collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Apoxy Sculpt vs. Milliput  (Read 1506 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Apoxy Sculpt vs. Milliput
« on: April 08, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
Has anyone used both of these products for pony customs and liked one better than the other? I've researched this online a bit, and it's pretty evenly split on which people prefer, but nowhere did I find anyone using it on plastics similar to MLPs. I would be using it to repair the horn of a bait Baby Moondancer that I purchased without realizing it was broken off before she arrived, and for redoing the eyes of a de-BBE'd baby pony who I managed to crack the inferior material I originally used during a rehair I did on her.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Apoxy Sculpt vs. Milliput
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:15:18 PM »
I've used both, but its been awhile since I've used Milliput.  I think maaaaybe Milliput hardens a bit more rigid than Apoxie Sculpt?  Honestly I think both would be fine.  I found them both to have similar feel and ease of use.  When I was in England I used Milliput because it was easier to get, now I use Apoxie Sculpt for the same reason. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 08:23:27 PM »
I've used both, but its been awhile since I've used Milliput.  I think maaaaybe Milliput hardens a bit more rigid than Apoxie Sculpt?  Honestly I think both would be fine.  I found them both to have similar feel and ease of use.  When I was in England I used Milliput because it was easier to get, now I use Apoxie Sculpt for the same reason.

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting that Apoxie Sculpt is easier to get here in the states; one of the reasons I started considering the Milliput was because it was showing to be available at several retailers here, where AS seems to only be available on Amazon. If I can buy something in a store vs. having to order it, I will usually choose that route...mostly because I'm impatient! Oh well, it's looking to be the same price no matter where I purchase it, so I'll probably just order from good ole' Amazon anyway. The AS seems to have a longer shelf-life, so I'm leaning that direction. I won't be using huge quantities of this in a hurry, so I'd hate to buy it and have most of it dry up because I couldn't use it fast enough.

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »
You can put Apoxie Sculpt in the fridge for a longer shelf life :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting that Apoxie Sculpt is easier to get here in the states; one of the reasons I started considering the Milliput was because it was showing to be available at several retailers here, where AS seems to only be available on Amazon. If I can buy something in a store vs. having to order it, I will usually choose that route...mostly because I'm impatient! Oh well, it's looking to be the same price no matter where I purchase it, so I'll probably just order from good ole' Amazon anyway. The AS seems to have a longer shelf-life, so I'm leaning that direction. I won't be using huge quantities of this in a hurry, so I'd hate to buy it and have most of it dry up because I couldn't use it fast enough.

I was able to buy Milliput in the store in the UK, but here I just order Apoxie Sculpt direct from the company (Aves), no need to go through Amazon or anyone else.  If you can buy Milliput in a store near you (I couldn't find either kind down here where I live), you might just try that!

Apoxie Sculpt comes in separate plastic tubs so that might be what makes it last longer.  The Milliput I used to get came with each piece wrapped in thin plastic and then placed together in a cardboard box.  I actually had some leftover Milliput that I had left half-used in the box for about about ten years and about half of that was still usable.  I thought that was pretty impressive but maybe AS will last even longer with its separate tubs!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
I'll probably just order the Apoxie Sculpt then. I'll check out the Aves website to see if it's any cheaper too (hit or miss depending on shipping, since at least Amazon shipping is free!). I like the idea of it being in the plastic tubs; the rest of the AirDry Sculpey I had used originally on the pony's eyes is already feeling drier than it was brand new, even though I took the precaution of double-wrapping it and sealing it in a ziploc bag.

I'm not 100% positive it was available in-store...I saw it on the Hobby Lobby website, and I assumed that meant it could be purchased there, but I went back to look, and while it gives the option to order online, it doesn't say one way or the other if it's in-store as well. I was just there a couple days ago too...wish I'd thought to check!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal