Pony Talk > Pony Corral

35-40th Anniversary ponies - Mark IV

<< < (4/57) > >>

toyjunky:

--- Quote from: Lilja on April 19, 2021, 04:09:53 AM ---It'd be really evil if they decided to sell the babies blind bagged. The newborn twins would be especially suitable for this. People would want to complete the twin pairs as well as trying to get the full set. :biggrin:

--- End quote ---

That idea is absolutely evil...... don't give them any ideas.
On the bright side, the Posey set I bought on ebay (for way too much than I prefer) arrived early, are perfectly fine and are in the same 3 language box that everyone is seeing.

In regards to the question of "Why don't they have their own store, why not sell to collectors online, etc." the reality is Basic Fun is a toy company making products for kids. Despite the fact that we are enjoying buying them, the target market is kids (and for parents who have kids to remember having them and then wanting to buy them for their own kids).

There is a really good video (if your interested) that this particular YouTube channel has in regards to how to tell if toys are designed for kids or collectors and it also has a brief discussion of why certain products and not others are given retail space. The person that made this video worked for Mattel at one point and a lot of the videos on their channel give insights into the toy industry decision making processes. While they generally do talk about action figures, a lot of the same information applies to toys/toy brands in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3hHVlXxMY

serena-hime:

--- Quote from: toyjunky on April 22, 2021, 05:07:48 PM ---

In regards to the question of "Why don't they have their own store, why not sell to collectors online, etc." the reality is Basic Fun is a toy company making products for kids. Despite the fact that we are enjoying buying them, the target market is kids (and for parents who have kids to remember having them and then wanting to buy them for their own kids).

--- End quote ---

I actually spoke with Basic Fun about this a few days ago when I was thanking them for replacing a defective pony, and they explained that they just aren't 'set up' to create and run an online platform to exclusively sell their products- which is sad, but I think BF is a bit smaller than the bigger toy companies (MGA, Hasbro, Mattel etc) so that would explain why it's not on the table.

I don't think I'd agree that it's because the Retro line is entirely intended for kids; they frequently talk to collectors and acknowledge the requests of collectors for certain ponies, reveal which ones are coming next, etc so they definitely understand that both adult MLP collectors and the more casual, nostalgic adult customer is a primary driving force behind this line, so if they had the ability to sell them online I think they likely would.

In other news, they didn't confirm or deny that the line will be ending after the TE set; they basically just said it depends on whether or not retailers will pick up any other sets in the future- they also indicated that while Cracker Barrel and Meijer are the only major retailers picking them up, they do also have a distributor who sells to small specialty shops!

Since there are a few smaller shops carrying the Posey set, I hope they'll be getting the TE set as well.

Taffeta:
In fairness getting online retailers on board would probably be enough.

Over here knex imports them and that seems to be the case even with the trilingual boxes so I am hopeful...

Our small retailers have had the posey set.

Snapdragon:
One thing that concerns me about the Basic Fun marketing for MLP is that their Instagram feed is nonstop Care Bears, with occasional breaks for Pound Puppies; there's almost no MLP, and there hasn't been for months now. I don't necessarily think that it's that instagrammers aren't posting about them, but that BF is choosing not to highlight those posts. There's also almost no Strawberry Shortcake, who's currently at my Target while MLP is not.

I really hope Target gets the line again, or we at least can get a standard place to find the latest releases online!

Magicharp:
I've seen a lot of Care Bears in the toy section of my local Wal*Mart store I visited a few days ago to pick up some socks I ordered online. There should be MLP in the section as well. But alas, no MLPs found, but there are lots of Care Bears and Cave Club dolls on the shelves in the MLP/doll aisle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version