collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 80679 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2021, 01:19:25 AM »
so much head  :shocked: ! I didnt like G2 as they looked more like the rip offs you could get in the cheapo shops so not really liking the body either so I dont think I will be getting them or watching the cartoon :shrug:
I will be sticking with the G1 rereleases   

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2021, 08:19:26 PM »
I don't hate them or anything, they got things I like, and things I don't like about them.  I guess I'm somewhere between neutral and on the fence.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2021, 04:29:36 AM »
I kind of wish they would go back to the Neck and Head being one piece again and there being a turning point at the base of the neck.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2021, 06:41:39 AM »
I kind of wish they would go back to the Neck and Head being one piece again and there being a turning point at the base of the neck.

Me too

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »

Me too

I'm always thinking about pony necks, but recently I've been thinking about them more, but in a Different Way.

G1 and G3 were more like sculptures in a way. They have a basic shape to them, but the head is separate from the body, only because of the hair and tail (I guess? Why DO the ponies have a separate head if they're just going to glue it shut? Is hairing that big of an issue when Barbie horses and Grand Champions have brushable "sculptures" as well?). With everything being one shape, you can have much more expressive and dynamic poses. A moveable neck isn't a priority.

G2 poses were very basic. They had moveable heads from the get-go, but the poses were samey. Some had a raised leg, some had their feet in a certain position, but nothing crazy. The heads were all the same, really. Compare that to the Posey pose, where the pony's chin is up, the Dibbles pose head looking down, the Sugarberry pose sort of leaning to one side. For G3, some heads had the ears pointing in different directions, some eyes were different (Diva pose vs Donkey pose, you know what I mean... not sure how to describe it lol). G2 is less of a "sculpture" and more like an "action figure", which I think limits the pose possibility. This includes the head.

G4 had one pose for years until the 2017 reboot, but then, it had the same issue as G2. Yes you get "new poses" but it all ends up being samey because of the head having to be a certain way. It's not a "sculpture" at that point, but an "action figure"/"doll". I have no idea why they went with what they did for 2017. It's ugly and the neck worked fine with the original G4s. But with Pony Life, it makes sense since they're on a ball joint. The movement of the head then is more important than anatomical accuracy (yet the G1 Peekaboo babies exist).

With an "action figure" type head, the head/necks tend to be in a fixed, forward-facing position, like with G2 and G4. The only reason a G5 head should be how it is is if it's on a ball joint like G4.5 If it's not well... it's just ugly. :P If the head is able to move in any direction, up and down and left and right, it might be more appealing to children-- better/more expressive during play and whatnot, and easier to groom hair.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2021, 07:49:36 PM »
The general feeling I get from this is very middle of the road--they wanted to change the style just enough to where HOPEFULLY the Bronies won't find them sexy but also close enough to G4 that hopefully the Bronies will still be appeased and follow along for totally SFW reasons so Hasbro can continue to get that sweet sweet Brony cash.  -_-

I sadly gotta tell you that a quick internet research shows that certain people are already fawning over the two girl ponies, especially Izzy. I'll say at least the nature of the toys will probably repel a lot of them. In G4's darkest timeline Bs went into the doll isle in groups and filmed themselves freaking out over the toys. But I somehow doubt this will happen this time. Bs have their own conventions now where they can exhibit this behaviour and soil their brushables and whatever else the crazed portion of them loved to do.
oh god wHY
WHY DO THEY HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

(btw you're far braver than I, I dare not go anywhere near the Bronysphere of the internet, I think I've experienced enough of it for the rest of my life thanks  XD

Me too

I'm always thinking about pony necks, but recently I've been thinking about them more, but in a Different Way.

G1 and G3 were more like sculptures in a way. They have a basic shape to them, but the head is separate from the body, only because of the hair and tail (I guess? Why DO the ponies have a separate head if they're just going to glue it shut? Is hairing that big of an issue when Barbie horses and Grand Champions have brushable "sculptures" as well?). With everything being one shape, you can have much more expressive and dynamic poses. A moveable neck isn't a priority.

G2 poses were very basic. They had moveable heads from the get-go, but the poses were samey. Some had a raised leg, some had their feet in a certain position, but nothing crazy. The heads were all the same, really. Compare that to the Posey pose, where the pony's chin is up, the Dibbles pose head looking down, the Sugarberry pose sort of leaning to one side. For G3, some heads had the ears pointing in different directions, some eyes were different (Diva pose vs Donkey pose, you know what I mean... not sure how to describe it lol). G2 is less of a "sculpture" and more like an "action figure", which I think limits the pose possibility. This includes the head.

G4 had one pose for years until the 2017 reboot, but then, it had the same issue as G2. Yes you get "new poses" but it all ends up being samey because of the head having to be a certain way. It's not a "sculpture" at that point, but an "action figure"/"doll". I have no idea why they went with what they did for 2017. It's ugly and the neck worked fine with the original G4s. But with Pony Life, it makes sense since they're on a ball joint. The movement of the head then is more important than anatomical accuracy (yet the G1 Peekaboo babies exist).

With an "action figure" type head, the head/necks tend to be in a fixed, forward-facing position, like with G2 and G4. The only reason a G5 head should be how it is is if it's on a ball joint like G4.5 If it's not well... it's just ugly. :P If the head is able to move in any direction, up and down and left and right, it might be more appealing to children-- better/more expressive during play and whatnot, and easier to groom hair.

These are super good points Ragamuffin! I agree, as much as I love G2 and the style of it it didn't really look like authentic MLP and yeah the poses were all the same. There's only a few ponies you can tell apart and that's only because they have specific poses.

Nothing will ever beat good ol G1's pose variety, though G3 definitely came close. I think it also boils down to an issue of less poses = less money spent paying sculptors to make new bodies. After all, kids are TOTALLY stupid so they'll totally be satisfied by a bunch of ponies that are all shaped the exact same but with different colors, right? Poses? Who needs em, because less poses means MORE SAVINGS FOR THE COMPANY!  :yucky:

Perhaps a bit overdramatic but I'm sure it definitely plays a part in their decision making process.  :rolleyes:
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline PeachyPie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2021, 10:45:38 PM »
To me they look like Creamsicle.

My thoughts exactly. Though I think Creamsicle is much much cuter.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2021, 04:35:34 AM »
Those were some good points, Ragamuffin, though I personally have G3s who are not in the core 7 pose that have turning head (that's how they were designed).

I just feel the heads would look better on G5 if they had that natural transition for the head and neck (and maybe make the heads less... like a balloon?). It reminds me how the brushable for Celestia looked, even though there was a slight transition there was just something that bothered me about that figure.

What was the size for these again?

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2021, 09:32:25 AM »
I'm so sorry I just logged in to see what a G5 is. Pardon me while I go wash my eyes with bleach.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2021, 01:54:15 PM »
There is a new post on MLP Merch that has the plushies
https://www.mlpmerch.com/2021/04/first-g5-plush-spotted-on-taobao.html

They show Sunny, Izzy, Pip, and Zipp and with their symbols (looks like the plushies have them on both sides)

Sunny: 3 pink stars with the larger one having a blue trail
Izzy: What looks like a blue heart button symbol
Pip: Musical note with the top in the shape of a crown
Zipp: A pink and blue lightning bolt with a crown on the top
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 02:13:00 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »
Well those look cuter than the toys we've seen so far, they have actual snouts lol

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2021, 07:22:01 PM »
Well those look cuter than the toys we've seen so far, they have actual snouts lol

Sorta

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2021, 07:29:34 AM »
I did a quick edit of the new toy! The thing that bothers me the most is the skinny neck and the super short snout!
I hope they'll tweak them a bit!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2021, 07:32:20 AM »
I did a quick edit of the new toy! The thing that bothers me the most is the skinny neck and the super short snout!

Looks a bit better. Now you just gotta angle that neck forward like an actual pony and bingo! Wish the moulds looked more like this.  I'd actually buy some.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:37:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »

This looks a lot better! I have little hope for this generation, I loved G4 but these ones take the flat-face thing a bit too far, and I also don't like how the mane is so round in the front, almost like a human hairline. I think the G4 FS ponies did the thicker mane perfectly, a few extra rows but still shaped (mostly) like what you'd expect from a horse mane.

The feathered hooves are nice though!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 10:17:25 AM by serena-hime »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal