collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it okay for ponies to touch clay  (Read 1289 times)

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Is it okay for ponies to touch clay
« on: April 21, 2021, 05:49:53 PM »
I really wanted to do some pony customizing But I can’t find any duplicates. So I wanted to put ponies in clay to make molds from them. Will clay damage their paint or hair or could I easily clean the clay off with no issues.

[Moving over to customs, hopefully this will get you more answers/input. -- Thanks, Tailrustedtealeaf]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:49:28 AM by tailrustedtealeaf »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Is it okay for ponies to touch clay
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 02:29:50 AM »
It would most likely damage them in some way. It could ruin their hair or damage the paint.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 03:01:45 AM »
Polymer clays(Fimo, Sculpty, etc) will eventually bond with certain plastics they come in contact with before they’re baked.  It takes a little while, but I’ve had bricks of unbaked polymer clays melt plastic items that were left touching them for a while. I don’t know what effect it’ll have on the pony plastics, but it’s very possible it’ll do unfixable damage. Maybe not immediately, but any pieces or residue that remain after cleaning are a potential problem. It’s also possible for any dyes in the clay to stain the ponies. 

My advice would be to pick up some extremely nasty bait ponies in the poses you want, and use them exclusively for mold making. A lot of collectors end up with some pretty wretched ponies, and you’ll probably be able to find something for cheap if you ask around.  All you really need is for the body to be intact - stains, haircuts, and paint damage are irrelevant. You’ll want to get rid of any hair for these mold making ponies anyway. Hair will just mess up the molds.

Also, most people who make molds use silicone or other speciality mold making materials to make molds.  Clay is probably not the best material for it.  Different clays have different issues, but most of them are likely to make brittle, stiff molds that could break easily when removing the ponies you’re making. I’m sure there’s a lot of information online for mold making tips and recommended materials. 

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 04:19:38 AM »
All of what Taxel and goddessofpeep said. You'd want baity/hairless ponies for mould-making, and even then it's not a very straightforward process - casting is an art form of its own! (See e.g. Tiella's/SoulcookiesCo.'s wonderful resin casts - it took her a long while to perfect the technique, though.) It would be much simpler, quicker and cheaper to just get some baits for customising, unless you specifically want to practise making your own casts.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 05:13:18 AM »
I'm using air dry clay so I don't know if that'll work differently I never bought or used silicone before but I did think if I put the pony in clay it would peel the paint off I also was using it because I have this one fakie that I can't find anywhere else so I thought I could make molds of it since it's so unique but I probably shouldn't ruin something that special I remember leaving clay accessories I made on my old ponies and it left these red marks but it was a different type of clay
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:17:03 AM by ponyprincess2021 »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 05:56:15 AM »
You need someone with a 3d scanner , that would be better than clay
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal