collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 79898 times)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2021, 07:40:12 AM »
They both look uncanny, bizzare and generic. Like MLP, even G4, had a distinct look to them that you could just tell a part from other horse toy lines but these look like they could be made by anyone/be from any line

The heads are too close to human heads it makes me uncomfortable to look at, the hair being rooted only to the crown of the head does not help either. The necks are too long and placed weirdly with the head, the legs are not great either

I also don't like the "mechanical" look of pipp either but that comes down to cheapness in engineering
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:54 AM »
The heads are too close to human heads it makes me uncomfortable to look at, the hair being rooted only to the crown of the head does not help either.

Oh yuck, I can't believe I never noticed that about the hair rooting...you're right, it is just on top of their heads! I knew it had a humanoid hairline in the front, but until now I guess I just assumed it ran down their necks in a line like a mane, too. Ugh. Pass, unless they change this.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2021, 11:19:17 AM »
I guess Pipp looks better from those pics (just not a fan of that orange colour Sunny is, something about it just bugs me, can't put my finger on it. I prefer Pipp's eyes too), but their faces are way too flat! They look too human, it's unsettling. Pipp's wings do look better here than in the animation though, and I like the feathered hooves. But yeah, these are a total pass for me. :/

Not a fan of the mechanics on Pipp either, but honestly I'm not a fan of toys like that in general, so that's not really anything specific to her.

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2021, 06:15:32 PM »
I hate to say it but as much as I didn't like its designs, at least G4 never dared to mess with their hair, it almost feels like they realized they cannot make their heads any less horse-like without actually making their faces concave, so they decided that the next best thing in their mission to take "Pony" out of "My Little Pony" would be to shrink their manes to the area of human scalp...
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 06, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
I hate to say it but as much as I didn't like its designs, at least G4 never dared to mess with their hair, it almost feels like they realized they cannot make their heads any less horse-like without actually making their faces concave, so they decided that the next best thing in their mission to take "Pony" out of "My Little Pony" would be to shrink their manes to the area of human scalp...

G4 is no better in that regard.  They don't go down their necks and there's a big bald spot on their chihuahua heads from continuous receding hairlines.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #245 on: May 06, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
I'm not so bothered by the hair placement. Maybe I'm a G5 apologist, I dunno, but it reminds me of G3.5 and I like G3.5. I think the scalp-style works well for Pipp Petals and so long as it's thick enough, it should cover Izzy just fine for me. I'd like to see more pictures, of course, and maybe they'll adjust the scalps according to who the pony is. It does look like Sunny's has a bit more of a round hairline while Pipp's looks straight across, but it could be the angle.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 06, 2021, 08:20:28 PM »
G4 is no better in that regard.  They don't go down their necks and there's a big bald spot on their chihuahua heads from continuous receding hairlines.

They don't? Oh, I though I saw a G4 toy somewhere with a long mane combed to the side, but then again I don't know much about G4 so I may have seen something wrong. Either way, even if they were shorter, at least they still sort of looked like horse manes instead of forming a horizontal hairline like a human doll, so it's still a downgrade for G5 in my eyes.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2021, 08:38:00 PM »

They don't? Oh, I though I saw a G4 toy somewhere with a long mane combed to the side, but then again I don't know much about G4 so I may have seen something wrong. Either way, even if they were shorter, at least they still sort of looked like horse manes instead of forming a horizontal hairline like a human doll, so it's still a downgrade for G5 in my eyes.

They go back down their bulbous heads,  but  not their necks like a horse's. I see what you mean about the horizontal headline.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:41:00 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline lalalei2001

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2021, 11:07:20 PM »
Pipp looks cute, but Sunny's face looks blocky. I wonder what they look like when they're being played with!

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:37 AM »
They go back down their bulbous heads,  but  not their necks like a horse's. I see what you mean about the horizontal headline.

So pretty much, they went from actual horse manes to manes the length of human scalp, to human-like hairlines? Let's just hope that by G6 they still have tails...
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »

So pretty much, they went from actual horse manes to manes the length of human scalp, to human-like hairlines? Let's just hope that by G6 they still have tails...

Ha!

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2021, 12:46:41 PM »
Not  fond of the ponies becoming predators... quite creepy and cheap looking.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2021, 05:00:11 PM »
well grrr, I was trying to find the other G5 post because MLP's FB page updated their cover photo and we get all 5 characters in one shot
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline TwilightStarshine

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2021, 03:16:42 PM »
I see it both ways a little bit. Yes, toddlers and young kids like repetition, but it's the adults buying them the toys and no parent wants to spend money on the same thing repeatedly. (...) Once So I guess it just depends on who's doing the picking...the parents or the kids!

Older kids want more variety too, I think, at least I did. I remember when the SS ponies came out, my sister and I were annoyed that many of them were re-leases; we felt like we could cross Posey, Lickety Split and Gusty off our checklist because we already had those ones.

I agree, but I will once more offer my 'sad 80s/90s kid perspective' on this (I actually said the same a long time ago when Hasbro was pumping out one G3 re-release after the other). When I was a kid, most of the earlier G1s were no longer available in stores. I would have done anything to own either a NSS or SoSoft Magic Star, Wind Whistler or Buttons. I remember searching the shelves for them, asking the employees if they could order them from Hasbro. I managed to find other ponies of course- but not the early ponies or any of the fantastic euro variants that were actually sold in stores over here. 

:cloud:

Therefore, I would argue that re-releases are very important to children. A few re-releases each year are acceptable in my humble opinion because some children might discover MLP in year 6 rather than in year 1. However, I agree that unique additions to the MLP herd are most important if Hasbro wants to keep children interested. Furthermore, those unique releases are at the heart of MLP. I think G3 got it right when it comes to the proportion unique single releases and re-releases. I still have 3 (!!!) boxes full of Pinkie Pies and Mintys, and at least 5 or 6 Sunny Dazes and Sparkleworks, but most of the G3 ponies were unique (except all the Core 7 and G3.5 stuff of course).

I think it's funny so many people prefer the Pipp toy to Sunny because they look the same to me but Pipp's hair style is hiding the head shape better.

I noticed that as well.  ^.^ I think the hairstyle of Sunny is not particularly flattering for her face shape. The ponies look very, very cute if you style them with the face framing tendrils.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:24:23 PM by TwilightStarshine »

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2021, 05:23:56 PM »
I would be okay with the body it looks a little weird though. But the head and the face are the worst part. They look similar to g3.5 which wouldn’t be a problem if the body actually fit with the head. It looks like they tried to give it a g2 body but then tried to put a completely different toy head on it. The hair doesn’t look good and the necks are too long. Also their heads look way too human to be actual ponies and it worries me for future pony generations.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:24:57 AM by ponyprincess2021 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal