collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to Maim your Flip n' Flow Seapony (Actually Useful+Finished Custom!)  (Read 1606 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I thrifted one of these, started defrizzing, got mad her hair was cut, so I'm going to rehair mine. Here's the steps I took to actually be able to do that.

Getcha horse and cut her hair off.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That's one short hair horse.

I will not be talking about how to get the fins out. I tried to just yank 'em but I was afraid the plastic would rip. If anyone takes these out for whatever reason, I'd love to see a better process!

But you can see how these connect in to the body. They may be glued, but I didn't see anything that looked like it.

You can't yank the head off. At least, I haven't found a good way to do that. What I did is I simply cut down the back of her neck up to the front hair plugs and took her head off like a mask.

There is a lot of glue. Most of it is on the hair and the back of the neck. You can see in the picture that there is also a large bulb that holds the colored water when you tip her upside down. This is why we struggle.

It looks like the hair is rooted, glue was insert into the head, and then pushed onto the bulb. A lot of the hair on the back of the neck stuck to the bulb and I had to use a knife to pick it away.

What a pretty horsey.

Here's the mask face that came off. I did put it back on the bulb for a short time and it looks like the plastic is stretched over the bulb which helps to hold it on-it's a bit short to make it. Not a problem for me since I was anticipating having to use apoxie sculpt to seal up the seam again and paint over, but something to consider if you do not have that nor any other sort of adhesive at your disposal.

Here's the bulb then without most of the hair. There's still a lot of glue but you can see where it's concentrated now:

No Finished Look pictures since I have to order the hair now and decide what to rehair her as (or maybe customize? I'm thinking). I didn't split the body but I wonder if it would be possible to replace the colored water with some other colors (or put glitter). I'll think about it some. :)

I hope this helps if anyone else wants to rehair or simply just likes watching ponies get cut open!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:50:29 AM by tailrustedtealeaf »

Sig by Starscout <3

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: How to Maim your Flip n' Flow Seapony (Actually Useful?)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »
I love watching ponies get cut open. No but seriously, this is a cool thread. Thanks for sharing.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:13:16 PM »
This does not look fun, but it is interesting to see how these Ponies are put together
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 08:46:37 AM »
I haven't seen technical a thread like this for ages, thank you! I love knowing how they are put together and can't wait to see the final result!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:57:56 PM »
I see tealeaf is at again.   :shocked: :whoa:   ;) Jokes aside, best of luck in pulling this off, you brave,  determined person.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 11:50:15 AM »
I finished her up!

You can see a bit of apoxie sculpt peaking out by the back of her neck. I couldn't really find a way to better get the face to meld back on. And I just haven't bothered to fix the peaking out bits since it won't be viewable on a shelf.

I did a blend of Glory, Sapphire, Buttercream, and some pink and I think cornsilk? from Shimmerlocks.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
She looks fabulous! Kudos to you for even attempting this, I'd take one look at the bait and go "lol nope" :silly:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
She looks so good now, and congrats to you for having the courage to take one of those apart!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
You did her proud xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Well done! She's beautiful!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
She turned out great!

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
WOW! I never would have suspected that you had to skin her ... :yikes: Great job, thanks for sharing!! But wow, that looks daunting ... I think I'll let mine keep their skins. :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Wow, your determination is impressive!  And she looks lovely with that new hair! 

The way the head was originally constructed is just so disturbing...the face/mask thing just peeling off!?   :shocked:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Thanks for this! Super cool

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal