collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Image Permissions/Donations for www.strawberryreef.com  (Read 3122 times)

Offline StrawberryReef

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberryreef.com
Image Permissions/Donations for www.strawberryreef.com
« on: April 28, 2021, 04:33:44 PM »
Hi! 

PERMISSIONS
I am trying to cleanup the G1 section of www.strawberryreef.com and I want to make sure that I have given credit for any images used.  If you notice I have used one or more of your pictures and you are not credited in the contributors page here... https://www.strawberryreef.com/contributors.html please let me know asap and I will either credit you or remove it if you would not like it to be used.  I know in my research days, I often would save off pictures but forget to note where they came from and I definitely want to credit anyone that is willing to contribute their pictures.  Images also will state the owner when hovered over them.  If you notice yours doesn't or has an incorrect owner, please let me know.  Everything has been manually inputted and that unfortunately leaves room for mistakes

IMAGE DONATIONS
In addition, if you notice that an image is needed or if you believe you have a better quality image of a pony I have on the site, I would love any picture donations.  Pictures in focus with hair not covering the symbols and with plain white background are preferred.  Please email pics to [email protected]

Images used and needed can be found in each section here... https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G1/G1index.html

I appreciate your consideration and all your help to make this a great resource for all pony lovers.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Image Permissions/Donations for www.strawberryreef.com
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 03:38:47 AM »
Please do not be offended if you don't get a willing response.
I've heard a lot of hurt feelings are rising that you have begun to use work gathered over many years without credit given and it's all for you/your sites benefit.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline StrawberryReef

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberryreef.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »
Please do not be offended if you don't get a willing response.
I've heard a lot of hurt feelings are rising that you have begun to use work gathered over many years without credit given and it's all for you/your sites benefit.

I sincerely apologize.  It was never my intention to use anyone's pictures without crediting them or to take credit for someone else's work.  The website was only ever created to benefit other collectors.  I purposely do not have any ads nor have I ever received any compensation for the years spent on the site or the yearly website fees so I'm not sure how people would think it is all for my benefit?

My only hope was to correct any pictures that I have used without permission or to credit the person.  I am completely willing to take down any pictures or content someone is not ok with me using and I really hope someone will contact me if that is the case since that was the main point of my post.  A lot of my notes of where images came from and what permissions were given have been lost over the years.  I have been trying to maintain a spreadsheet to make sure people are credited.

If you know specific people that were hurt by this, I would ask that you please message me so I can try to make amends or determine which pictures were used without permission so I can take them down.  It breaks my heart to think that I have offended anyone when my intention was trying to help the community.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
Thank you for posting Strawberry Reef :hug:

I understand you want your website to the very best it can and you have put many hours into creating it. Sometimes you get mixed up with who donated what, I have done that, or to use a picture you saved off eBay or a post on Facebook as a "gap filler". I have had that temptation with the Nirvana Gallery, especially with the super rare ponies, but I remember I have to be correct and courteous in my behaviour  :angel: After working so hard to gather all the images for your website, it is just not worth creating sourness towards yourself or your website by using images without permission. In the community, people usually find out in the end.

I have come to accept that the Nirvana Gallery is forever a work in progress, and that is ok :think:

It is also ok to ask, drop someone a message, I don't think I have ever had anyone say "no" to adding an image to the Nirvana Gallery.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »
I don't think SR has any of my pictures, but I think it's good that there's an intent to clean up the issue - you can't undo what's done but you can try and make things right. However I do understand what Loa is saying - I've had pony photos (and large sections of my website text, once) stolen for websites and ebay auctions and it's upsetting because these are parts of someone's collection, often - maybe with an emotional connection as well. I understand about losing records, especially over a long period of time. It can absolutely happen. I now save donated images with the donator name in the filename, since I lost a bunch of mine when I moved web servers. Some of which I will never now be able to use :/

People are also really great about donating images. I have folders and folders of images from people just wanting to help out, seriously. It's okay to ask.

I will say too that my priority is the information. It irked me somewhat to see a new G5 section while the G1 section has been misinforming the internet for the best part of what, ten years now? I'm glad you're looking at this but it should have been the priority before you touch anything new.

I'll also echo PKW, that it's okay to not have everything. It's just that what you have you should make sure you do robustly.

Edit - coming back on this rereading what Loa said, I'm not sure if she meant pictures or also information.

My take on this is that information is there to be shared, but not taken wholesale. Frankly, there are some details I'd be overjoyed to see on mainstream sites, regardless of whether they originated in my research. But I also think it's good to talk to the source of information where you can, and ask what is okay to use.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:36:06 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 01:12:52 AM »
Hopefully people will be direct if they spot that a mistake has been made and then the OP can clear it up. Attributions are as important as content IMO, even though we are internet personas on amateur sites, no-one uses their real name and no-one really makes any money ;)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 12:55:37 PM »
I don’t own any of the ponies I was credited for I believe both piggy ones were mine. Feel free to use them until you find a upgrade. I did have photos of all my rarer ponies unfortunately I deleted them when I sold them on ;( x
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:59:37 PM by Nappercasper »

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 01:22:09 AM »
I think one major thing to start with is to remove the "UK" labeling on many of the ponies. The truth is that most so called UK ponies, where widely available throughout Europe, and in some cases even other countries. Some ponies listed as UK on your site where not even sold in the UK. The UK-pony myth is a misconception that has been debuncted for years now, but still maintained amongst new collectors that uses sites with this information still listed as facts.
I would say that this is also a part in the general higher prices for these ponies, as the term "UK-exclusive" intends that they would be rarer then they really are.

I would suggest to start only with what is verified, and go from there, and then add the variants. I see a lot of mislabeled variants in there now. Better to remove them until they are 100% confirmed, then to spread misinformation, that will only lead to two things. One, a false "truth" that will take years to wash away from the comunity (and adding more years the longer it stays on the site), and second, that your site gets an unfortunate reputation of spreading false information and myths, which from your point of view will be hard to wash off. And as you have put down a lot of hard work into the site, it would be a pity if collectors would recommend other to NOT use the site, as it is full of errors.
Better to have gaps in the information, and know that the information you have is right, then to have lots of information, where a big part is wrong.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 03:17:23 PM »
Echoing what Leikin said.

I know the 'UK' label has had a more detrimental impact on European collectors than people realise.

Even European is a vexed label, honestly, since you have ponies like Mountain Boys who skipped out on mainland western Europe, but were in Scandinavia and Malaysia as well as the UK. And there are ponies like white Tootsie who were all over mainland Europe but not in the UK.

But the problem is also resolveable by removing regional labels in general.

It serves no purpose, really, in this kind of context.

Especially since sites like SR are based on DV's very outdated and frankly damaging template for MLP release years. It was fine in 1996 when there was nothing else, but we know now that there are no ponies sold in the US that were not sold somewhere else in the world.

Just as labelling ponies sold across Europe as UK is difficult for European collectors, and misleading, labelling ponies that were sold globally or in certain other countries as US ponies is problematic for people outside of the US trying to catalogue their collection.

I really don't like seeing ponies that I had as a child called 'US' ponies any more than Leikin likes seeing ponies sold in Sweden labelled as UK ponies.

A website is better incomplete than incorrect.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 10:28:36 AM »
Apologies in advance if I ever say 'UK' so and so. I just mean it was sold in the UK i.e. where I am posting from. I like to collect ponies that were sold in the UK because they were or could have been part of my childhood I guess. If we don't use geography though, do we just refer to the differences in appearance? E.g. Gusty with green eyes and no glitter?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »
...I would say by set. Eg Movie Star Gusty in that case.

I don't think you can avoid geography completely. Just a site like SR which has a lot of trouble because of the filing system/dateline, probably would do better downplaying that as a classification tool. If that makes sense.

Also not separating "UK" or "European" ponies from the ponies sold in the US during the same year, so that everyone, regardless of location, can collate their ponies without having to psychically know which one is a 'European exclusive'.

So the Movie Stars and Mimic's set and so on should be under the same year reference.

Some comment that "X pony was sold predominately in Europe including the UK" "X pony was sold in many countries around the world" "X pony was sold in North America and in some European countries"...in the data is fine of course...

I'm guilty sometimes of talking about UK ponies for the same reason as you, Artie. I think there's a level of that in all of us. The difference is that the "UK" vs "US" pony labels that were imposed on us by DV in 1996 have outlived their usefulness and lead to sites making mistakes.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 01:37:47 AM »
I feel more sanguine about it now since I tend to know what I'm looking at these days and if not I know the right questions to ask  ;) thanks for all your help by the way. However, it must be hard for newer collectors especially when our memories clash with the present-day version of things. It has taken a long time for me to be happy or at least OK with my database.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal