collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hi pony friends  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
Hi pony friends
« on: March 29, 2021, 05:07:10 PM »
Hi friends, just popping in after ... *checks watch* ... seven years ... to ask where everyone’s getting their nylon hair from these days. I’m in California. Hoping to rehair a lovely childhood Posey.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Hi pony friends
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 05:36:52 PM »
I suggest Shimmerlocks personally. If you type Posey into the search bar, the hair you need for her will pop up!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 08:15:59 PM »
I think people are still ordering from Dollyhair to some degree.  I've also recently ordered from a couple other places, you can see how the hair turned out here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,399945.0.html  I also ordered from CustomPony but I haven't added it to the thread yet - I will say that their match for fading pink hair (Posey's color) didn't seem bright enough.  I know RetroDolls is popular, too, they were restocking last time I checked so I haven't tried them, but that was months ago so def worth checking them out.

Shimmerlocks is next on my list to order from and compare, they look amazing  :cool:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 08:35:11 PM »
I've had good luck with Shimmerlocks, too! She is helpful if you have questions, and responds quickly. I've found though that her color to match fading pink is a tad bright for Posey (the color is actually called 'Posey'!); it is more of a match to G4 Fluttershy, I think. She does disclose the difference on her website and says she is hoping to get a closer color in soon. It's nice that she offers a sample-size hank for $1 if you are unsure if it is a color match.

I ordered some HQG1C hair off of Etsy (it might have been from AHorseOfEveryColor?), and I think it might be a closer color, but who knows exactly what the original fading pink looked like. I'd like to try Custom Pony next...just haven't gotten around to placing an order yet.

Here are the 2 shades, HQG1C on the left, Shimmerlocks on the right:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 08:57:28 PM »
but who knows exactly what the original fading pink looked like.

I had a Rosedust flutter pony until recently with SHOCKINGLY bright pink hair!  I kind of wish I still had her soley for the purpose of matching her hair color.  It was incredible, never seen fading pink hair that bright before in any photos or on any pony I've had.  I had another Rosedust that I had THOUGHT had pretty good pink hair, until I saw this one.  Looking at the two was like looking at the two hair examples in the photo you posted.  The original owner basically had kept the whole set of flutters in storage since soon after she got them and they were MINT.  I would say that hair was as bright as G4 Fluttershy's but I don't think I ever directly compared them...  Ha ha I'll stop ranting about this pony's hair now XD
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 08:57:42 PM »
Shim. Mer. LOCKS!!

I love everything that Shimmerlocks has sent me, has answered my questions remarkably fast, and even sends some treats for you with orders! Would 100% recommend! They also have a rewards program where you get points depending on the products you order which serve as discounts for future orders! The search function is also a godsend, just type the pony name and the results are the website's best matches to that pony! (Try Mimic or some other multicolor mane ponies)

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 11:08:09 PM »
Yay, west coast ponies! :frolic: I also second (third?) Shimmerlocks, she's fab! So fast, so helpful! If you've got an Instagram, she's very active on there if you have any questions! I've also had great experiences with Dolltress.com, Dollyverse https://www.etsy.com/shop/thedollyverse and CustomPony.com! I haven't had a chance to work with the CustomPony hair yet, but it seemed a little more matte in the baggie than the nylon I'm used to. I'll have to look at it more!

I've also bought from TheDollPlanet, and RetrodollsUK, now DHEmporium, but I would lean against those for you personally. TheDollPlanet has very stiff nylon, and it won't lie the same on a MLP as the original nylon would. DHEmporium is in the UK, and with shipping hikes, I had to pay $20 as base shipping for three hanks of hair! (Luckily it was only $4 extra for more hanks, so I added a bunch!) The hair I got was lovely though!

And just to add... Basic Fun is releasing a reproduction Posey this year! So you could always go steal her tail if you really wanted. :lmao:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:13:51 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 05:33:01 AM »
I haven't had a chance to work with the CustomPony hair yet, but it seemed a little more matte in the baggie than the nylon I'm used to. I'll have to look at it more!

Is the Custom Pony hair not nylon? I was so hoping to order a few colors that Shimmerlocks doesn't carry, or doesn't have an exact match, but if it's not nylon, I'll keep looking.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 05:35:29 AM »
Dollyverse https://www.etsy.com/shop/thedollyverse

Ooh, new to me! Very nice colors. I'll be sure to try this hair out :D