collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Information on licensing?  (Read 2494 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Information on licensing?
« on: March 03, 2021, 04:46:44 AM »
Howdie! Has anyone ever reached out to Hasbro about licensing the MLP IP for their fanart? Or would you have any info on how to go about it all?

I've been doing pony art for a while now, via POD sites, mainly G1 focused, and I was wondering whether it would be necessary or worthwhile to look into licensing - just to be on the safe side in the long run, because Hasbro seems to be pretty cool with fanart offered online.
I'm sure that when using the IP name and their new retro style vectors it could be useful. But what about the old art style - like Moschino did a while ago? Is that even protected at all anymore? Even the old rainbow logo has been minorly revamped it seems, for the G4 to G1 ponies. So I was wondering do they still have a say - legally - on anything actually old school (minus the brand name)?

Maybe HQG1C has any info to share?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Information on licensing?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:50:32 AM »
I have not, although I work in a business where we purchase artwork, and license artwork for use on our product.

Actually, there's a part of the company that DOES license MLP artwork, but I'm not associated with that part of the company.

But what about the old art style - like Moschino did a while ago? Is that even protected at all anymore? Even the old rainbow logo has been minorly revamped it seems, for the G4 to G1 ponies. So I was wondering do they still have a say - legally - on anything actually old school (minus the brand name)?

YES.
They still currently use the "vintage" style for licensing, which can be seen on apparel and stuff.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Little-Pony-Retro-Classic-Ponies-Short-Sleeve-Shirt-Small/920176731
https://www.zazzle.com/store/mylittlepony/products?cg=196032527059270799

And even if they weren't currently licensing that stuff out, they still have the right to protect their IP.

They control what they want to be put out. They give the official artwork to the companies that are making the product. They need their artwork being used to protect their brand and IP.

So they are not going to be ok with redrawing anything that remotely looks like their vintage/retro style.. even if it's another character that they don't put on products.

They also already have a contract with Zazzle (see above), which is also POD. So they might not even be ok with their stuff being on other POD sites if that's an exclusive contract. 

Fanart is in a grey area when it's in the artists unique style. (And some companies will strike that stuff down immediately like Disney-- even if it's in the artists "own style"). If it's something that is ripping off Hasbro's vintage style, it's certainly not ok, even if other people are getting away with it.

All that said ---- It would be better to find a company that makes apparel with fanart, and see if you can get your product on those sites.. because they probably have some sort of agreement with the companies. (Teeturtle, theyetee... etc)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:14:37 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal