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 10:53:09 AM »
You can't fade regrind since it's not a stain. I think it might actually speed up the fading of the orange dye if anything.

I don't see why Truly would be a problem, just keep a close eye on her and remove her if there's any problems. I would also worry about how to properly cover her symbol since she's flocked and acrylic paint and tape might damage the flocking, but you could try to wrap her in plastic wrap and paint over the cling wrap or otherwise cover the symbols.

I don't have any experience with UV lamps. Hopefully someone else can chime in on those.

Thank you for your input. Wig wam isn't as bad as I thought. He will just get a bandana :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »
Are you planning on keeping the flocking or deflocking? The K on the hoof is unfortunate but I've seen plenty of people sunfade those off, just takes FOREVER!

I have a UV light box, it keeps the light even and gets all over the pony. With just a lamp, it should still work but I would put the pony in a way that is so the light can get a direct hit onto the problem areas. Avoid cutie marks, hair and other paint areas by covering with some foil or other material.

You can attempt to wash the flocking only with an Oxiclean bath or just Dawn soap, but since the glue is having issues I personally wouldn't go this route, but you can read more here: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SSCleaning

I would not fade Wig Wam, but Truely has a chance if done correctly! (most likely would have more luck with a deflocked pony)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
Are you planning on keeping the flocking or deflocking? The K on the hoof is unfortunate but I've seen plenty of people sunfade those off, just takes FOREVER!

I have a UV light box, it keeps the light even and gets all over the pony. With just a lamp, it should still work but I would put the pony in a way that is so the light can get a direct hit onto the problem areas. Avoid cutie marks, hair and other paint areas by covering with some foil or other material.

You can attempt to wash the flocking only with an Oxiclean bath or just Dawn soap, but since the glue is having issues I personally wouldn't go this route, but you can read more here: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SSCleaning

I would not fade Wig Wam, but Truely has a chance if done correctly! (most likely would have more luck with a deflocked pony)

I intend to keep ger flocked, since it's almost perfect. Thank you for  the information.
Lover of Windwhistler

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal