collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 81657 times)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #570 on: July 26, 2021, 04:14:40 AM »
Anyone post these yet? The pic of Izzy with strands of hair hanging off both sides of her head looks so funny. Glad these have the more traditional rooting patterns rather than the human-esque styling ponies though. Of course, the ponies in the animation have more human-looking hair themselves so the toys won't look as "show accurate".
Yeahh I'd rather have the human-style rooting than male pattern baldness Izzy :lol: And what's with the molding on the inside of their legs? I get that these are budget versions, but you could say that about most of G5 so far. :huh:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 26, 2021, 07:05:12 AM »
I hate the new names too, Leave a Whisper. I thought the new naming style (Sunny, Izzy, Pipp etc) was cute, but now they're steering right back into G3/G4 ad-lib territory. When do we get our first Sweetie-something Something-Sparkle?

Anyone post these yet? The pic of Izzy with strands of hair hanging off both sides of her head looks so funny. Glad these have the more traditional rooting patterns rather than the human-esque styling ponies though. Of course, the ponies in the animation have more human-looking hair themselves so the toys won't look as "show accurate".

Give them a minute to rearrange a new Sweetie-something-something-Sparkle name.   :huh:

Eww those look bad. I see we're going back to bloated, balding chihuahua heads.   :nope:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 07:17:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2021, 07:44:17 AM »
I hate the new names too, Leave a Whisper. I thought the new naming style (Sunny, Izzy, Pipp etc) was cute, but now they're steering right back into G3/G4 ad-lib territory. When do we get our first Sweetie-something Something-Sparkle?

Yuck, these are really fugly! I appreciate the more normal rooting as opposed to the human scalp-style, but that's where their appeal ends. The too-close-together eyes, the Eugene Levy eyebrows (which is probably an insult to Gene Levy since I like him!), and that weird inside-the-leg molding! Is that soft plastic that G1s were made of just not a thing anymore? Kids like to hold and carry their toys around...any hard plastic monstrosity, especially a large one, is never going to be any kid's go-to favorite. I'm predicting most of these will end up in the bottom of the toybox.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »

Yuck, these are really fugly! I appreciate the more normal rooting as opposed to the human scalp-style, but that's where their appeal ends. The too-close-together eyes, the Eugene Levy eyebrows (which is probably an insult to Gene Levy since I like him!), and that weird inside-the-leg molding! Is that soft plastic that G1s were made of just not a thing anymore? Kids like to hold and carry their toys around...any hard plastic monstrosity, especially a large one, is never going to be any kid's go-to favorite. I'm predicting most of these will end up in the bottom of the toybox.

Oh I dunno. My daughter loved carrying around her big Optimus Prime. He is made of very hard plastic.  I know this because she dropped him horns down on my foot once.  >_< :lol:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2021, 08:49:08 AM »

Oh I dunno. My daughter loved carrying around her big Optimus Prime. He is made of very hard plastic.  I know this because she dropped him horns down on my foot once.  >_< :lol:

Ouch!! That must have hurt. I guess now that I think on it, my girls carried around these big hard plastic Toy Story toys for a while, to the point where I had to ban Rex from being taken in the car...I was afraid his pointy tail was going to go through somebody's eyeball if I had to stop suddenly! Someone swung him at my face once and that was the last straw. Maybe I'm just projecting; I wouldn't have liked 'em as a kid so I assume every kid wouldn't. Stuff always had to have some kind of tactile appeal to me. I liked it best if I could squish it!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »
Dear Hasbro,  please stop throwing darts at names, and going with whatever it landed on. Dazzle Feather, Ruddy Sparks and Zoomwing are dumb.

If they did that then what games would play at the company cocktail party? :rofl:

I think some of the ponies in the Amazon set are cute but I don't like the symbols being placed at the tops of their legs.  It doesn't look right to me.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »

If they did that then what games would play at the company cocktail party? :rofl:

Drinking games, from the sounds of some of these name/symbol pairings!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »

Ouch!! That must have hurt. I guess now that I think on it, my girls carried around these big hard plastic Toy Story toys for a while, to the point where I had to ban Rex from being taken in the car...I was afraid his pointy tail was going to go through somebody's eyeball if I had to stop suddenly! Someone swung him at my face once and that was the last straw. Maybe I'm just projecting; I wouldn't have liked 'em as a kid so I assume every kid wouldn't. Stuff always had to have some kind of tactile appeal to me. I liked it best if I could squish it!

Ooh that definitely had to hurt.  :blink:

Post Merge: July 26, 2021, 11:06:35 AM

Dear Hasbro,  please stop throwing darts at names, and going with whatever it landed on. Dazzle Feather, Ruddy Sparks and Zoomwing are dumb.

I think some of the ponies in the Amazon set are cute but I don't like the symbols being placed at the tops of their legs.  It doesn't look right to me.

Ponyfan

:lmao:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2021, 06:16:31 PM »
New unseen set of molded hair G5s. There's some non-Mane 5 finally but I wish they were brushables. Hitch isn't included in the set.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Movie-Collection/dp/B08TQJ7DFP/

I really like all the different colors on the wings!  And how everyone has slightly different eye shapes.

I love the mint-green-haired pony  ^.^
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #579 on: July 27, 2021, 05:04:22 AM »
I just realized who chili pepper pony reminds me of. Branch the troll

Maybe I'm slightly loopy but I think it's the eyelashes that look like eye wrinkles to me 0_0 lmao

Wishlist

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #580 on: July 27, 2021, 05:11:45 AM »
Honestly I was reminded of the Blind Bag pony named Pepperdance when I saw the Chili Pepper G5 (pretty sure that one is named Ruddy Sparks?)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #581 on: July 27, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »
I have 3/5 of the molded mane figures, and I'm very surprised that they have slightly different proportions! Izzy and Sunny are similar, but Izzy has a thinner body with a thicker neck and Sunny is more pear-like. Izzy also has slimmer ears and a wider face. Pipp is shorter and a bit thicker! Why oh why are the brushables not the same proportions!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 27, 2021, 02:35:34 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't realize they all had different eye shapes AND there's a couple different body styles! I know these toys aren't what everyone wants, but they really feel like they've had some good effort put into them. I still don't see myself ever going out of my way for these style of ponies, but I'm sure I'll eventually collect a few at some point once they start showing up at thrift stores.

As for the discussion on soft vs. hard bodied toys, I definitely remember as a kid carrying around my hard plastic horse toys absolutely everywhere. And these were more horse-proportioned with long, thin limbs. They never broke (except the one I purposefully threw at the wall in a fit of rage), and it never bothered me that they weren't soft. So I can definitely see why lack of soft plastic is not exactly a deal breaker for kids nowadays.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 27, 2021, 02:58:16 PM »
I just realized who chili pepper pony reminds me of. Branch the troll

Maybe I'm slightly loopy but I think it's the eyelashes that look like eye wrinkles to me 0_0 lmao

LOL You're not wrong. The 2-D G5 art looks pretty Trollish too!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 28, 2021, 02:23:03 PM »
These have probably been posted already but I saw them today for the first time.

Drinking games, from the sounds of some of these name/symbol pairings!

Another favorite company cocktail party game (after they lose all the darts) is drawing two different names out of a hat and putting them together. :lol:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal