collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Convention Questions  (Read 242 times)

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Pony Convention Questions
« on: November 08, 2022, 11:07:17 PM »
I’ve always wanted to go to a Pony convention but have never been able to as of yet. I have a few questions I feel like may have been answered at a convention during a Q&A and am curious to know anyone knows the answers to these?

1. How many Ponies we’re sold each year in the USA/North America from 82-92?

2. What was the reason North America never released ponies after 1992 when Hasbro released a new TV show?

3. Does the MLP movie or Televison show have unreleased episodes or cut scenes that have never been released?

4. How many ponies were sold from 2003-2008 (G3 line)

5. How many ponies were sold during the G4 line?

Thanks for your help. :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Pony Convention Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 07:59:01 AM »
I'm curious as well, but I think only Hasbro knows the answers to these! Conventions tend to grab folks who were involved in various branches of the toyline, but not sales.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 08:50:34 AM »
3. Does the MLP movie or Televison show have unreleased episodes or cut scenes that have never been released?

Honestly I'd be really impressed if even Hasbro knew the answer to this one x) That's more of a Sunbow answer and idk if they'd even remember specific details at this point.

I don't imagine there'd be much unused animation, if any. From what I've read, etc, usually things get cut before the animation stage - if anything fully animated does get cut, it's usually just little snippets to make sure the ep doesn't run over.

There's probably some unused storyboards, though who knows if they still exist... I wish we knew more about the production side of things.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 07:47:57 AM »
“right from the horses mouth” aka Hasbro would be the best source on these.
maybe theres a wiki somewhere? or corporate info page?

none of these questions are like “trade secrets” so you might just be able to ask them via social media or customer care… or drive over the Rhode Island and visit their corporate offices.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:44:57 AM »
I am not clear if you are asking how many in terms of product quantity or how many individual characters in the line? The latter would be easy to find out by counting up on most ID sites, for G1 and for G3.  Also G4 if you used MLPMerch.

I don't see the point in wanting to know about individual ponies sold in the US, though, since both the US line and the 1992 cutoff date are arbitrary and irrelevant in the big picture of G1. I am not sure if that is true for G3, may depend if you want to include 3.5 or core 7.

BUT if you are talking about the number of products overall, yeah, it would have to be Hasbro. And I will guarantee that they almost certainly don't know.

With the animation, the people who would know, aside Sunbow as a company, would be those who were involved in the writing, production, storyboard, script etc. I've said it before but we're lacking scripts and other material for MLP. With Jem there's a lot of such material, although I don't think there are any unreleased Jem songs or episodes. That makes me think MLP probably doesn't have much either. ANimation was much harder work in the 1980s, you'd think they'd use or reuse as much as possible to save costs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 08:47:02 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 04:33:36 PM »

I know that on the netfix series (Toys that made us - I think that's the name) episode about ponies, I think I remember it said the first year of actual MLP they said in the show $80 million PLUS in sales. Most ponies back then in the USA were like $2.99-$3.99...I'd say that's a lot of ponies.

Edit addition: I just rewatched the netflix toys that made us episode and one of the creators said they were doing $100+ million in sales for most of the 80's. And they were actually at one point struggling to keep up with demand and coming up with new ideas, etc. Not sure if that's the reason it sort of abruptly ended, but it may have factored into why they stopped sorta suddenly.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:42:35 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal