collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Eye Jewels and Jewel Eyes!  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Eye Jewels and Jewel Eyes!
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »
I recently discovered that my Clever Clover is missing one of his eye gems. Does anyone have a recommended size/brand etc. for replacement jewels for G2s?

Also looking for good twinkle eye type gems for G1 twinkle eye customs and G3 twinkle eye customs. I think I'm going to have to build my own Mimic at the rate her prices are going.
 :lol:

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
Re: Eye Jewels and Jewel Eyes!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 02:14:46 AM »
The G2s have regular colored stones so you can replace them with any that fit their size. Here is a link to a former thread where people talked about sizes, colors and where to get them:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,348809.0.html

As for the G1 TE ponies I have used different techniques:

1. Swarovski Shimmer gems

The two ponies below were done with Shimmer color stones from Swarovski in size SS34. Shimmer named stones have a base color and a more transparent AB (= aurora borealis) effect on top while the AB categorized effect is more opaque and you don't see the base color through very well. They give a real beautiful effect but are available as flatbacks only in the required size so you may prepare the eye hole differently from the next technique.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

2. Airbrushed Swarovski AB gems

The girl below was done using AB chatons (the diamond shaped crystals), which got a transparent airbrushed layer on top. The color allows to let the AB effect shine through while giving color to them too. Why didn't I use AB chatons in the correct color? Because they are not available. In SS34 you only get regular colors but no AB colors - only AB itself but not any other colors.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 06:52:59 PM »
This is so incredibly helpful. Thank you so so much!! Hoarding this info! I'm hoping to make myself a Mimic at the very least since I'll never afford a real one. I'm drooling over your customs as always, they are flawless.

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 11:42:49 PM »
This is so incredibly helpful. Thank you so so much!! Hoarding this info! I'm hoping to make myself a Mimic at the very least since I'll never afford a real one. I'm drooling over your customs as always, they are flawless.

I'm so happy I could have helped you. If you ever need the 2nd variant eyes let me know and I can send you some. I found it very difficult to match Mimic's eye color with the shimmer swarovski's as only a few colors were available in the needed SS34 size. That's why I made some for my custom. (btw the bait was a HQG1C Pony True Blue)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 11:55:23 PM »
I have another question related to twinkle eyes. I have a partially-customized Party Time with eyes that are in terrible shape and I'd like to replace them. Are there any tutorials out there explaining how to get the eyes out? I just peer in the head and see these weird blobby bulges and I'm lost on what to do. I'm terrified of ruining her.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »
I think it's like the BBE, you soften up their heads and push on the bulbs until the eyes pop out!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 06:42:22 AM »
I think it's like the BBE, you soften up their heads and push on the bulbs until the eyes pop out!

Exactly what tailrustedleaf said is the thing to do. Giving this lady's head a really hot bath and you can pop them out. However getting them back in is a nightmare and I never managed to do this. So I filled the holes and replaced them with swarovski crystals.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:31:11 AM »
My only worry is she's already had a fullbody repaint!! So I'm not sure I'll be able to boil her head. :(

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 01:56:12 AM »
My only worry is she's already had a fullbody repaint!! So I'm not sure I'll be able to boil her head. :(

Ah that was an info we didn't have before. Then a hair dryer would work too (hopefully).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal