collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Mimic Phenomenon  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The Mimic Phenomenon
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »
Definitely more gooseberry than peach.

...Maybe that's Mimic's colour. Gooseberry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2021, 12:45:40 PM »
Hm yeah, could someone w/ an account edit that bit out of Mimic's article? I'd do it myself but I don't have an account on there; maybe it could just be rewritten to make it clear that's speculation and not proven fact?

I'm running off to work right now, but I caught this and edited the article. Left the sought after part there as she is... well, sought after. We're just not sure why. :lol:

Awesome, thank you! <3

Offline Nienor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
Update: I experimented a bit with different dye colours to create my custom mimic. First, I tried the neon Rit dyes (a combination of neon yellow and neon green) on a custom blank pony. Unfortunately this type of dye does not seem to work. I ended up boiling the pony for 1 hour within the dye until it had some colour and of course the pony was burnt by then. I believe that the issue was that this type of dye is for fibres that contain up to 35% synthetic materials, so not ideal for ponies. I then tried the Rit dye for synthetic fibres, although they do not come in neon colours, so I tried a combination of the daffodil yellow and the peacock green colours. I did not boil the pony this time, but had a stainless steel bowl on low heat instead. Fortunately, I tried it on the burnt pony from the previous experiment, because this one was a failure as well, as I probably put too much dye and the end result was a khaki-green-coloured pony. At the final attempt, I used the neon colours again with a tiny bit of the synthetic colours on a new custom blank pony, which worked, although most probably it was the synthetic colours that did the work. I think the result is quite good and the colour seems very close to that I see online. I included a link with a picture, although I think the colour seems more yellowish than it actually is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XB4wDVAACrtBDef-P8Mz9vAD39nq3BTe/view?usp=sharing

Some tips in case you want to experiment as well: 1. use just a little bit of dye (better to submerge the pony a couple of times than to end up with a very dark colour), 2. I suggest to use a ratio of about 1:10 (G:Y) of green and yellow, although you might want to try out different ratios, 3. do not boil the water- heat the water in low heat instead, 4. as the first attempt might be a failure, you might want to get a spare or two of blank ponies, or experiment on a white bait first.

Hope this helps  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »
Update: I experimented a bit with different dye colours to create my custom mimic. First, I tried the neon Rit dyes (a combination of neon yellow and neon green) on a custom blank pony. Unfortunately this type of dye does not seem to work. I ended up boiling the pony for 1 hour within the dye until it had some colour and of course the pony was burnt by then. I believe that the issue was that this type of dye is for fibres that contain up to 35% synthetic materials, so not ideal for ponies. I then tried the Rit dye for synthetic fibres, although they do not come in neon colours, so I tried a combination of the daffodil yellow and the peacock green colours. I did not boil the pony this time, but had a stainless steel bowl on low heat instead. Fortunately, I tried it on the burnt pony from the previous experiment, because this one was a failure as well, as I probably put too much dye and the end result was a khaki-green-coloured pony. At the final attempt, I used the neon colours again with a tiny bit of the synthetic colours on a new custom blank pony, which worked, although most probably it was the synthetic colours that did the work. I think the result is quite good and the colour seems very close to that I see online. I included a link with a picture, although I think the colour seems more yellowish than it actually is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XB4wDVAACrtBDef-P8Mz9vAD39nq3BTe/view?usp=sharing

Some tips in case you want to experiment as well: 1. use just a little bit of dye (better to submerge the pony a couple of times than to end up with a very dark colour), 2. I suggest to use a ratio of about 1:10 (G:Y) of green and yellow, although you might want to try out different ratios, 3. do not boil the water- heat the water in low heat instead, 4. as the first attempt might be a failure, you might want to get a spare or two of blank ponies, or experiment on a white bait first.

Hope this helps  :biggrin:

Thank you! The khaki color was what I was hoping to avoid with the synthetic colors...that was why i was hopeful about the neon colors. I didn't realize you could actually burn the pony...I'm lucky that didn't happen to the one I tried (I made a post about my Mimic-dye experimentation in the HQG1C forum somewhere), since I did the exact same thing you did with the mixture of neon green and yellow dyes, and left her in for close to an hour! I got the pony to take the color, but it looks more like a mint green.

Guess I'll pick up a bottle of the synthetic Peacock color and see if I can tweak something to look like yours...I already have the Daffodil. Thank you for posting these tips and ratios, it is helpful!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
I found some "Mimic" swatches at B&Q, there are some fun colour names here!

Problem: I do not own an original Mimic, so cannot do a proper comparison!!

oh no, imgur has changed, cannot get a link to the foto, will try to see if I can edit this post later...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal