collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Gypsy

have her
16 (45.7%)
want her
16 (45.7%)
new to me
0 (0%)
pass today
3 (8.6%)
army
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: April 27, 2021, 12:04:26 PM

Author Topic: POTD 4/22/2021 Gypsy  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: POTD 4/22/2021 Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »
"Somehow", "probably". It sounds like you don't even know why you're claiming what you're claiming.

Of course I know what I'm claiming.

The thing is that, in Britain, when we want to make an obvious point but don't want to make the other person feel too bad about it, we dilute our language with words to soften the blow and make it less direct.

A person who bought Gypsy in the eighties spent money that went to Hasbro in profit. If that person sells Gypsy to you, you are effectively reimbursing them the cost of that purchase. It doesn't matter if 36 years has passed. Stuff doesn't stop being derogatory after the passage of time. It also doesn't matter if the name isn't right there on the card glaring out at you. Choosing to spend money on the same pony second hand, knowing her name and identity, is also no different from choosing to buy her in the shop.

I feel like changing the name of the pony is a personal decision.  But it's hard to countenance the argument that calling her Tambourine somehow negates all the other factors in the equation, or gives the renamer any moral high ground.

Incidentally this is not just about Gypsy, but it also applies to Wigwam, and to Kiwi Tart, and to any other pony with a name that can be challenged at the ethical level. The problem is that different names have different impetus in different places and languages, which is why it becomes difficult.

THese ponies are also concepts and backstories, with representation in the pony comic at the very least. It really doesn't matter if you know about those things. They still exist. This of course also extends to their appearance - in the case of both Wigwam and Gypsy, their symbols vis a vis their names.

But on that note, I think I've said all I can say on this subject. I think all the points have been made, and it's for each individual collector to decide how they feel. In the meantime, it's time to move on.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:14:07 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »
Had a family of her - just beautiful!
Downsizing - so they have a new home!

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 01:57:51 AM »
One of my girlfriend's childhood ponies. She reminds me of Elizabeth Arnold's Freya trilogy, a series of books I adored as a child (they were about Freya Boswell, a Romani witch/healer living in the New Forest).

Our pony is called Rodi, it's a traditional English Romani name used since at least the nineteenth century.

(An interesting article about Victorian Romani names, for anyone who is curious: https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2014/05/victorian-romany-names.html)

Back when I had a thread about Ponies in Europe, I think there was some discussion as to whether Gypsy was sold in Hungary, but I don't remember the details.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 02:11:50 AM »
I believe she was sold in Hungary. I'm not sure how that happened, but it seems to be the case.

Also Israel I think?

I was looking through some books from my sale box (advance warning, a price check post will be coming when I can get the pictures off my camera) and Gypsy is in a couple of the read and listen ones. The thing that struck me is that she's really just another magical pony being magical in a magical world. In the one I'm thinking of, she and Hopscotch are doing magic together to track down something the ponies are seeking, and this seems pretty standard.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:16:04 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 07:03:53 AM »
Our pony is called Rodi, it's a traditional English Romani name used since at least the nineteenth century.

(An interesting article about Victorian Romani names, for anyone who is curious: https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2014/05/victorian-romany-names.html)

Interesting read, thank you!

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 07:09:54 AM »
I like her. While I'm not actively looking for her at the moment, I would love to own her one day.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »
She's a beauty. She was once the pony I chose to take on holiday lol. I was camping so I suppose it makes sense... RE: the name I think we had a discussion about this recently but in the UK at least the term 'Gypsy' doesn't automatically have a negative connotation. The polite umbrella term is 'Traveller and Gypsy Roma' which includes Showmen, Irish Travelers, Tinkers and Roma people.  Unfortunately there are have much worse names to call Gypsies if an insult is intended so I doubt 'Gypsy' would bother anyone much.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
I have yet to see a single British person on the thread make any issue with Gypsy's name. I think it is just because we're coming from a different cultural context - but Gypsy is British, so it does matter how British collectors react to her.

Artie's assessment is pretty accurate. It's more a case that the group themselves experience discrimination, but the word itself isn't a slur word in our language. People from those groups can be and are marginalised, but the term 'gypsy' doesn't really convey that here on its own.

Shaz, that's pretty cool :D Nicely done :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:02:11 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »
Differing cultural contexts makes a lot of sense with who takes issue with the name and who doesn't. Always an interesting discussion to be had. :) I can certainly think of a few names that British english speakers would take issue with that wouldn't be so scorned here.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
Differing cultural contexts makes a lot of sense with who takes issue with the name and who doesn't. Always an interesting discussion to be had. :) I can certainly think of a few names that British english speakers would take issue with that wouldn't be so scorned here.

My mother is still a bit horrified there's a pony called Crumpet ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 10:42:01 PM »
Ah, Gypsy.

I love this particular set of ponies (along with Hopscotch, Snowflake, Honeycomb) and it brings up wonderful childhood memories...

...every Thursday evening, Mum would take me along with her for the weekly "big shop". She would go to Waitrose then go with me to the neighbouring little shops in the precinct where I would descend upon one particular newsagent (that sold music, toys, mags, sweets, etc.) how I adored that shop!

I saw this series of ponies hanging in the toy section, and I was smitten! I cannot remember which pony I chose first out of this set, perhaps it was Gypsy, or Honeycomb... I know that an unplanned trip with my Granny resulted in her treating me to Hopscotch... this is where I also bought my MLP and Jem comics. Oh, and some pony wear too!

What a delightful pony - the unusual orange with darker hair - such rich, warm colourings and a contrasting purple eye... and a cute unicorn horn, too! I can remember brushing her hair back in the 80s, kneeling at my parents' white-tiled coffee table, Danger Mouse on TV in the background. Perhaps it was a summer season? I remember it was bright & sunny when I bought & played with these ponies.

I have seen some very sweet customised baby ponies that are just TOO ADORABLE as baby Gypsy; a potential future custom project, especially if BF ever release a baby pony line!

ETA

She was one of the first ponies I searched for on EB when I got back into ponies, I managed to buy a few (tiny army) back when prices were not so crazy, I cannot remember, maybe 7 pounds including p&p, haha just look at the prices today!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:44:28 PM by glitterball »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2021, 12:36:43 AM »
That's a great memory :D Funny how sunny memories seem to go along with ponies!

I also really love that set. I had Snowflake as a child from new, but Gypsy was second hand. I've mentioned it before, but it was Dad's school fete, on the orange stall. And I had to wait for the fete to open before I was allowed to buy her, so I stood there patiently by the stall, watching her until I heard the headmaster declare the fete open. NOBODY else was getting that pony, seriously.

She cost me 30p. I remember it vividly because I was so excited to have one of the early unicorns. Other than Majesty she's the only early unicorn I had - most were not sold here, although my friend had the movie star Gusty.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2021, 12:50:44 AM »

My mother is still a bit horrified there's a pony called Crumpet ;)

Yes! There are way worse. My Dad thinks Pinkie Pie is hilarious. I have no idea why  :blush:

That is a really nice memory. I wish I could go to a car boot sale with 30p and buy a G1!

@Glitterball that's a lovely memory!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:53:44 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2021, 01:42:01 AM »
Aw, Glitterball and Taffeta, you memories of Gypsy are so sweet <3

British people, I have only one thing to say about pony names, and that is Spunky :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
Aw, Glitterball and Taffeta, you memories of Gypsy are so sweet <3

British people, I have only one thing to say about pony names, and that is Spunky :lol:

Oh god no. Don't even :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal