collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Gypsy

have her
16 (45.7%)
want her
16 (45.7%)
new to me
0 (0%)
pass today
3 (8.6%)
army
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: April 27, 2021, 12:04:26 PM

Author Topic: POTD 4/22/2021 Gypsy  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 4/22/2021 Gypsy
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2021, 07:44:48 AM »
Aw, Glitterball and Taffeta, you memories of Gypsy are so sweet <3

British people, I have only one thing to say about pony names, and that is Spunky :lol:
This, & the Perfume Puff Palace for reasons
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 08:16:09 AM »

British people, I have only one thing to say about pony names, and that is Spunky :lol:
This, & the Perfume Puff Palace for reasons

Facepalm.
Also true.

And I'm gonna bring Kiwi Tart up again. I remember when she first came out and we all just went...O.O WHAT?!
Especially as I'm pretty sure she was first found in NZ. O.o.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
I have yet to see a single British person on the thread make any issue with Gypsy's name. I think it is just because we're coming from a different cultural context - but Gypsy is British, so it does matter how British collectors react to her.

Artie's assessment is pretty accurate. It's more a case that the group themselves experience discrimination, but the word itself isn't a slur word in our language. People from those groups can be and are marginalised, but the term 'gypsy' doesn't really convey that here on its own.

Again, I agree with this. I'm British and don't know anyone here who would have an issue with the name "Gypsy". I don't think the travelling community here has much of a problem with it either, as Taffeta said earlier. There are some offensive words for them, but "Gypsy" isn't one of them.

Gypsy is a beautiful pony with a lovely name and she will always stay that way, at least for me, if not for everyone.

Post Merge: April 30, 2021, 10:47:53 AM

I have seen some very sweet customised baby ponies that are just TOO ADORABLE as baby Gypsy; a potential future custom project, especially if BF ever release a baby pony line!

Baby Gypsy would be AMAZING!!!  :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:

Post Merge: April 30, 2021, 10:49:19 AM

I stood there patiently by the stall, watching her until I heard the headmaster declare the fete open. NOBODY else was getting that pony, seriously.

She cost me 30p. I remember it vividly because I was so excited to have one of the early unicorns. Other than Majesty she's the only early unicorn I had - most were not sold here, although my friend had the movie star Gusty.

That's adorable!

Post Merge: April 30, 2021, 10:50:33 AM

Eeeewwww!  :blink:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:50:33 AM by applejackbunny »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
Differing cultural contexts makes a lot of sense with who takes issue with the name and who doesn't. Always an interesting discussion to be had. :) I can certainly think of a few names that British english speakers would take issue with that wouldn't be so scorned here.

My mother is still a bit horrified there's a pony called Crumpet ;)

Aren't those kind of like English muffins? I had those once. Never could find them again.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:58:51 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »
Differing cultural contexts makes a lot of sense with who takes issue with the name and who doesn't. Always an interesting discussion to be had. :) I can certainly think of a few names that British english speakers would take issue with that wouldn't be so scorned here.

My mother is still a bit horrified there's a pony called Crumpet ;)

Aren't those kind of like English muffins? I had those once. Never could find them again.

Yes...they are. They are that. But...erm. Crumpet has another questionable slang meaning. It's a bit more out of date now. Maybe google will still tell you though.

On the subject of this different context thing, too - I feel like what TRTL said is really important and we all have to respect each other's cultural perspectives, rather than jumping in with assumptions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:14:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
Had noo clue about Crumpet. This is why localization matters, I guess. XD

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »
30p was such a bargain, Taffeta, I can imagine you guarding that stall so that no-one would grab Gypsy before you!!

I have seen some very sweet customised baby ponies that are just TOO ADORABLE as baby Gypsy; a potential future custom project, especially if BF ever release a baby pony line!

Baby Gypsy would be AMAZING!!!  :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:

The wee unicorn horn! Just picture those white FRECKLES!!!

In the UK, "crumpet" is slang, pertaining to a lady, one that treated as a sexualised object, for example, "he went out to the pub and hooked up with a nice bit of crumpet" means a guy went to the pub and got lucky with a (sexually) attractive woman... Sort of... Also "to chase crumpet" is when a guy intentionally goes out of his way to find a lady to have physical relations with, not necessarily to have a loving relationship. It's a word that is not used so much these days but the "Carry On" type of movies & their ilk from the 60s & 70s reference the phrase often.

Spunky also means one with a feisty, strong character but in popular UK slang it means something gross and can make a whole classroom of teenage kids hit the floor laughing if read out loud!!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
I think the carry ons are probably why we all still know that particular piece of slang, even if it's really seldom used.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2021, 12:44:50 PM »
I think the carry ons are probably why we all still know that particular piece of slang, even if it's really seldom used.
I can so imagine actor Sid James saying it, than laughing "ack, ack, ack" the way he famously used to!

The word Gypsy, I have read, could have originated from Egyptians *goes scans google*
aha, interesting source: from The Guardian -
link:

"Gypsies were originally thought to have come from Egypt and some of the earliest references to them in English, dating back to the 16th century, call them "Egyptians".

Early European references describe wandering, nomadic communities who were known for their music and skill with horses.

They arrived in Spain in the 15th century or earlier – with records of groups of up to a hundred Gypsies travelling together, often led by someone who termed himself a "count" or "duke" – and held on despite attempts to expel them or imprison those who refused to give up their language and culture
."

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2021, 02:34:37 PM »
Yeah, Sid James xD.
It sometimes surprises me that the Carry Ons have survived this long, tbh, considering everything...

I read that too.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2021, 04:42:25 AM »
Yeah, Sid James xD.
It sometimes surprises me that the Carry Ons have survived this long, tbh, considering everything...

I read that too.

So my friend is British and her parents were originally Punjabi. She says that Gypsy Roma people are also thought to be from North India and that when she was living in Greece working as a scientist people sometimes (politely) asked her if she's a Gypsy.

As for Sid James IDK. I have some mixed feelings because while some of it was clearly not right, I used to love Carry on Cabby etc. Those films showed such a bright, optimistic time in Britain when people had normal faces too, laughing with real wrinkles. I didn't get the feeling that Barbara or Hattie were ever exploited but I've never really read into it much.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2021, 05:49:28 AM »
Not to take this massively off topic, but aside a couple of questionable representations of different cultures (vis a vis the time period) I feel like Carry Ons kind of make fun of everyone, so probably get by?

I've never felt offended as a woman watching them, tbh, even though there's so much risque humour in them.

Although Sid James himself had a slightly questionable irl record when it came to women.

Hattie, Barbara and Joan - all stars eternal.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »
Not to take this massively off topic, but aside a couple of questionable representations of different cultures (vis a vis the time period) I feel like Carry Ons kind of make fun of everyone, so probably get by?

I've never felt offended as a woman watching them, tbh, even though there's so much risque humour in them.

Although Sid James himself had a slightly questionable irl record when it came to women.

Hattie, Barbara and Joan - all stars eternal.

I agree, it's so off-topic now. Partly my fault. And here's to Hattie, Barbara and Joan!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »
Reading this has reminded me of Benny Hill... Now that was offensive! I'm ashamed it was exported to the States tbh.
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal